05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

PIE how to install?

Search this Thread

Old 1/3/07, 09:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PIE how to install?

I searched for a write up of the PIE adaptor, and was not able to find one? anyone have one or know some tips for the install? i'll make a write up when i install mine if none exsits
Old 1/3/07, 09:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Here you go.

http://www.jtephoto.com/mustang/idiots_guide/Idiots.htm

And here are my install notes.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...188#post645188
Old 1/3/07, 11:47 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

where do people buy the add a fuse, from autozone or radio shack
Old 1/4/07, 12:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Radio shack has a couple different types of in-line fuse connectors. They each use a standard fuse type, one is automotive style(plastic with two tabs on one side) and the other is the glass tube type. Radio shack also sells the tiny replacement fuses for our cars, but you might need to call around, the first one i went to didn't have em.

As far as install goes, as long as you have the console dissasembled, you can just tap into one of the 12v constats for the cigarette lighters. And yes, they are constant, so disconnect the battery or pull the fuse (I blew the fuse first time around).

Also do a search for the crutchfield instructions, somone posted them as pdf here. maybe it's in one of the links kirby posted.

Anyways I've had my pie installed for a couple weeks now and it's worked out great. I'm getting an iPod universal dock and I'm going to wire it for the top of the dash.
Old 1/4/07, 05:54 AM
Bullitt Member

I got my inline fuse connector at Walmart in the automotive section.
Old 1/4/07, 08:47 AM
GT Member

PIE Adapter -- Sound Quality

Has anyone that has installed the PIE still had issues with the sound from the Sirius radio still not being clean?

A friend just had the PIE installed in his Mustang to improve the sound from using the FM modulator.

The Sirius Sportster now works with the AUX button but the sound is still not as clean as an FM station.
Old 1/4/07, 09:30 AM
Bullitt Member

My Sirius Starmate sounds great with the PIE.
Old 1/4/07, 02:34 PM
Bullitt Member

i just finished installing mine and was AMAZED at the clear sound coming from my XM at first i noticed it was staticy but i turned the volume done on the xm and the up on the stereo and now it sounds great... that could be your problem
Old 1/4/07, 02:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah, you just have to tweak the volume levels on each and find out which combo works best. For my iPod i did the dial all the way down on the PIE box, and volume at 75-80% on the iPod. I use the dial on the radio to turn it up or down.
Old 1/4/07, 06:04 PM
GT Member

Static PIE

Thanks! I will have my friend give it a try on his Sirius install and will keep that in mind when I have my XM put in next week (also using the PIE).
Old 1/4/07, 09:55 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

i am going with the factory sirius but this is good info if i need a switched power source
Old 1/5/07, 01:42 AM
Bullitt Member

any one notice a quite high pitched noice from there pie? i just started noticing it.... agent moo : there is a volume on the PIE box?
Old 1/5/07, 01:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Yes, there is a small dial that adjusts the amplification. It is recessed and you need a small screwdriver to turn it, adjusting it to the lowest volume level for me helped the signal a lot.

Buzzing can come from having the volume too low on the (Ipod, sirius, etc..) and overamplifying it so it picks up the white noise on the line. You ideally want a "line out" fixed volume setting from your device, which is a signal that is optimal level (not amplified or reduced).
Old 1/9/07, 04:56 PM
Bullitt Member

i adjusted the volume fine but i experianced the "no aux audio" problem... now i wired in a switch to the power for it and hopefully that will keep it working
Old 2/1/07, 01:39 PM

12v constant source connection

Great info from everyone! Is tapping into the 12v power (cig lighter) as easy as everyone is making it sound? Is soldering the only method or is there an inline "crimp" type connector that will make it cleaner? Thanks!
Old 2/3/07, 12:07 PM
Bullitt Member

i just used splice in connectors you can pic them up at radio shack and i think i even saw them at advance auto once...

you just put that over the cig lighter and put the other wire in with it, use plyers or what ever to press the metel tab down and close the lid... only problem is that its not reverable/ you can take the tab off once you spliced into the wire because it just about cuts the wire
Old 2/3/07, 01:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Those in-line splice connectors suck really bad. They will work for a while and then lose their connection. I had a bunch of those on my nitrous setup on my last car, and various parts of the system kept failing until I replaced all the splice connectors. Looking at the connectors that failed, what I saw on some was that the small spot where the plate connects to the wire had gotten so hot that it melted the plastic and burned out the metal where it connects to the wire.

What I do is cut both ends of the wire i'm splicing into, and use a butt connector to crimp the new wire into it, and it makes a nice solid connection.
Attached Images  
Old 2/3/07, 06:10 PM
Bullitt Member

I knocked out the PIE adapter hook up in a few minutes (not counting dissasemlbing the dash. purple/black goes to a power source (12v cig lighter - green wire) and the green/black from the PIE goes to a ground. I just used one of the bolts on the stereo frame assembly.

I also hard wired my radar detector and used the cig lighter to power my 7in touchscreen that displays stuff from my carPC...

I'll take pics and do a right up tomorrow...
Old 2/5/07, 10:33 AM
Bullitt Member

i wouldn't use the tap splices for anything that requires a lot of power but for accessories to the radio i'm pretty sure they wont be a problem, i've had my xm wire with them for almost a year now and now problems... also the sequential tail lights use those connectors.
Old 2/5/07, 12:04 PM
Bullitt Member

The one that gave me the most trouble was a NX bottle heater. That thing used a farily large amount of power. I had a tap on an oxygen sensor that held up though.

Once I get a house with a garage, it's all soldered connections for me...

Quick Reply: PIE how to install?