05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Replacement Seat Cushion/Pad

Search this Thread

Old 12/26/15, 10:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts
Replacement Seat Cushion/Pad

Well, after almost 10 years, my driver's side seat foam is pretty much flat (actually, not 'pretty much', it really is totally flat).

I looked up the part number for my driver's side power seat (5R3Z-63632A23-AA), and it's discontinued.

I was looking up for a successor part, and it looks like this one might be my best bet:

7R3Z-63632A23-A SEAT CUSHION PAD, LEFT
COUPE, POWER SEAT

Most sites I look it up in say its for 2007 - 2014 model years. Anyone aware of differences between '05-06 and '07 - '14 that might prevent the newer cushions from working on my '06?
Old 12/26/15, 11:47 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
You'll be fine. The seat covers and foams are pretty much interchangeable from 05-14, as long as you're going 'newer on older' ('11 part on an '05 seat) and not the other way 'round ('05 part on '11 seat, that'd be a negative.)

The difference is going to come from the fact that there were two new options for the later '07s and 08s and up: Heated seats, and dangerous explody things that fly at nearly the speed of light to impair your vision on the left side... er, I mean, airbags.

In the case of the bottom, you just don't wind up with heated seats is all. In the case of the uppers, you'd have to pack in some material where the airbag hole is on the side bolster. (I'll be doing this when I refit my '12 seat covers to my '06 seat frames... got the foams with the set, dang well gonna use 'em.)

These are why you don't wanna use an '05 on an '11 seat, because then the holes/attachments aren't there for the parts that are on the newer assembly. But you can work the stuff the other way around, if you think creatively. (regarding the uppers, anyway. Lowers should be ok.)

Get it and go. Superseded part, it's fine.

Last edited by houtex; 12/26/15 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12/26/15, 04:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Cavero, what interior do you have? Cloth or pleather? Color? Just wondering how the seat covers were, if the bottom was flat. I know, when I was at 300#, I messed up my old F150 seat and flattened the foam on the edge. I actually cut the foam with the wires in the seat and it disintergrated. lol. Now I'm 180, and don't have that problem anymore. lol Not saying that is your problem, as a lot of driving will probably do that too. I was just giving my own personal results.

If you have cloth, I'd give you a set of covers free, if you need them. I also have a spare set of dove gray leathers but those wouldn't be free. lol If you need the regulars, just PM me and we can figure how to get them to you. The only thing I saw about your Mustang was that it was Tungsten. I've never seen any other pics of it, so I don't know what you have.
Old 12/26/15, 06:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by houtex
You'll be fine. The seat covers and foams are pretty much interchangeable from 05-14, as long as you're going 'newer on older' ('11 part on an '05 seat) and not the other way 'round ('05 part on '11 seat, that'd be a negative.)

The difference is going to come from the fact that there were two new options for the later '07s and 08s and up: Heated seats, and dangerous explody things that fly at nearly the speed of light to impair your vision on the left side... er, I mean, airbags.
Yeah, luckily only two explody things in my car...too bad they're pointed at my face.

Originally Posted by houtex
In the case of the bottom, you just don't wind up with heated seats is all. In the case of the uppers, you'd have to pack in some material where the airbag hole is on the side bolster. (I'll be doing this when I refit my '12 seat covers to my '06 seat frames... got the foams with the set, dang well gonna use 'em.)

These are why you don't wanna use an '05 on an '11 seat, because then the holes/attachments aren't there for the parts that are on the newer assembly. But you can work the stuff the other way around, if you think creatively. (regarding the uppers, anyway. Lowers should be ok.)

Get it and go. Superseded part, it's fine.
Ok, I was scratchin my head a little bit on the superseded part because usually the parts sites will tell you what part it's been superseded by. But there was nothing this time. I figured there must've been differences like the airbag & heated seats you mentioned, and that they went to a 40% soy product in the foam.

I'm only doing the driver's side lower for now. The upper's still in good shape. So no mounting points needed on the lower for the seat heater?
Old 12/26/15, 07:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by akdoggie
Cavero, what interior do you have? Cloth or pleather? Color? Just wondering how the seat covers were, if the bottom was flat. I know, when I was at 300#, I messed up my old F150 seat and flattened the foam on the edge. I actually cut the foam with the wires in the seat and it disintergrated. lol. Now I'm 180, and don't have that problem anymore. lol Not saying that is your problem, as a lot of driving will probably do that too. I was just giving my own personal results.

If you have cloth, I'd give you a set of covers free, if you need them. I also have a spare set of dove gray leathers but those wouldn't be free. lol If you need the regulars, just PM me and we can figure how to get them to you. The only thing I saw about your Mustang was that it was Tungsten. I've never seen any other pics of it, so I don't know what you have.
I've got the charcoal [p]leather interior. I've posted pics of the interior across different threads (stereo installs, "show your interiors" type of threads), but it's been a long time since I haven't done anything new w/ it in a while. I think the latest I did was vinyl wrap the center console:

I appreciate the offer, but the leathers are in good shape so I think it's probably OK. Only way to find out is to peel 'em up and take a look.
Old 12/26/15, 09:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

no problem I just thought I would offer in case you did need them. I have the same interior and colors, that is why I got the Dove Gray leathers, in case I wanted to have the offset look. If I did that, I'd have to go with gray stripes on the black. Happy New Years.
Old 12/27/15, 06:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Doggie, PM re: covers.
Old 12/28/15, 10:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I PM'd you back and haven't heard back from you yet with your zip code. akdoggie
Old 12/28/15, 10:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Sorry. Distracted. Just replied!