05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Pie/Hurst & Airbag Light

Search this Thread

Old 12/31/05, 04:47 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi folks, I installed my new Hurst shifter as well as my PIE adaptor today (thanks Santa). Both work great. However, my airbag light is on now. I disconnected the ground from the battery while I was working, other than that I didn't do anything that should mess up the airbags. All the connectors on the airbag module are tight. Could disconnecting the battery cause the light to come on? If so, is there a way to reset it, or do I need to see the dealer?

Thanks, and happy new year!
Old 12/31/05, 05:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

Did you disconnect anything in the center console or cluster?
Old 12/31/05, 06:14 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Disconnecting the battery would not have caused it and I doubt installing the shifter would have either. My guess is it has to do with the installation of the PIE adapter. Better recheck all of your connections.
Old 12/31/05, 06:52 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I recall correctly the passenger airbag has a connector somewhere behind the glove box. Maybe somehow this got bumped or possible unplugged. That maybe a good place to start investigating this problem...
Old 12/31/05, 08:51 PM
Bullitt Member

You aren't using a seat belt extender are you? I have them to help adjust the belt across the shoulder. If it's plugged in your passenger side , the car thinks there is someone sitting there. With no weight on the seat, the air bag turns off (light on). Just an idea.....
Old 12/31/05, 10:03 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Martimus@December 31, 2005, 8:55 PM
If I recall correctly the passenger airbag has a connector somewhere behind the glove box. Maybe somehow this got bumped or possible unplugged. That maybe a good place to start investigating this problem...
Cool, thanks. I'll check there first thing in the morning. Also, no seat belt extender, although I could probably use one.

Thanks for the replies. Happy new year!
Old 12/31/05, 10:06 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by BuzzyStang05@December 31, 2005, 7:45 PM
Did you disconnect anything in the center console or cluster?
Nothing that hasen't been plugged back in, besides the power outlet in the console.
Old 1/1/06, 06:46 AM
Bullitt Member

There's nothing sitting on the passenger seat is there (ie. tools, box etc)... I don't know about my mustang, but my 05 Ford F-150 has the airbag light come on when I place groceries or something, that doesn't weigh too much, on the passenger seat indicating the airbag is turned off... Supposedly this is to prevent accidental injury to a child sitting in the front seat... Just another food for thought...
Old 1/1/06, 12:30 PM
GT Member

Well, it's official. I am an idiot. I went out this morning and started it up, airbag light came on. I am talking about the idiot light by the steering wheel if I didn't make it clear earlier.

So, I hit the buttons for the info center. Nothing. Hit the traction control button. Nothing. So, I took the panel around the stereo back off and sure enough I had forgotten to plug the three top connectors in, including the connector for the airbag off light. That's was it, plugged them in and problem solved. I feel dumb, but I'm very relieved just the same.

Thanks for the replies.

Oh by the way, if anyone is interested I can give some details about the shifter and PIE installs. Neither one was as easy as I thought it would be, but both were doable and well worth the trouble.
Old 1/1/06, 02:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Glad you got it fixed! Now you can get some sleep tonight...
Old 1/1/06, 03:48 PM
Cobra Member

Congrats on the discovery Bill! I figured it had to be something pretty straightforward!!! Glad to hear things are back to normal!
Old 1/1/06, 04:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What is a PIE adaptor? :scratch:
Old 1/1/06, 04:53 PM
Cobra Member

The PIE adapter is the ipod/auxillary device adapter that Logjam electronics sell that so many people were having issues with in months gone by.

It basically plugs into the back of the Shaker and provides two RCA jacks so you get an AUX port that you can connect a satellite radio, mp3 player, or other device into.

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piefrd04aux.html
Old 1/1/06, 05:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks!
Old 1/1/06, 08:13 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Martimus@January 1, 2006, 5:51 PM
Congrats on the discovery Bill! I figured it had to be something pretty straightforward!!! Glad to hear things are back to normal!

Thanks guys! Took it for a spin today and everything's working fine. Hurst shifter is really cool, nice short shifts. Makes the car feel like a true muscle car. And the PIE adaptor is working fine so far as well, knock on wood.
Old 1/2/06, 11:04 AM
V6 Member

Interesting news on the PIE adapter.. been following the PIE threads a little bit and really would like to get one, now that I have Sirius...

a. Anyone still having troubles with it?
b. I would like to save a few bucks on installing one.. how hard is it to do and are there instructions somewhere that I missed on how to remove the center console to install it?

thanks for any info you could share
Old 1/2/06, 01:19 PM
GT Member

It's working fine so far.

Install was easy, except that the connector behind the vent selector dial is a real PIA to disconnect.

Only one electrical connection to the blue wire on the cigarette lighter/power plug. Ground to a bolt on the floor.

The hardest part besides disconnecting that connector is finding a place for the adaptor unit itself. I crammed it back in under some wires. It seems to be stable. I ran a RCA to 13mm wire to the center console where I have my ipod plugged into the power outlet. Works great. Just be careful when removing the stereo that you don't scratch it on the stickshift. I scratched mine a little.

pdfs for removing the console and stereo can be found here.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?sh...4240&hl=console
Old 1/2/06, 01:29 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by evilernie@January 2, 2006, 2:22 PM
It's working fine so far.

Install was easy, except that the connector behind the vent selector dial is a real PIA to disconnect.

Only one electrical connection to the blue wire on the cigarette lighter/power plug. Ground to a bolt on the floor.

The hardest part besides disconnecting that connector is finding a place for the adaptor unit itself. I crammed it back in under some wires. It seems to be stable. I ran a RCA to 13mm wire to the center console where I have my ipod plugged into the power outlet. Works great. Just be careful when removing the stereo that you don't scratch it on the stickshift. I scratched mine a little.

pdfs for removing the console and stereo can be found here.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?sh...4240&hl=console
aha! thank you! you are my new hero!

cant wait to hear satellite radio without the FM modulator
Old 1/31/06, 05:04 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Martimus@January 1, 2006, 5:56 PM
The PIE adapter is the ipod/auxillary device adapter that Logjam electronics sell that so many people were having issues with in months gone by.

It basically plugs into the back of the Shaker and provides two RCA jacks so you get an AUX port that you can connect a satellite radio, mp3 player, or other device into.

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piefrd04aux.html
Thanks for the website! I just bought one and I hope to install it soon. Man I wasted $39 on the FM ipod connectors, to everyone do not waste your money on any FM connectors. Thanks again I hope it ends up working out for me.

Where are you guys mounting your ipods if you have pictures that would be cool. I put mine in the rear cupholder with the Bekin mount it almost sits flush, but I'm not sure this is where I want to keep it for the long run.