05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Shaker 1100

Search this Thread

Old 8/15/06, 06:02 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shaker 1100

In case anyone didn't see this reference in another thread, I've compiled a website journal of adding a trunk subwoofer & amp to the Shaker 500. It might be of some use for do-it-yerselfers. Comments welcome:

http://www.savkomedia.com/kevin

Old 8/15/06, 08:04 AM
GT Member

Looks great and I'm sure it sounds even better. I have one question though. Couldn't you have used a relay along with a switched power source instead of the manual switch in the center console? This way you could still get your power directly from the battery, but the switched power source and the relay would take care of turning the power off when the car is off. I'm new to 12V electronics, so I'm not sure if this would work.

Great job and thanks for posting the great write-up.

-TRB
Old 8/15/06, 08:22 AM
V6 Member

You're right, I could have used a relay. But, my old-school knowledge is such that I don't know the Mustang wiring well enough to be sure which 12v switched line I could tap (without smoking some computer circuitry or something), so I took the safe/sure route, keeping the intrusion on the factory wiring to a minimum. Other than the direct taps to the battery, the only other connection is to the factory pre-amp level line from the head unit.
Old 8/15/06, 10:03 AM
GT Member

Good to know. Thanks for the reply.
Old 8/15/06, 10:34 PM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
KevinS, one thing i made sure of during my install, is not to drill a single hole anywhere in the car..
now i'm left with the "Remote Punch Bass" which you also have with your RockfordFosgate amp.. where did you install that and how?
mine spent a few weeks dangling by my clutch, then i stuffed it up between some cables and looms
Old 8/16/06, 06:55 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by G.T
KevinS, one thing i made sure of during my install, is not to drill a single hole anywhere in the car..
now i'm left with the "Remote Punch Bass" which you also have with your RockfordFosgate amp.. where did you install that and how?
mine spent a few weeks dangling by my clutch, then i stuffed it up between some cables and looms
I drilled two holes, one for the amplifier/cap ground connection in the trunk up under the rear deck, and one in the console for the button.

Funny you should mention the remote bass controller because mine is still on the driver side floor! I didn't want to mount it anywhere yet because I wasn't sure how often (or even if) I would be using it. I left a lot of extra cable up front to keep my options open as to where it would go.

After a couple days of listening I see that I am going to need it to be easily accessible because I'm always fidgeting with it.

On the other hand I don't want it to be visible to someone peeking into the car. I've decided that I'll be using adhesive-backed heavy duty velcro to mount it so that I can easily just take it off and stuff it somewhere to hide it if needed. With that method it can easily be mounted in a variety of places without drilling or other permanent mounting damage. I'm still figuring out where the best spot to put it is. I'll add to the web site once I get that in place.