05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Shaker Subs w/Aftermarket HU & Amp

Search this Thread

Old 8/30/06, 08:26 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Shaker Subs w/Aftermarket HU & Amp

I told you guys I wasn't up on all the intricacies of the aftermarket audio systems, but dammit I will do this install one way or another
Would this be the correct way to wire the Shaker Subs to an aftermarket H/U with an aftermarket sub and amp? The Shaker 500 Side is the Metra Wiring Harness for our cars (pictured below), so it would have the factory wiring after the harness. To the Aftermarket Sub Amp would be RCAs and the Red & Blue Lines are the Y-Adapters.
Also this would be the Subwoofer Pre-amp from the HU.

Attachment 8200
Attachment 8201
Attached Thumbnails Shaker Subs w/Aftermarket HU & Amp-y-adapter.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 8/30/06, 05:21 PM
Cobra Member

Almost. On the Metra harness, either of the RCA's go to one amp (mono signal). I can't remember which color is front/rear. Put your Y on one of those, and run that to an amp. Don't split the signals. If it isn't making sense, I'll edit your pic in a little bit.
Old 8/30/06, 07:17 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Infinity
Almost. On the Metra harness, either of the RCA's go to one amp (mono signal). I can't remember which color is front/rear. Put your Y on one of those, and run that to an amp. Don't split the signals. If it isn't making sense, I'll edit your pic in a little bit.
Either it is not making sense or I didn't clarify my setup or maybe a little of both .
I don't want to hook the Factory 8s to an aftermarket sub. I already have an aftermarket sub running a 12" sub in the trunk.
I just want to run the factory 8s off the HU using the existing factory amps. (Eventually will replace them when a good fitting sub is made if ever)
Is that even possible?

Here is a picture I did of what I want to do. (if it is clear enough to read, I have it in excel if you want it in that form.)
I have the amps installed and the Driver side wires etc ran.
The only thing I am unsure of is the factory 8s, I am not for sure how they are wired or if the amps are on one side or both sides.
Attachment 8252
Attached Thumbnails Shaker Subs w/Aftermarket HU & Amp-system-setup.jpg  
Old 8/30/06, 07:57 PM
Cobra Member

With you now. You'll only use ONE of the RCA's in the harness, with a Y on it to connect to the stereo outputs on your new head unit. Like I said, I cannot remember which color it was, but I THINK it was the red one. Obviously, if that one doesn't work, use the white one

The amps are located in the driver's kickpanel. The one closest to the door runs the passenger woofer. You won't have to mess with them, as everything will run from the harness. The only issue you may have is a turn-on noise in the 8's. It won't hurt anything, but if you have the problem, LMK, and I'll wak you through fixing it ($2 fix to do it correctly).
Old 8/30/06, 08:25 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

With you now. You'll only use ONE of the RCA's in the harness, with a Y on it to connect to the stereo outputs on your new head unit. Like I said, I cannot remember which color it was, but I THINK it was the red one. Obviously, if that one doesn't work, use the white one

The amps are located in the driver's kickpanel. The one closest to the door runs the passenger woofer. You won't have to mess with them, as everything will run from the harness. The only issue you may have is a turn-on noise in the 8's. It won't hurt anything, but if you have the problem, LMK, and I'll wak you through fixing it ($2 fix to do it correctly).
Wow, I am really confused now Why would I only use one of the RCAs coming out of the Metra Harness? Wouldn't that only run ONE of the factory amps ? or are they somehow connected to each other?
Sorry I am so stupid on this I just don't want to screw up any of my equipment
You might need to draw me a picture
The HU has 3 pre-amp outs front/rear/sub I have all three of those taken up; the front & rear by the 4-channel amp and the Sub by the Mono amp.
I would need to connect the 8s to the HUs sub pre-amp right ? or am I just totally lost
Old 8/31/06, 07:00 AM
Cobra Member

The 2 amps that run the 8's are both fed signal from the red RCA jack. The white one fed the signal to all 4 of the S1000 amps- if equipped. So, the red jack needs to be attached to your head unit, be it front/rear/sub, that's up to you. It's all in how you want to control them.
Old 8/31/06, 07:50 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

The 2 amps that run the 8's are both fed signal from the red RCA jack. The white one fed the signal to all 4 of the S1000 amps- if equipped. So, the red jack needs to be attached to your head unit, be it front/rear/sub, that's up to you. It's all in how you want to control them.
OK, that makes sense now I couldn't get passed each RCA being for a different amp.
So now I still have the question of whether or not I can run the 8s and the 12 off the same SUB pre-amp from the HU without hurting anything.
Old 8/31/06, 10:16 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Ok, after I thought about it for awhile, I believe this will work. Since I am just splitting the SIGNAL this shouldn't affect anything, right? If I am wrong PLEASE let me know.
Attachment 8288
If this doesn't work at least I am getting some drawing practice
Attached Images  
Old 8/31/06, 07:35 PM
Cobra Member

That will work. BTW, your drawings are nice. They're clear and concise.
Old 8/31/06, 07:59 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

That will work. BTW, your drawings are nice. They're clear and concise.
Great & Thanks I appreciate ALL your HELP, this newb doesn't know what I would have done without it
Old 9/1/06, 06:43 AM
Cobra Member

I have a pretty good grasp of this system now, so anything else, just holler.