05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Pioneer AVIC - D1

Search this Thread

Old 8/1/05, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got my AVICD1 from parkaveelectronics.com for $1127 shipped. Bought the dash kit and harness adapter from Crutchfield, and a Sirius tuner from x10.com. Had my local CC install everything. They did an excellent job (the store on South Blvd in Charlotte, NC), it works great and the installation looks factory. My GPS antenna is on the center of the dash just behind the defroster vents. The Sirius antenna is on the rear package shelf just under the glass. I made a small cable with a chassis mount mini jack for my Ipod, and had them install it next to the left side of the glove compartment. It attaches to the AV input of the AVICD1 and works well. CC did not connect to my VSS either, they couldn't locate the wire, but the Nav still works fine. If anyone ever identifies this wire, please post it, I for one am interested in knowing.

Tom

2005 GT 5 speed "Back in Black"

Originally posted by Axslynger@May 12, 2005, 12:18 AM
Glad to help. I DO have a door sub harness, but I had a question on it and I had to call them about it. They gave me an answer today, but I haven't tried it yet. They say the door subs will work with this harness. I'm really not an electronics expert, but I have my doubts. I'll be honest with you. I was playing with the controls today, and even with the stock speakers....it did well. I can imagine with the door subs working.

So far as the speed sensor and reverse light goes. I didn't hook them up. I had the AVIC-N1 too, and didn't hook those wires up either. The only thing you won't be able to use is the Vehicle Dynamics display. I really could care less about it, so I didn't bother. If your into that, your gonna need to find the SS wire. They do have it in the instructions that came with the wiring harness although its vague about where it actually is, and what color the wire is. Try it without it. I did, and the unit still functions fine for me.

I got mine from Crutchfield. Part numbers for you. Dash Kit 120995807. Harness adapter 120705521. You can search for it online at crutchfield.com

This is my 5th or 6th unit from them, and they have ALWAYS been a huge help with stuff like this.

Anything else you want to ask.......give me a shout.

Good luck!!!

Kevin
Old 8/1/05, 09:14 AM

Originally posted by tlamano@August 1, 2005, 6:21 AM
CC did not connect to my VSS either, they couldn't locate the wire, but the Nav still works fine. If anyone ever identifies this wire, please post it, I for one am interested in knowing.

Tom

2005 GT 5 speed "Back in Black"
In researching the AVIC-D1, I remember seeing a post where someone contacted a Ford engineer about where to locate the VSS wire on the '05 Mustang and was told the '05 does not have a VSS. I'll try and find that post again and put up a link to it. I installed the AVIC-D1 in my Toyota Tacoma; didn't hook up the VSS or reverse wire in that installation and everything works fine.
Old 8/1/05, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by groupset@August 1, 2005, 8:17 AM
In researching the AVIC-D1, I remember seeing a post where someone contacted a Ford engineer about where to locate the VSS wire on the '05 Mustang and was told the '05 does not have a VSS. I'll try and find that post again and put up a link to it. I installed the AVIC-D1 in my Toyota Tacoma; didn't hook up the VSS or reverse wire in that installation and everything works fine.
The 05 does indeed have a VSS. Your navigation system may appear to work without it connected, but without the VSS connected it won't work correctly. Check the forum below for my entry confirming where the VSS can be accessed. I have the Eclipse AVN 5435 in my 05 and the navigation system check feature confirms that my VSS is connected correctly.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?sh...pic=26966&st=20
Old 8/1/05, 01:18 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by azguy@August 1, 2005, 12:16 PM
The 05 does indeed have a VSS. Your navigation system may appear to work without it connected, but without the VSS connected it won't work correctly. Check the forum below for my entry confirming where the VSS can be accessed. I have the Eclipse AVN 5435 in my 05 and the navigation system check feature confirms that my VSS is connected correctly.

Well, technically it is not called VSS anymore. The PCM reads the OSS and makes up it's own VSS inside the PCM, so it is electronic. But azguy is correct, you can tap in to the wiring at the PCM and it works for VSS operation for navigation systems.
Old 8/1/05, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by azguy@August 1, 2005, 12:16 PM
Good info, but why do you state it "won't work correctly" without a VSS signal? The AVIC-D1 in my Toyota seems spot on after close to 1,000 miles driving with no VSS connection.
Old 8/1/05, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by groupset@August 1, 2005, 12:28 PM
Good info, but why do you state it "won't work correctly" without a VSS signal? The AVIC-D1 in my Toyota seems spot on after close to 1,000 miles driving with no VSS connection.

Check the link below for VSS info. You can also Google "Navigation System VSS" for additional info.

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/ISEO-rgb...cn1.html?page=7
Old 8/1/05, 03:02 PM

Originally posted by azguy@August 1, 2005, 2:13 PM
Check the link below for VSS info. You can also Google "Navigation System VSS" for additional info.

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/ISEO-rgb...cn1.html?page=7
Well, I checked out both Crutchfield's site and info returned on Google - I still don't see why it's necessary to connect the VSS wire on this or any capable GPS system. Crutchfield's reviewer says "The VSS sends critical information about the speed at which you're traveling, which the AVIC-N1 uses to perform its functions and monitor your position." This makes it sound like the AVIC-N1 won't even work without the VSS wire connected properly. In fact, the AVIC-D1 (and all portable GPS systems, including iNav GPS software I run on my PPC-6600 pda) use the GPS signals themselves to calculate whether or not your GPS unit, and therefore the car; your ATV; your boat; your hand; or whatever it's mounted to is moving. I don't have to connect a VSS wire to my pda in order for it to give me a very accurate MPH reading on the highway; and likewise my AVIC-D1 in my Toyota gives a seemingly accurate MPH readout (via the speedometer located on the Vehicle Dynamics screen).

