05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Here is what I did to my door panels

Search this Thread

Old 7/10/15, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before and after shots what do you think?
I also did the back seat interior panels
Attached Thumbnails Here is what I did to my door panels-photo971.jpg   Here is what I did to my door panels-photo608.jpg   Here is what I did to my door panels-photo700.jpg   Here is what I did to my door panels-photo382.jpg  
Old 7/10/15, 08:42 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
What size piping? I forget the real name for it but where did you get it?

Looks great. The Challenger guys have been doing this for a long time. It really makes a difference.

Looks Great..
Old 7/10/15, 08:49 AM

It's called Vinyl Welting, you can purchase it online or check with your local upholstery shop I purchased this locally for .37 cents a foot I purchased 20 feet for under $8,00
Attached Thumbnails Here is what I did to my door panels-photo956.jpg  
Old 7/10/15, 09:11 AM
V6 Member

Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Buffet Slayer
That looks mighty custom! How did you get the welt to stick in the rear 1/4 panels?
Old 7/10/15, 12:03 PM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
I think it gives the trim panels a nice accent....makes them pop. Not 100% sure about trimming out the speakers though.
Old 7/10/15, 12:57 PM

I got the the idea,, while talking with my buddy that was trying to help me remove the rear seat corner panels,, he's a member of the Mustang Source,, look him up He's O.G. His name is ARBO,,, I dry fit a piece of Welting and cut it 3/4" longer then I should,, ( I cut it to size once and didn't like the gap,,,) after that I positioned I it where the splice fit together at the flat edge on the bottom and cut it at the exact angle to fit the two ends with a good carpenters knife ( I Took it "in" and "out" several times to get the angle just right ) I took a screw a little larger then the hole in the Welting,, then connected the two pieces together for a perfect fit,,, (( I attached some pictures of me trying to explain what I'm yammering on about with a scrap piece of Welting,,,)) I applied a thin bead of silicone around the channel of the rear interior panel,, and then arranged the Vinyl Welting around the channel fitting into place making sure my connectors were where I wanted them. Then I used Pieces of 1000 MPH Tape, and held the Welting where it was lifting up, "just to hold it while it drying after about for hours I was able to take my Exacto knife and cleaned up any visible silicone that I could see,,
( I'm Blind,, just ask my wife ) I did clean the area up with rubbing alcohol after the tape and silicone was removed,, to assure my self if any residue was left behind it quickly cleaned it up,,

I used silicone on Shaker 1000 Subs as well,,
I just removed the speaker ring,, then I cut the Welting into small pieces and cut each piece to the right angle ( fits like a puzzle piece ) then just placed a bead of silicone behind it to hold it in place. I then left it outside alone for about 5 hrs in 108deg sunshine,, then I took my Exacto knife and removed any visible silicone from the front face and then cleaned it with rubbing alcohol for blind guys own satisfaction,, then I just popped the speaker cover back on the corresponding sides,, and Wah, la, the ring that circles the speaker I just made a tight loop and connected it using the the screw method I tried to explain earlier,, I wasn't sure if I wanted that much red inside the car but I'm digging it and I can silicone it and none would be the wiser,,
Attached Thumbnails Here is what I did to my door panels-photo794.jpg   Here is what I did to my door panels-photo648.jpg   Here is what I did to my door panels-photo538.jpg  
Old 7/10/15, 11:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
I did this to mine back in 2010. I later added the 2010 speaker covers and the 2012 mirrors. Most of the 2010 and up Mustang interior accessory parts will fit our 05-09's. I have the 2012 light vanity mirrors also. It's fun making these mods isn't it? Good luck with your Mustang and mods.
Attached Thumbnails Here is what I did to my door panels-sam_0191.jpg  
Old 7/11/15, 12:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by akdoggie
I did this to mine back in 2010. I later added the 2010 speaker covers and the 2012 mirrors. Most of the 2010 and up Mustang interior accessory parts will fit our 05-09's. I have the 2012 light vanity mirrors also. It's fun making these mods isn't it? Good luck with your Mustang and mods.
Whoa... probably a separate thread, but tell me about the lighted vanity mirrors???
Old 7/11/15, 01:15 PM

Nice looking, " looks illuminated",, I like how you went with the chrome speaker covers,, I'm going to do a remote start,, not to tech'ey any ideas? Lighted vanity mirrors ??

