05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Pioneer AVIC-Z1?

Search this Thread

Old 4/15/06, 05:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Hi all

In two weeks I will be installing a Pioneer AVIC-Z1 and just wondered if anyone here has already installed one, did it fit ok, how did you get on with the harness, happy with it ? Anymore details would be much appricated.

Thanks all

Stuart
Old 4/15/06, 05:22 AM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I didn't realize they were out yet.
Old 4/15/06, 08:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I havent gotten it yet, but am planning on gettting it. If you will be installing it yourself, can you do a full writeup with pics?
Old 4/15/06, 09:53 AM

In stock now at Crutchfield.
Old 4/15/06, 09:57 PM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm not planning on getting one.
Old 4/15/06, 11:49 PM

I was planning on getting one, but I am having a hard time locating the Eurpoean maps for it. I looked at the European model that comes equiped with the Euro maps and comes with 26 available languages. The only problem is the Euro version does not play Region 1 DVDs. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsdown.gif[/img] With only another year or two left before I move back to the States, I believe this purchase will be placed on hold. Just another good reason to purchase the new Tom Tom Go 910. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 4/16/06, 06:25 PM
GT Member

I did an AVIC-Z1 install last week in my 05. Since I had the D1 in there for a while, it wasn't much of a chore to be honest. I used my old adapter from the D1 to install the Z1. I also went with the new IPOD adapter, and that install was a snap too. If you do a search on the AVIC-D1 install, you will find it helpful so far as removing the old unit and installing the new. The Z1 and D1-2 are very similar so far as installation goes. Oh yeah.....as in my previous installations, I did NOT hook up the speed sensor and reverse connections and the unit works flawlessly. There is one little pain. The antenna connection on this unit is on the other side of it. It's a real pain to get the FM antenna into it's connector on the back of the unit. Other than that, I can't think of one difference installation wise from the D1-2.

BTW.....this little thing is pricy, but if your a gizmo freak like I am, and nothing's too good for your Stang.....this unit kicks butt. Also....the Bluetooth deal doesn't come with the unit. Kind of s***s if ya ask me. Also it's on back order for 2 to 3 weeks from what I hear.

Anything else.......let me know!!!

Kevin
Old 4/16/06, 09:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

What are your initial impressions of the unit? Other than the bluetooth not being included, any flaws or downsides that you have come accross?

Also, did you do the install yourself? How hard was it? do you have any car audio experience?
Old 4/16/06, 09:37 PM
GT Member

I haven't had a lot of time with it, but so far it's been pretty impressive. I really like the way it works with the IPOD. It takes the small screen of the IPOD and puts it right on the main display. From there you can navigate with the IPOD hidden. Also charges the IPOD. Can't tell any difference from the sound quality between it and the D1. Still sounds good to me. I really don't have any downsides yet to answer your question. If I do, I'll be sure to post it. One downside which is a no brainer is the price.

Kevin
Old 4/16/06, 09:52 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Why is it sooo expensive?
Old 4/16/06, 10:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Do you have a reverse camera hooked up? does it still work without the reverse wire hooked up?
Old 4/17/06, 02:39 AM

Kevin, Dude we need some pictures of it in your stang, sounds like you did a great job, well done.

Does anyone know where I can buy a premade Pioneer harness ready to go into my stang so I don't need to do any crimping?

Thank you

Stuart
Old 4/17/06, 05:24 PM
GT Member

Jason......I just realized I didn't answer your question. I have always installed my car audio and such since I was 20 or so. I don't do it that often, but since I was introduced to Crutchfield years ago, and they make it so freakin' easy, I chose to do it myself. I guess I'm spoiled by their great service.

The install wasn't that hard. About 3 hours I guess. Remember now I had the AVIC-N1 in the car so I didn't have to route the nav antenna ans such.

I do not have a reverse camera hooked up as of now. I may in the future. I'd rather get the Bluetooth adapter for my cell phone first.

I apologize for the lack of pictures at the moment, but I recently lost my digital camera. As I stated before there are numerous posts about installing the AVIC-D1 in here. Do a search, and you'll find some of my old posts with some pics. There are others as well.

Stuart....I don't know if your gonna find what your looking for. One way or another your gonna have to crimp or solder to make the connections.

Kevin
Old 4/17/06, 05:49 PM
V6 Member

I have the unit, It fits fine. I do not like the way it works because you have to pull over to change your destination if the situation arises.
Also the XM Traffic is usless so don't bother with that.
Old 4/18/06, 09:42 AM
Cobra R Member

how hard was the install? is there a second brain box or anything that needs to be hooked up?
Old 4/18/06, 09:45 AM
GT Member

The install was fairly easy. There is only one unit which is the double din unit for the dash. There is no second box.
Old 4/18/06, 10:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

How much is tthe BT adapter...I didnt know it was extra. The Z1 is bad tho....I just cant decide if I want to go audio/visual with my mods or slap a turbo on a call it a day.
Old 4/18/06, 02:39 PM
GT Member

I've seen it as low as $99.00 and as high as $180.00. Naturally it's back ordered all over the place. I can't find one if my life depended on it. Figures......
Old 4/18/06, 09:14 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm thinking about going for this unit. Has anyone used it while wearing polarized sunglasses? How well does it work in the sun?

Jon
Old 4/22/06, 08:49 PM
GT Member

I've been planning to get this unit as well. How easy is it to transfer mp3s to the hardrive or ripping them from cd? How are you liking the navigation part, is the voice recognition as good as pioneer's hype?

Quick Reply: Pioneer AVIC-Z1?