05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Shaker 500/ 1000

Search this Thread

Old 8/7/05, 06:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone had problems with replacing the Head controller due to Shaker Amps already in the car and built in Amp in the unit or did you tear the whole interior out and remove the Shaker Amp
Just looking at Best Buy and the saleman said thy wont touch a mustang with the shaker system due to this problem
Old 8/7/05, 07:03 PM

Originally posted by CDGun@August 7, 2005, 5:45 PM
Anyone had problems with replacing the Head controller due to Shaker Amps already in the car and built in Amp in the unit or did you tear the whole interior out and remove the Shaker Amp
Just looking at Best Buy and the saleman said thy wont touch a mustang with the shaker system due to this problem

No need to tear anything up. Just bypass the amps and leave them in place. Add your replacement head unit, replace all the speakers (except the door subs which can still be used), add subs in the trunk and then add 1 two channel and 1 four channel amps to power the system.
Old 8/7/05, 07:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by azguy@August 7, 2005, 7:06 PM
No need to tear anything up. Just bypass the amps and leave them in place. Add your replacement head unit, replace all the speakers (except the door subs which can still be used), add subs in the trunk and then add 1 two channel and 1 four channel amps to power the system.
Don't listen to best buy, go to a custom stereo shop for advice, someone you can trust though. I replaced my speakers, with the EFX and I kept my 8 inch woofers, But I'm running three amps, a mono,a two channel and a four channel. I have the mono going to the 12 inch woofer box in the trunk. the two channel powering the 8inch door woofers and the four channel is powering the 5x7's. And I just unhooked the factory amps and left them in the car. I still have the shaker 500 for now. But it's sounds good.
Old 8/7/05, 08:10 PM
Cobra Member

i replaced mine with a clarion flip out DVD unit and have ALL the shaker 1000 speakers working!..Nice thing about it for me was the clarion systems output to the front door components is higher than the factory headunit so i now have a much richer sound than before and since the installer put in a line level adjustment on the subs (front and back) he cranked them up a bit too and now the front subs pound wayyyyyyy more than before.
Old 8/8/05, 08:17 AM
Cobra Member

Asking for stereo advice at Best Buy is like asking for stock market advice from the corner drug store.

If replacing the head unit is all you want to do to your vehicle, there are wiring harness adaptors that work great. Just wire it to the new head unit, plug it in to the factory plugs for the skipper, and everything works. I replaced the skipper1000 in mine with an aftermarket unit. All speakers, amps, and even the delay off after key removal work fine.
Old 8/8/05, 10:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Didn't ask for advice @ best buy, was just there looking at all the pretty lights and of course the salesman wants to make a sale...
Old 8/9/05, 07:36 PM

Heh, Here's a perfect example of why not to use best buy other than cheap stuff.

My Best Buy guys told me that they didn't know where the VSS wire was, and that I'd need some dealy mounted to the outside of the car unless I could find it and that the subs WOULDN'T work.

I've found since that people have installed the AVIC-D1 Pioneer head unit just fine w/o VSS (but some folks have been nice enough to give me wire locations) with little/no modification.

SO now I have my dash kit & wires from Crutchfield and I'm going to attempt it myself.
Old 8/13/05, 03:54 PM
Cobra Member

The VSS wire is not a requirement to make the system work, but without it on some systems ( possibly all? ) you will not get a correct vehicle speed reading, your trip times will not calculate, and in some extreme cases your trip navigation will not work.