05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Pioneer Avic D3

Search this Thread

Old 12/30/07, 05:23 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks Jeff, but no need to take apart your dash again, ... I'll see if I can find it. and thank you very much for the help!

What about the Reverse Signal, ... is there any place up front you can tap in for that one?
Old 12/30/07, 05:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by legion455
thanks Jeff, but no need to take apart your dash again, ... I'll see if I can find it. and thank you very much for the help!

What about the Reverse Signal, ... is there any place up front you can tap in for that one?
You can probably get the reverse wire at the smart junction box but I don't know what color it would be.... I got mine from the rear tail light. As far as the dimmer wire, I used the headlight switch location.
Old 12/30/07, 09:28 PM
V6 Member

thanks Tom, ... I'll try those areas, ... but first I've got to get a SPDT switch for the camera, which will allow either the car going in reverse OR the switch being put in the up position to turn on the caamera.'

Mouser should have those.
Old 12/31/07, 11:53 AM

I still dont think my front subs are working....I plugged in the RCAs to every RCA jack there was and nothing... then I used the Y connector like Taco bill used...still nothing. Not sure what I did wrong or what I didnt connect.

BUT I have the Schoche stealthbox and subwoofer in the trunk that cures the bass problem....but I still would like the front subs to work.
Old 1/2/08, 05:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

I just ordered one from Cartronixplus and It seems like it should be delivered by tomorrow . Greatest deal....579+12 (install kit) + shipping =623 Gonna buy the xm unit from bestbuy as well as the ipod interface cable (no deals on the web) then theres also a rear view camera for 59 bux that mounts on the license plate on amazon that I may order as well. I got a schosche sub box for xmas and Need to buy a sub/amp to hook it up. I will run the wiring for that when I install this.

As far as install goes, I need a 5v Voltage regulator? where does this go? Also any tips on where to mount the xm box and the antennas for that and nav?

Thanx
Old 1/2/08, 07:37 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by nonstopred
I just ordered one from Cartronixplus and It seems like it should be delivered by tomorrow . Greatest deal....579+12 (install kit) + shipping =623 Gonna buy the xm unit from bestbuy as well as the ipod interface cable (no deals on the web) then theres also a rear view camera for 59 bux that mounts on the license plate on amazon that I may order as well. I got a schosche sub box for xmas and Need to buy a sub/amp to hook it up. I will run the wiring for that when I install this.

As far as install goes, I need a 5v Voltage regulator? where does this go? Also any tips on where to mount the xm box and the antennas for that and nav?

Thanx
You'll need the voltage regulator since you have the shaker 500. Otherwise you'll get a pop sound when the amps turn on. Search around the forums here, there are a few guys that have documented how to do this (TacoBill, etc).

I put my navigation antenna on the rear deck (behind the seats). The rear seats come out easily, so you can run the wire under the seat and directly into the center console.

Good luck with the install. I've had my D3 installed for about a week now, and its great!
Old 1/2/08, 09:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Mark, install is a piece of cake really. Just take your time and read the instructions (and any tips from the forums). If you want to hide the GPS antenna, I mounted mine under the dash. There is a flat vertical spot between the center vents behind the dash. Plenty of room to stick the magnetic strip and mount the antenna. This system is AWESOME!! Makes driving the car so different now. And the stock speakers sound amazingly more clear and louder!! You'll love this thing. Just make sure you do the bypass on the D3 harness, so you can watch the movies and change the nav options while driving. Its silly simple.
Old 1/3/08, 05:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sounds good. I just got mine today...have to buy the xm and the ipod adaptors. Really annoying though, it looks like they didnt have the dash kit in stock, and didnt realize that when I specified Shaker 500 to give me the upgraded wiring harness, so instead I only have the big one without the small 8 pin that has the rca cables coming out of it. Even if I can buy the dash kit at circuit city, they dont have the correct wiring harness. I'm going to have to install it all next week or whenever I can get it sent from them or ordered from somewhere else. Is this extra piece necessary? will the subs not work without it? will the entire stereo not work without it? Also the shaker is already amped, so the 50 watts per channel that the avic puts out...will this affect the fact that you cant have something amped going into the amp?

Thanx
Old 1/3/08, 10:34 PM
Team Mustang Source

Sounds good. I just got mine today...have to buy the xm and the ipod adaptors. Really annoying though, it looks like they didnt have the dash kit in stock, and didnt realize that when I specified Shaker 500 to give me the upgraded wiring harness, so instead I only have the big one without the small 8 pin that has the rca cables coming out of it. Even if I can buy the dash kit at circuit city, they dont have the correct wiring harness. I'm going to have to install it all next week or whenever I can get it sent from them or ordered from somewhere else. Is this extra piece necessary? will the subs not work without it? will the entire stereo not work without it? Also the shaker is already amped, so the 50 watts per channel that the avic puts out...will this affect the fact that you cant have something amped going into the amp?

Thanx
Hey Mark. Yes, you will need the other harness. Without it, you can't power up the front subs in the doors. I plugged the unit in the 1st time with only the large harness attached, to see if I had the wires correct and it powered up but the sound was "hollow" as in no bass up front. Just call Crutchfield and buy it from them. Depending where you live to their location, you may get it in one-two days. They are excellent to deal with.

Oh, and don't forget to wire up the voltage regulator between the unit and wiring harness. If you don't the popping will drive you nuts every time you start the car.
Old 1/4/08, 06:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

+1 to the above......
Old 1/5/08, 08:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

I pulled out the wiring harness for the avic and noticed there were 3 rca outputs...1 for sub, 1 for front, and 1 for rear. The rca cables out of the wiring harness from crutchfield, will that be plugged into the Subwoofer out? And I'm installing a subwoofer also, so where would that plug in. Would I have to split the red and the white of the subwoofer out into 2 different outs for the door subs, and my new sub?

