05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Seat Removal

Search this Thread

Old 4/27/06, 01:28 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anybody removed the driver or passenger seats from their 05/06 GT. I got a deal on some Sparco racing seats, but there may be a problem with the airbag sensors in the stock seats.

Need to know if anybody has figured out a way to disable the sensors, but still have the air bags work. (The air bags in the car, not in the seat)

Any help would be appreciated.....
Old 4/27/06, 02:37 PM
Bullitt Member

I wouldn't mess with those sensors. They're very sensitve, and unless you can mount them inside a seat with the same foam density and dimensions of the OEM seat I wouldn't touch em. Those sensors classify who/what is sitting in that seat by downward weight and weight distribution, & tell the airbag how many stages to fire, how quickly to fire, etc. If you REALLY want those seats, take your car to a professional and have them either install the sensors or bypass them...don't try yourself
Old 5/11/06, 10:24 AM
V6 Member

A little update...seats installed, a litle minor problem with the sensor in the passanger seat, but was quickly fixed...

Old 12/4/06, 02:05 PM
GT Member

This isn't the same question, but it's related. I spilled something (I know, I will never again have a drink in my car) down on the right side of my drivers' seat. What exactly does it take to remove the drivers seat, so I can get at the carpet underneath to clean it all? I see some bolts on the rear part, but if anyone could give me more specific directions, that'd be cool.

I guess I don't need to remove it entirely, I just need to lift up the seat so that I can get at the carpet. Any tips? Recommendations on the best way to clean the carpet? I used Maguire's leather cleaner on the seats immediately, so that's fine.
Old 12/16/06, 11:49 AM

Those seats look fabulous !! I'm curious... as I'm interested in what it takes to deal with the occupant sensors in the passenger seat... were the Sparco seats already equipped with sensors... and if not, how difficult was it to deal with the stock sensor ??
Old 12/18/06, 07:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Do you have to have some sort of bracket to install sparco seats or do they just bolt in place?? How hard was the install?
Old 4/8/08, 12:41 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jskibisky
Those seats look fabulous !! I'm curious... as I'm interested in what it takes to deal with the occupant sensors in the passenger seat... were the Sparco seats already equipped with sensors... and if not, how difficult was it to deal with the stock sensor ??
Thread resurrected for answers to these questions, hopefully.

Looking to install a set of racing seats in the future...stock ones aren't cutting it during HPDE days...
Old 4/9/08, 02:16 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I remember correctly there are four bolts per seat and mine had two sensor plugs, one for the motors and one for the airbags. If you plan on pulling the seats all the way out, get some help they are alot heavier than I thought they would be and I messed up my scuff plate. You can however get the seats and carpet really clean with the seats out.
Old 4/9/08, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by ETNOATS
If I remember correctly there are four bolts per seat and mine had two sensor plugs, one for the motors and one for the airbags. If you plan on pulling the seats all the way out, get some help they are alot heavier than I thought they would be and I messed up my scuff plate. You can however get the seats and carpet really clean with the seats out.
What about the airbag sensors? What was done to keep the airbags active?
Old 4/9/08, 08:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What happened to you Factory Leather Seats? Are you gonna sell them? I've bee wanting to get leather.
Old 4/10/08, 05:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I didn't replace mine, I just pulled them out to clean them and the carpet before a show. Disconnected the positive battery cable prior to starting just to be safe.
Old 4/10/08, 06:54 AM
Cobra Member

The new seats look real good!
Old 4/10/08, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by 06GT
YEAH!
Old 4/13/08, 08:07 PM

I would like to know the same.
Old 4/14/08, 06:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
The side airbag sensors are NOT in the seats themselves. From what I have read about side air bags, the sensors are either in the door or on the frame rail. If you think about it, having the sensor INSIDE the seat proper would not provide much protection... the impacting vehicle has already breached your door and is hitting the seat!

In this pic of my vert, the green circle shows what I believe to be the side impact sensor. The red circle shows the power plug for the airbag itself. Only your dealer can tell us for sure.
Attached Images  
Old 4/14/08, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by 2k5GTC
The side airbag sensors are NOT in the seats themselves. From what I have read about side air bags, the sensors are either in the door or on the frame rail. If you think about it, having the sensor INSIDE the seat proper would not provide much protection... the impacting vehicle has already breached your door and is hitting the seat!

In this pic of my vert, the green circle shows what I believe to be the side impact sensor. The red circle shows the power plug for the airbag itself. Only your dealer can tell us for sure.
OK, that's a step in the right direction, even though I don't have the SIDE airbags.

Specifically I'm concerned about how to keep the occupant weight sensors active. These will control how forcefully the dash and steering wheel airbags deploy (if they deploy at all).

Are those sensors in the seat rails, or in the seat bottom, or what?
Old 4/14/08, 07:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Just remembered I had this PDF file showing the guts of the front seat with air bags. Notice there is no side impact sensor shown. Just some FYI.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Seat_Exploded_View_Front.pdf (544.8 KB, 432 views)
Old 4/14/08, 09:46 AM
Bullitt Member

nice seats.
Old 4/14/08, 09:52 AM
Bullitt Member

did u use the stock seat rails or did sparco have ones that you used to put them in
Old 4/14/08, 10:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Looks like on the PDF that # 4 on the passenger side seat ( OE OCS ) is the sensor, and it looks as if if goes between the cusion fram and the cusion. Dosnt look like theres anyways to get this to work out....

Quick Reply: Seat Removal