05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

RearSeatRemoval/Subs?

Search this Thread

Old 1/11/12, 02:27 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RearSeatRemoval/Subs?

Hey guys I was wondering how hard it would be to make my own rear seat delete kit(wood,carpet) and if there are any guides to doing so. And then MAYBE putting some subs back there. Any ideas? I have free access to an average wood working workshop...lots of saws,etc.
Old 1/11/12, 02:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not exactly what you asked for. I didn't want to lose my rear seat but I wanted the option of putting it down but closing off the trunk. Plus I have the battery in the back and for safety sake it is better to have the opening closed. Plus by permanently closing the opening the chassis is made stronger.

Old 1/11/12, 03:00 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Did it to my prelude. Haven't to my Cobra though..
Attached Images    
Old 1/11/12, 03:39 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by texastboneking
Did it to my prelude. Haven't to my Cobra though..
Nice! How much for the setup? I don't need the best, it's mostly for show...and not having to drive everyone around..how did you wire it? I have wiring to my trunk, but I don't think it can go to the back seat..maybe from the trunk, though the place where the seats were? And the big question, I won't need a new head unit will I?
Old 1/11/12, 03:40 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by ThatMattGuy

Nice! How much for the setup? I don't need the best, it's mostly for show...and not having to drive everyone around..how did you wire it? I have wiring to my trunk, but I don't think it can go to the back seat..maybe from the trunk, though the place where the seats were? And the big question, I won't need a new head unit will I?
For subs and an amp yes you generally meed a new head unit. The custom wall cost me 30$ and I got the subs for 25$ a piece. Amp was 80$
Old 1/11/12, 04:01 PM
GT Member

Okay, and I might be able to get a single din pioneer head unit for free...not the best but it is FREE with an aux port/bluetooth/USB. I don't know much about audio, so of I get the head unit, subs, and delete my rear seat, aside from wiring (I already have) what else will I need?

Sorry for the "noob" questions, but I don't want to start a project on my DD that I can't afford to finish...
Old 1/11/12, 04:05 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

You will need an amp. Mine is a 1000 Watt amp. You will need a pretty heavy guage wire running to it. I used an 8 guaged wire. Works fine for me.

My setup is a little heavy. I have another battery in the trunk with a diverter box off the alternator.
Old 1/11/12, 04:14 PM
GT Member

You will need an amp. Mine is a 1000 Watt amp. You will need a pretty heavy guage wire running to it. I used an 8 guaged wire. Works fine for me.

My setup is a little heavy. I have another battery in the trunk with a diverter box off the alternator.
Alright, and for the head unit swap, I've been looking and some people say they need a new head unit harness...I could take that out of the car I'm getting the head unit from? Or can I use my stock head unit harness?
Old 1/11/12, 04:24 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Alright, and for the head unit swap, I've been looking and some people say they need a new head unit harness...I could take that out of the car I'm getting the head unit from? Or can I use my stock head unit harness?
Its an adapter harness and they cost about 15 bucks at Walmart
Old 1/11/12, 04:44 PM
GT Member

Its an adapter harness and they cost about 15 bucks at Walmart
THANK YOU. I'll definitely be doing this. On some sites people were saying the harness cost over $100...I'll put pictures when I get it done..probably be a few months..depends on how fast I can fabricate my own rear seat delete kit. I can't justify spending over $100 on plywood and carpet.

If anyone has a rear seat delete kit could you guys please post the measurements to it, it would make this A LOT easier...
Old 1/11/12, 04:47 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Inadequate my delete kit in 4 hours. Paint and install included.
Old 1/11/12, 05:41 PM
GT Member

Do I leave a few inches between my kit, it make it actually touch the interior? I'm talking about horizontally..
Old 1/11/12, 05:46 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just curious on why you want to do this if you're not set on subs. Most people do rear seat delete for weight savings, but with the weight of MDF vs the seats, it just doesn't make sense to me.
Old 1/11/12, 05:58 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
Just curious on why you want to do this if you're not set on subs. Most people do rear seat delete for weight savings, but with the weight of MDF vs the seats, it just doesn't make sense to me.
Well I'm eventually getting new front leather seats, probably racing ones, and if I don't get subs then I'm getting a harness for the seat belts(would've done it eventually). I'm really OCD about everything on the car and two front leather racing seats aren't going to match the tan cloth seats in the back, and it would be alot cheaper to delete them, than find color matching rear leather seats to match the front ones...
Old 1/11/12, 06:17 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well I'm eventually getting new front leather seats, probably racing ones, and if I don't get subs then I'm getting a harness for the seat belts(would've done it eventually). I'm really OCD about everything on the car and two front leather racing seats aren't going to match the tan cloth seats in the back, and it would be alot cheaper to delete them, than find color matching rear leather seats to match the front ones...
You and me both my man. I had to do the same thing, but in reverse, in my Jeep. I wanted a different back seat w/ headrests (safer for my boys), but it wasn't available to match the front seats. So, you guessed it... had to buy seat covers for the front seats.
Old 1/11/12, 06:38 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.

You and me both my man. I had to do the same thing, but in reverse, in my Jeep. I wanted a different back seat w/ headrests (safer for my boys), but it wasn't available to match the front seats. So, you guessed it... had to buy seat covers for the front seats.
Glad to know I'm not the only one! I have a LONG list of things to do, that I've been making for about a year. Suspension,exhaust,paint, but this is the first thing I want to get over with since I can do it myself..
Old 1/12/12, 11:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
THANK YOU. I'll definitely be doing this. On some sites people were saying the harness cost over $100...I'll put pictures when I get it done..probably be a few months..depends on how fast I can fabricate my own rear seat delete kit. I can't justify spending over $100 on plywood and carpet.

If anyone has a rear seat delete kit could you guys please post the measurements to it, it would make this A LOT easier...
Yea dont waste your money on the 100 dollar harness. I have the $15 one, and as far as I can tell it didnt change a thing. They claim you need it with the shaker system, but It works fine for me.

Last edited by 05PRMTX; 1/12/12 at 11:14 AM.
Old 1/12/12, 02:38 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 05PRMTX

Yea dont waste your money on the 100 dollar harness. I have the $15 one, and as far as I can tell it didnt change a thing. They claim you need it with the shaker system, but It works fine for me.
Originally Posted by 05PRMTX

Is it a generic harness? If so could you post the name? I started looking for one and I realized I don't know anything..lol
Old 1/13/12, 04:08 PM
GT Member

UPDATE - got a 4x8 plywood that's 1/4 thick, 4 plastic push pins, and a couple hinges. I haven't decided which carpet to use yet. Everything's sub $50. I decided I wanted mine to hinge so it's more adjustable and still stays together good.

Taking my seats out tomorrow, gonna look up how to remove them tonight. Once out, for more precise measurements I'm using card board to get a "mold" of it.

Also, don't feel like the editing earlier but as I was typing this I decided it might be cool to have fiberglass instead of carpet. Maybe black w/some designs? With subs?
Old 1/13/12, 04:10 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

too thin for subs.