05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Shaker 1000 vs Shaker 500

Search this Thread

Old 9/8/05, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all...

I ordered my 06 with a Shaker 1000.

Does the 1000 have the same amps that the 500 has?

Does the 1000 have the same quality (or low quality) the 500 has?

I've read about people adding amps and new speakers to the 500. Is this recommended for the 1000?

My car should be here tomorrow.
Old 9/9/05, 01:48 PM
V6 Member

I initially didn't want the Shaker 1000, but it was in the car that I eventually bought. It sounds pretty good, actually...

And it's 1000 watts, vs the 500 watts in the Shaker 500.
Old 9/9/05, 02:59 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When looking for Mustang's, I was just looking for the 500 (since my last Mustang had the 460), but the one I got had the 1000... It's nice. It's not Pioneer, but for stock, it's pretty darn good, well, as soon as they fixed the skipping problem...

I love being able to put 6 discs worth of MP3's in the dash... Even on my long trips, I never run out of music to listen to...

As for overall quality, I would listen to it for yourself to see if you'll want to upgrade any of the components... For me, I have had my car for almost 7 months and I think it still sounds quite good... Good enough not to want to upgrade anything anyway...
Old 9/9/05, 03:28 PM
Queen Of Nascar

Thats nice to know. I ordered with the Shaker 500 and was wondering how it sounded too.
Old 9/9/05, 03:49 PM
Cobra Member

the 1000 sounds considerably better than the 500..I heard them both before choosing the 1000 and for a former Car audio installer I can honestly say the 1000 is one of (if not the best) factory system i have ever heard
Old 9/10/05, 09:52 PM
Cobra Member

subzero05,

You do realize that the ONLY difference between the S500 and the S1000 (not counting the label on the main unit of course!) is the extra two 250 watt (peak) amps and the two 10" subs in the rear enclosure? Otherwise, they are EXACTLY the same. Same speakers. Same head unit. Same amps. Same wiring. You make it sound like the S1000 is some huge upgrade all the way around over the S500 and it isn't.

I did a lot of side by side listening before I ordered my car back in January. I came to three basic conclusions:

1) My 1981 Ford F100 sounds a LOT better than either Shaker system! (no, it isn't stock. Just a pair of very nice 6.5" component speakers, a pair of 8" subs, decent amps to drive them and a decent head unit) Because of the power and speakers, my pickup is just much cleaner and crisper than either of the shakers. But the S1000 DOES have MORE bass than my truck. Just not as crisp and clean.

2) The S1000 DOES sound better than the S500, but only in the low octaves (as would be expected given what it is in comparison to the S500!). The highs and mids are exactly the same between them.

3) The S1000 is NOT worth the $1400 upgrade price over the S500! Not even close. For that money, I can pick up a JL Audio 12W6V2 and a VERY nice, TRUE 500 w RMS amp to drive it. A bit of wood work and fiberglass work and I will have a much better sounding system than the S1000 for quite a bit less money, but for quite a bit more work and hassle.

I do have to agree with you that the S500/S1000 is one of the best factory systems I have heard. But until they quit putting $2 speakers in each hole, they will NEVER sound as good as a well thought out aftermarket system. Just like lipstick on a pig: It doesn't matter HOW much they equilize things, they can NOT make those crappy little speakers produce the full range sound that a high performance speaker can. They just clean up what it DOES produce a bit.
Old 9/11/05, 10:04 AM
Cobra Member

RRRoamer~..I agree with u totally.THERE are much better systems that can be had for the upgrade cost of the 1000.i am not discounting that at all.I am obviously aware of the differences between the 2 systems as well and the minor upgrades the 1000 has over the 500.What I am saying is that for a "stock" audio system the 1000 is a nice unit compared to those found in other vehicles.I would not pass up a nice stang on a lot that has the 1000 in it just because I didn't want to pay the extra $$ for the upgrade.i would certainly get the car anyways.I have since replaced my factory headunit with a clarion flip out DVD unit and also replaced the rear deck speakers with a set of 5x7 component "plate speakers.i re-wired the entire system and was able to to increase the "gain" level on all the factory amps,thus increasing the overall output of the 1000 system.Sound quality and crispness is much improved,there is much more BASS coming from the front 8's now than before and I have some separate highs coming from the rear deck.So,my basic response is you can get one heck of an audio system out of the 1000 if you do some minor upgrades and I would not hesitate to recommend it to somebody looking at a car that has one in it.
Old 9/11/05, 08:24 PM
Cobra Member

subzero05,

Ok. I can definitely agree with your statement about not hesitating to recommend a S1000 equiped car to someone.
Old 9/11/05, 08:57 PM
GT Member

Subzero05, I'd love to hear about the wiring upgrades!
Old 9/12/05, 04:06 AM

Thanks for your answers guys.

I may replace my speakers on the S1000. Though I'm not sure about the 10" subwoofers, if they are cheap also?

