05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Pioneer AVIC - D1

Search this Thread

Old 5/11/05, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rcinco,
Does the stereo stay on after you take the key out (accessory delay)? Also, have you determined if the 8" subs are still working?
Old 5/11/05, 10:31 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by cgiard@May 11, 2005, 6:40 AM
rcinco,
Does the stereo stay on after you take the key out (accessory delay)? Also, have you determined if the 8" subs are still working?
The stereo turns off almost immediately when the key is taken out.

Everything, including the 8" subs seem to be working.
Old 5/11/05, 10:32 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by Tiberius1701+May 10, 2005, 5:39 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tiberius1701 @ May 10, 2005, 5:39 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-rcinco@May 9, 2005, 11:31 PM

The install looked tough. Thanks to Jim and Rich of Phat Customs for the great work. Those two guys spent 6.5 hours in the freezing cold (they didn't finish until 1:00 AM) installing the head unit. As you can see, they did a great job. There are gaps above and below the unit because the adapter for the Mustang was not yet available.

Freezing cold!?! Installed my system here in my non-heated garage in January - 10 degrees above!!-spent 4.5 total hours. BBBrrrrrrr. :shock:

Chiding aside-I have a Metra dual DIN adapter left over from my car's install kit for you if you want it. PM me and I can send it to you!
BTW it is the same install kit used for the New Gen F-150
[/b][/quote]

I just sent you a PM. Thanks for the kind offer.

BTW - anything below 55 degrees is considered "freezing cold" in CA.
Old 5/11/05, 10:34 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by Axslynger@May 10, 2005, 6:15 PM
Well ......I finished my install of the AVIC D1. Took about 3 1/2 hours. That included a newer XM tuner as well. I did take some pics during install, but I don't have the time to post 'em all now. I'll give you a look at the finished product. The adapters worked well, and the harness was right on the money. There was an adapter with it for the door subs....I think.....but I'm not sure of the hook up. I'll call them tomorrow about it.

[attachmentid=20699]
That looks great. It's nice (and comforting) to see what my system will hopefully look like when all is said and done.

Do you have an iPod adapter? If so, is the icon the screen that of an iPod or is it a generic "EXT-1"? My iPod appears as the latter, but the manual shows the former.
Old 5/11/05, 10:46 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by raekwon888@May 11, 2005, 3:59 AM
does that thing hide away at all? also how much did it cost cuz an extra 250 for dvd play ability does not sound bad considering the kenwood im interested is about 1,000 with just dvd and 2,000 with both dvd and navigation.

an extra 250 beats the heck out of an extra 1,000.
The screen doesn't hide away. There is the option to change the viewing angle of the screen, and the screen drops out of the way to put in CDs and DVDs.
Old 5/11/05, 09:15 PM

Originally posted by Axslynger@May 10, 2005, 10:15 PM
Well ......I finished my install of the AVIC D1. Took about 3 1/2 hours. That included a newer XM tuner as well. I did take some pics during install, but I don't have the time to post 'em all now. I'll give you a look at the finished product. The adapters worked well, and the harness was right on the money. There was an adapter with it for the door subs....I think.....but I'm not sure of the hook up. I'll call them tomorrow about it.

[attachmentid=20699]
Axslynger,
I see you mentioned here that the subs worked for you, did you change the harness you used from the other day when you thought it didn't work?
Also can you tell me the trim kit # and company that you got it from. In addition, can you tell me the colors and locations of the other wires in the stang for the hook up of the nav (vss, etc.). I am going to go it alone on the install and i am having a hard time locating wiring info for my mustang., your install looks great!

i have the avic d1 plus the xm/traffic addon & the ipod add on.

thanks again
Old 5/11/05, 11:15 PM
GT Member

Glad to help. I DO have a door sub harness, but I had a question on it and I had to call them about it. They gave me an answer today, but I haven't tried it yet. They say the door subs will work with this harness. I'm really not an electronics expert, but I have my doubts. I'll be honest with you. I was playing with the controls today, and even with the stock speakers....it did well. I can imagine with the door subs working.

So far as the speed sensor and reverse light goes. I didn't hook them up. I had the AVIC-N1 too, and didn't hook those wires up either. The only thing you won't be able to use is the Vehicle Dynamics display. I really could care less about it, so I didn't bother. If your into that, your gonna need to find the SS wire. They do have it in the instructions that came with the wiring harness although its vague about where it actually is, and what color the wire is. Try it without it. I did, and the unit still functions fine for me.

I got mine from Crutchfield. Part numbers for you. Dash Kit 120995807. Harness adapter 120705521. You can search for it online at crutchfield.com

This is my 5th or 6th unit from them, and they have ALWAYS been a huge help with stuff like this.

Anything else you want to ask.......give me a shout.

Good luck!!!

Kevin
Old 5/12/05, 08:18 AM

Originally posted by Axslynger@May 11, 2005, 11:18 PM
Glad to help. I DO have a door sub harness, but I had a question on it and I had to call them about it. They gave me an answer today, but I haven't tried it yet. They say the door subs will work with this harness. I'm really not an electronics expert, but I have my doubts. I'll be honest with you. I was playing with the controls today, and even with the stock speakers....it did well. I can imagine with the door subs working.

So far as the speed sensor and reverse light goes. I didn't hook them up. I had the AVIC-N1 too, and didn't hook those wires up either. The only thing you won't be able to use is the Vehicle Dynamics display. I really could care less about it, so I didn't bother. If your into that, your gonna need to find the SS wire. They do have it in the instructions that came with the wiring harness although its vague about where it actually is, and what color the wire is. Try it without it. I did, and the unit still functions fine for me.