Last edited by Buffet Slayer; 7/11/15 at 01:26 PM.
Old 7/12/15, 04:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by mrkabc
Whoa... probably a separate thread, but tell me about the lighted vanity mirrors???
2012 and up have lighted vanity and movable (extendable) mirrors. They bolt right up the same as ours do, but you have to run wires from the center lights to power them. A very easy, simple mod, that the women love. I personally like how you can unclip them and move them to cover the center of the windshield from the sun. The material is a bit nicer than the soft crap ours came with, so that is also an improvement. The Homelink mirror with autodim and compass is a nice add on also. I included a pic of that also.

GM used to do this with their bigger cars, but now that Ford is doing it, it is a good thing. lol.

Old 7/12/15, 07:31 AM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Very clean and neat! Love it!
Old 7/12/15, 08:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
Door panels look sharp. The subwoofers aren't my personal taste though. I'd switch 'em out for 2010's like akdoggie
Old 7/14/15, 12:11 PM
Tms Mustang Member ------ The Customizer!

Received 126 Likes on 90 Posts
I've also done the same thing last year but I used black felt trim instead of plastic/vinyl.
Aslo added the light Iin the door myself like the 2010+

I like what you did though. The speaker trim is interesting.
Old 7/14/15, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Cavero
Door panels look sharp. The subwoofers aren't my personal taste though. I'd switch 'em out for 2010's like akdoggie
I'm going to search for those speaker covers I like the chrome better myself, thanks for your input Cavero
Old 7/14/15, 04:35 PM

Thanks akdoggie, you've given me something to think about and I will probably add it to my list
to-do's,, especially for my wife she'd love it.
Old 7/14/15, 04:37 PM

VGMStudios the light in the door panel is interesting as well can that be done in red?
Old 7/14/15, 04:41 PM

TripleBlack in with you I'm gonna look for some 2010 speaker covers and change em out,, something about that chrome
Old 7/14/15, 05:25 PM
Tms Mustang Member ------ The Customizer!

Received 126 Likes on 90 Posts
VGMStudios the light in the door panel is interesting as well can that be done in red?
Thanks. If you didn't notice I also changed the door covering so it looks like the 2010 version.
The lights can be any color. They are 10mm leds I believe.
Old 7/15/15, 01:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I like the way VGM put in the added LED's. Makes it stand out. John, is that trim the stuff that came from Redline? I like the way it looks, I'm a bit torn on doing that to mine. I've thought about going with the same idea, but with the Mustang logo insert. It won't have the pleating, but I still think that it looks good. Does the upper wrinkles come out of the insert as time goes on? I don't think I'd like it to stay that way forever, but it does change the panel for the better, that's for sure. Where did you run your LED power from for the doors? Did you go thru the harness and up the pillar, or did you find a power source inside the door? Just wondering. lol

VGM, on that part for the radio, email me a pic of the part (c/board). I have three radios in pieces in a box and don't remember which you need. It will go out with the following days mail, now that I'm home again and available to do it. I have 8 pieces laying in the box, so I don't know which one to send you. lol. Send me a picture okay, so I get the right one out to you. Sorry for the delay, but the forest fires up here kept everyone busy and I spent a lot of time helping get the mess taken care of. Luckily both big ones locally are out now, sot things will get back to normal soon.

Last edited by akdoggie; 7/15/15 at 01:35 AM.
Old 7/15/15, 05:56 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Got any part numbers on the 2012 visors, do they come in a set?

Quick Reply: Here is what I did to my door panels