With that said, that's still good info you provided about where to tap into the speed signal pulse on the '05 and I'll probably connect to it if and when I install the AVIC-D1 (or other) GPS in my Mustang. I probably won't, however, tear apart the dash in my Toyota to try and find the VSS wire in that vehicle.
Old 8/6/05, 07:15 PM

Anyone done the iPod option for this? Just curious I've been wanting to somehow hook it up so I could put the iPod in the center console cubby so it doesn't turn into a projectile should I have to stop short, or worse, get hit by someone.

Debating doing this myself. Based on what I've read and my experience repairing printers/computers this doesn't look super difficult, as long as you have the right harnesses/wires to hook things too.

The VSS info is good, anyone know the reverse lights?
Old 8/7/05, 04:41 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Trekkie@August 6, 2005, 7:18 PM
Anyone done the iPod option for this? Just curious I've been wanting to somehow hook it up so I could put the iPod in the center console cubby so it doesn't turn into a projectile should I have to stop short, or worse, get hit by someone.

Debating doing this myself. Based on what I've read and my experience repairing printers/computers this doesn't look super difficult, as long as you have the right harnesses/wires to hook things too.

Just use a + voltage wire supplying power to one of your backup lights. Tap in to it at the taillight housing.
Old 9/7/05, 08:59 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Trekkie@August 6, 2005, 7:18 PM

I have the IVA-D300 installed W/ ipod and gps. I installed the ipod in the center counsel glove box and gps in the trunk. the Alpine is a great system. BTW I am still hunting for the elusive VSS wire. Spent a good hour with flashlight and only seen one wire that evens come close to the color of DKblue/yellow I found the dark blue but it didn't have the yellow tracer. Any help would be great.
Old 9/24/05, 09:45 PM

Hey all. I'm installing an AVN5495 this weekend. Got it from Crutchfield along with the adapter harness. Only problem I'm having is that there doesn't appear to be a dimmer wire in the factory shaker 500 harness. Where are you all hooking your HU dimmer input to? Thanks much for any help.
Old 9/24/05, 10:12 PM

Good question, as I just noticed the dimmer function isn't working on the AVIC-D1 I just installed in my Mustang. I bought the wiring harness from Crutchfield; they only sent the larger harness - nothing to fit the smaller one that came out of the stock radio. Wonder if the illumination (dimmer) wire is one of those in the smaller harness? Timzilla - since you purchased your radio from Crutchfield, you could give their Technical Support Dept. a call and they would look up the wiring diagram for you and advise where to tap into the dimmer function. And then you could post that information here.
It would be much appreciated!
Old 9/25/05, 09:05 AM

They will help you if you just bought the wiring harness. i called them to ask how to stop the 'thump' from the subs and told them I'd just bought the harness and they helped me right away
Old 9/25/05, 02:51 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by sync007@September 7, 2005, 9:02 AM
I have the IVA-D300 installed W/ ipod and gps. I installed the ipod in the center counsel glove box and gps in the trunk. the Alpine is a great system. BTW I am still hunting for the elusive VSS wire. Spent a good hour with flashlight and only seen one wire that evens come close to the color of DKblue/yellow I found the dark blue but it didn't have the yellow tracer. Any help would be great.
Take the cover off of the top PCM connector, and it is the wire on the bottom left.

[attachmentid=34649]
Old 9/25/05, 06:04 PM

Originally posted by hawgman@September 25, 2005, 2:54 PM
Take the cover off of the top PCM connector, and it is the wire on the bottom left.

[attachmentid=34649]
To further explain; the VSS wire is under the hood, left (passenger) side as you're looking at the engine. Find the main fuse box on the left side, just in front of the passenger-side strut tower. The PCM is the box just to the right of the main fuse box; there are (I believe) 3 plugs going into it, all stacked vertically one on top of the other. As Hawgman states, it's the blue wire with the yellow stripe going into the top plug. And you have to tap into it right before it goes into the PCM, not out of the wire harness below the PCM. Don't ask me how I know that.
Old 9/25/05, 07:31 PM

I didn't want to wait till Monday to call Crutchfield, so I poked around and found a dimmer line close by. I used the yellow wire in the 4 wire bundle going to the Info/Setup/Reset control plug. Only issue is the dimmer has to be set nearly to max brightness to get enough juice to trigger the HU dim mode. Not a problem for me, but others may not like. The Eclipse HU doesn't appear to have a variable brightness anyway. It's either on or off. Once it's in dim mode you can adjust the instrument brightness down and the Eclipse will stay dim. Now, to solve the speaker pop. Eclipse book says it's normal, but I'm going to prefer abnormal in this case. Thanks for the help all )
Old 9/26/05, 08:43 AM
Cobra Member

what kind of speaker pop are you experiencing? If it is through the woofers when the amps kick on, it is a voltage issue. Has been discussed in a couple of different threads. Get a LM7805 and it will fix your problem ( IF that is the pop you are talking about )
Old 9/26/05, 08:48 AM

oh I already got a little resistor thing from Radio shack. I broke the first one and just unhooked the subs for now until I have the time/patience. I'm not very good with soldering and doing it while in the car makes me nervous as heck so I'm putting it off.
Old 6/10/06, 11:21 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks to the AVIC411.com Website, I am now able to add background images to my AVIC-D1/D2 Unit.
Here Are some Samples.
Attached Images      
Old 6/14/06, 07:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks 2K05GT, very cool. I'll have to give this a try. What I really need is updated east/west discs. My new house, which is 7 years old, is not even on the maps!

Quick Reply: Pioneer AVIC - D1