I got mine from Crutchfield. Part numbers for you. Dash Kit 120995807. Harness adapter 120705521. You can search for it online at crutchfield.com

This is my 5th or 6th unit from them, and they have ALWAYS been a huge help with stuff like this.

Good luck!!!

Kevin
Great job! Looks sweeeeeet! Exactly what I want to do to my car (if and when I get it!!!). Where are you going to mount the XM antenna?
Old 5/12/05, 08:36 AM
GT Member

Thanks!! I'm happy with the AVIC-D1. Seems to work well.

Unfortunately.....it's on the trunk lid. Mine won't work inside the car. I'm not happy about it being there, but I don't have many options. My GPS antenna works from inside, but the XM antenna won't. Has to be outside and on metal to work.

Originally posted by groupset+May 12, 2005, 9:21 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(groupset @ May 12, 2005, 9:21 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Axslynger@May 11, 2005, 11:18 PM

Good luck!!!

Kevin
Great job! Looks sweeeeeet! Exactly what I want to do to my car (if and when I get it!!!). Where are you going to mount the XM antenna?
[/b][/quote]
Old 5/12/05, 12:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

Onlinecarstereo.com is selling the D1 for $1299.00. I'm wondering if I should buy the unit from them and get the kit and harness from Crutchfield? My local stereo shop is selling the D1 for $1599.00 and charging $100 to install it. Would you all do it yourself or have the local shop do it?

Axslynger where inside the car did you mount the navi antenna?
Old 5/12/05, 02:03 PM
GT Member

I chose to mount it on the rear dash. Works great there!!
Old 5/12/05, 09:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Axslynger@May 12, 2005, 2:06 PM
I chose to mount it on the rear dash. Works great there!!
What route did you take running the wire back there?
Old 5/13/05, 04:56 AM
GT Member

Actually, I chose to come down off the rear dash to the right. Down the passenger side of the rear seat. Then under the plastic trim near the floor and then up the center console directly to the dash. There is about a one inch gap between the rear seat and the center console that you can see the GPS wire. What I did is temporary just so I could use the unit. I'm going to spend more time with it this weekend to "clean up" that part of the install.

On another note, I did get the door subs to work with this unit. The small harness I got from Crutchfield connects to the small 4 wire harness that came off the shaker 500. If one of the blue/white striped wires in the adapter is connected to the Mustangs green/purple wire via the adapters plug and then the 2 corresponding RCA jacks are connected to the front output, the subs actually work!! The blue/white from the Pioneer unit labeled wired remote goes to the other end of the adapters blue/white harness.
Old 5/22/05, 07:27 PM

Originally posted by Axslynger@May 11, 2005, 11:18 PM
I thought the AVIC-D1 calculated the vehicle dynamics based on its own internal calibrations, independent of outside signal (i.e.; you don't have to connect to VSS wiring to enable the vehicle dynamics display). As I recall, however, it will take many miles of driving (several hundred) in order for the AVIC-D1 to calibrate itself. Does your vehicle dynamics display work yet on your unit?
Old 5/22/05, 07:57 PM
GT Member

You know....I really didn't look at it. I mean I had the screen on, but there is a counter for speed pulses right on the display, and I just figured it wouldn't work. I'll have to try it now since you've brought it up. I'll try tomorrow, and see what happens. I'll let you know.
Old 5/26/05, 06:24 PM

Here's another thought on where to tap into the VSS, Axslynger - I've got a PDF of the Shaker wiring diagram; according to it Pin 14 on the left-hand plug (viewed from the rear) is the "Vehicle Speed". I know the radios will automatically adjust volume level depending upon the vehicle's speed; I bet they use the same VSS to input a signal into the radio - could probably tap into that wire right behind the radio for your AVIC-D1 hookup! (I tried to attach the diagram; too big - PM me if you're interested and I'll send it to you.)
Old 5/26/05, 06:30 PM
GT Member

You da man!! Actually I tried it today, and to my amazement......it actually works. Speedometer, G-force and all the other nonsensical but cool stuff was working. I'll PM you for the info. Thanks for the help!!!!
Old 6/1/05, 12:56 AM

Originally posted by Axslynger@May 26, 2005, 5:33 PM
You da man!! Actually I tried it today, and to my amazement......it actually works. Speedometer, G-force and all the other nonsensical but cool stuff was working. I'll PM you for the info. Thanks for the help!!!!

DUDE! I have the KENWOOD DDX7015 + KNA-DV4100 NAV. I got everything to work great except for the "guidance". I saw the pdf of the Pin #14 thing but there was nothing in pin #14 on mine. Even though I did have speed volume on my shaker 500. The screen shows my current point and it moves as I move. It just does not have the guidance feature. It even says that "when you reach the highlited road on the map, guidance will begin." It is driving me crazy.

Some people say there is no VSS on our cars and some say it is there and you have to find it. And some people say, you dont need to connect it.

Anyone please help me and my stereo guy. Did I buy the wrong stereo???!?

Thanks in advance!

John
Old 6/1/05, 05:17 AM
GT Member

I'm not that familiar with the Kenwood, but I still to this day have not hooked up my VSS or reverse wire and the AVIC-D1 works flawlessly. I used it the other day on a trek to PA, and the guidance, vehicle position and even Nav-traffic worked fine. Are you sure about that "no wire on pin 14" comment? I have the PDF as well from a friend on here. I haven't looked mind you, but it says it's there. I'll look around some more and see if I can find more info.
Old 6/1/05, 10:25 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Macsimus@June 1, 2005, 12:59 AM
DUDE! I have the KENWOOD DDX7015
I've got the same unit, just not the NAV ( yet ). So if you figure it out let everyone know. I am very interested.

Quick Reply: Pioneer AVIC - D1