I bought the xm and Ipod adapters, and I want to work on this this weekend, maybe not have the subs working but just the otherones until I get the harness and do so later.

A big problem I realized and I need help with....my wiring harness didnt come with a map of the wires and where they go to. do the colors match eachother? Is there any way someone can send me a scan of that diagram.

Thanx
Old 1/5/08, 03:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Also, I'm still unsure of where to plug the rca cables into....should I do as tacobill did and use the y-adapter? or should I just plug the 2 rcas directly into the subwoofer out from the Avic?

Also, once I put my new sub in, how will I put that on if I'm using up my sub outs for the stock subs. Will I have to get 2 y adaptors so theres 2 Red and White outs? Will this decrease amount of sound going to each amp and therefore cause for a bad sound? I know at least one person has an aftermarket sub, how did you set it up with the avic?

Today I went to circuit city (got the dash kit), 2 bestbuys, a PcRichards, and finally got the correct harness from 6ave electronics.

I have just finished building the harness and am going to start ripping the car apart tomorow, when I have time and light. I'm still trying to figure out where to put the xm unit, i was thinking underneath the passenger seat still, but once I have the dash apart I'm going to see if theres any room behind there.

For now I do not have the orange/white wire attached to anything. Will the backlighting be constant since it is not attached to anything specific? Why isnt there an orange wire coming out of the back of the metra harness for illumination? How does the stock headunit know to do so?

For now i'm going to see how it looks tomorrow without that attached to anything, hopefully it'll be fine. I may run that as well as the vss next time I open the dash up.

Thanx again
Old 1/5/08, 04:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

Also, I'm still unsure of where to plug the rca cables into....should I do as tacobill did and use the y-adapter? or should I just plug the 2 rcas directly into the subwoofer out from the Avic?

Also, once I put my new sub in, how will I put that on if I'm using up my sub outs for the stock subs. Will I have to get 2 y adaptors so theres 2 Red and White outs? Will this decrease amount of sound going to each amp and therefore cause for a bad sound? I know at least one person has an aftermarket sub, how did you set it up with the avic?

Today I went to circuit city (got the dash kit), 2 bestbuys, a PcRichards, and finally got the correct harness from 6ave electronics.

I have just finished building the harness and am going to start ripping the car apart tomorow, when I have time and light. I'm still trying to figure out where to put the xm unit, i was thinking underneath the passenger seat still, but once I have the dash apart I'm going to see if theres any room behind there.

For now I do not have the orange/white wire attached to anything. Will the backlighting be constant since it is not attached to anything specific? Why isnt there an orange wire coming out of the back of the metra harness for illumination? How does the stock headunit know to do so?

For now i'm going to see how it looks tomorrow without that attached to anything, hopefully it'll be fine. I may run that as well as the vss next time I open the dash up.

Thanx again
Mark, sending you a PM.
Old 1/6/08, 10:55 AM

Hey Jeff...Im still unsure as to how to get my front subs working... can you treat me like a 5 year old and walk me through it please...
Old 1/6/08, 08:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Grabber07'
Hey Jeff...Im still unsure as to how to get my front subs working... can you treat me like a 5 year old and walk me through it please...
Hey Jarrod, sorry I didn't check the thread till now. Aunt had her 80th B-Day and I was there most of the day (can't believe she's 80. If anyone saw her, she looks, acts and feels like 50-60!). I don't have any problem with taking the front panel off my car. All I would have to do, is just take a look from the side which plugs you use for the front. Just won't be able to do this for a few days at a minimum (don't have my car with me every day).
Old 1/8/08, 03:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

mine work fine just simply plugging them into the red and white subwoofer out of the avic. Is it possible you didnt solder both blue and white wires to the 5v regulator? This means it wont even turn the subs on, let alone have anything go through them. Hope this helps.

I got mine in the other day everythings great, entire car was apart. Saw that the speakers are rated at 25w .....this is bad because the headunit puts out 50 rms per channel....so I went out and purchased new 4-way pioneers while I had the rear deck out, going to add those to the front some other time. Everything else sounds great, the subs on the doors are amazing, I have a sub in my house that I was gonna put in, but honestly dont want to have too much bass. I love the ipod thing....someone on Avic411 had an idea to get through artists better....you change the genre of every artist to the first letter of the name...like every artist that starts with an A, make the genre A...do for all etc...then you pick the letter and it cues you for artist and you can pick your song easier, as oppose to (for me) scrolling through 81 pages of artists.

Have a mongo write up with some pics/compilation of peoples posts...have to finish it up....was very bored one night and just started writing. It is very in depth.
Old 1/10/08, 12:21 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

So good things from cartronixsplus? They have killer deals on speakers.
Old 1/10/08, 08:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Dang, this is a great thread. I think i spent the last half hour at work not working and reading all these posts. Has me considering getting an AVIC D3 and skipping the Brandmotion plugin and delve into my Supercharger account to get one. You guys are all evil, just thought you should know that
Old 1/10/08, 10:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Reminisce
Dang, this is a great thread. I think i spent the last half hour at work not working and reading all these posts. Has me considering getting an AVIC D3 and skipping the Brandmotion plugin and delve into my Supercharger account to get one. You guys are all evil, just thought you should know that
Evil in a good way..... kinda like a mistress.
Old 1/13/08, 01:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

I still don't understand how to add a trunk subwoofer to the setup? If you are using the subwoofer out already for the door subs, how do you use both without it getting bad sound quality by splitting the signal?

Quick Reply: Pioneer Avic D3