A few weeks ago after I was reading about better after-market stereos that had other things I wanted such as an LCD screen and integrated GPS, Sirius radio, etc - I asked to change my order to remove the Shaker 1000, but it was already too late.

So for now I'll stick with the Shaker 1000, put my Sirius Sporster in the glove box, and probably put a suction cup holder on my windshield for the GPS (ugg).

Any recommendations on speakers? Though this may have been covered already in other threads.
Old 9/12/05, 03:00 PM
Cobra Member

darrennye,

I can make a few recommendations on speakers. I installed a pair of JL Audio 8W3V2s (2 ohm per coil in this case) in place of the factory door subs. It took some work to fit them (the motor assembly on the JL speakers is HUGE compared to the factory 8" speakers!), but they sound so much better it amazes me (and anyone else who heard the before/after!). This one upgrade definitely exceeded my expectations considering I am using the factory head unit as well as the factory sub amps! I did a long writeup on what was required in a thread in this sub forum, so do a search and you can see exactly what is involved (as well as how tiny the motor is on the factory 8" subs!)

I also picked up a set of Polk Audio MMC6500 6.5" component speakers to replace the door speakers. These are the same speakers I have in my pickup and they absolutely KILL the stock speakers. One very important note: I have NOT installed them yet. Why? No time due to moving! Hopefully, they will be installed soon!

As for you factory 10" speakers, I would be willing to bet good money that the drivers are probably NOT the best speakers in the world. I would also be willing to bet you can do a drop in replacement with a pair of real subs and really improve the bass quantity as well as quality. Don't have any details for you, but I know someone else here has already done it!
Old 9/12/05, 06:05 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by subzero05@September 11, 2005, 12:07 PM
SNIP
i re-wired the entire system and was able to to increase the "gain" level on all the factory amps,thus increasing the overall output

I need info on this. What did you actually rewire to increase the gain? Also, unless the factory setup isn't properly gain-matched (which wouldn't surprise me), how can you increase output without adding THD into the mix? I'm getting ready to change out all the factory speakers/amps for my good stuff (custom components from Vifa, Elemental Designs flatcone subs, and Memphis amps), and I'll upgrade the headunit later, so you can see how this may affect me.
Old 9/12/05, 07:55 PM
Cobra Member

I used an output converter from Audiocontrol (LC6) model that gives me total control of the entire system.It has adjustable gain controls for up to 6 channels and works great with the shaker system and an aftermarket headunit.Would work great for the stock unit too, but if you are upgrading the speakers etc,this will give you nice adjustability of the system to your liking.I have since adjusted the front 8's and they really pound now..Before, you really didn't notice them much, NOW there is plenty of AIR coming out of the grilles hitting my leg and the bass is clean.
Old 9/14/05, 04:17 AM
GT Member

Wow, that thing is pretty snazzy...not sure why one would want to go from a factory amp to a LOC though? Unless they just want to show it's possible.

Aaron, what Vifa's do you have? remember those cheap Vifa mids I used? Turns out with a little polyfill in the speaker pods they rock pretty hard!
Old 9/14/05, 11:41 AM
Cobra Member

I really just did it to see what the factory system was really capable of with the right "tweaking"..I actually promised myself that when i got the shaker 1000 unit I wasn't going to mess with it...Well, that went out the window
Old 9/14/05, 11:50 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by BatNastard@September 14, 2005, 6:20 AM
Aaron, what Vifa's do you have? remember those cheap Vifa mids I used? Turns out with a little polyfill in the speaker pods they rock pretty hard!
I don't remember right off - I'll look when I get home tonight. I do know they were OEM'd for Soundstream to be their Exact Series (nice stuff, before they were bought out).
Old 9/14/05, 03:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts
Heck, I'm happy with my S500!
Old 9/14/05, 03:46 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Infinity@September 14, 2005, 1:53 PM
I don't remember right off - I'll look when I get home tonight. I do know they were OEM'd for Soundstream to be their Exact Series (nice stuff, before they were bought out).

I have these 5.25" mids and they sound VERY good. They took 225 watts RMS (bridged Memphis Studio 3004) down to 65hz like it was good for them. For $25 they're tough to beat.

I also bought These 4.5" mids except mine are Soundstream blue powder coated (whoopee ). I'm probably going to try them in the 6x8 spot along with these tweeters that sound decent with the right crossover which brings me to these here that were made for those. They even have the Soundstream logo screened on them. At the time the full set would have cost about 350 retail, and I put about $60 into them. All in all, I'm happy
Old 9/14/05, 04:16 PM
GT Member

Nice! if you trim the flange the C11's should fit in the stock hole, otherwise they can probably sit on top...if you use that bracket, that is.
Old 9/14/05, 04:56 PM
Cobra Member

Exactly what I wasa hoping to do. That way I can use that little "enclosure" at the top of the doors.

OP- oooooppps. Sorry for the threadjack.

Quick Reply: Shaker 1000 vs Shaker 500