05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Picking Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 2/6/05, 04:36 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been rummaging through speakers and cant quite decide what I want from my system. I started with the basic, 4 speaker system, and promptly upgraded to a Pioneer DEH-P3600 headunit (basically the economy one with 2 preouts). But as far as speakers I'm kindof stumped. I was thinking along the lines of a higher end Pioneer 3-way all around with a 4 channel amp, but will that offer enough bass? Are 3-way speakers really worth it? should I just get an above average 3/2-way speaker for all around and invest in some subs? I'm in my younger years where bass is very appealing, yet at the same time, you can only take so much. My taste in music is lots of variations of the hard rock genre (heavy metal, industrial, ect.) along with jazz, trance/techno, and sometimes some rap (I hate to admit that last one) any opinons?
Old 2/6/05, 05:03 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I listen to all kinds of music, including rap. Also country - classical - techno, one of my favorite bands is the Beatles. To me, good music is good music, it doesn't matter what channel it's being played on. I've had a lot of Pioneer stuff. It's surprisingly good, one of the best in terms of performance for dollar that your $ can buy.
Old 2/7/05, 10:46 AM
Bullitt Member

I have been thinking about that same question. I decided to get a 3-way component setup with a seperate subwoofer for the deep bass. I figure with a 3-way setup you are going to get the best clarity because of the passive crossover, and the sub is going to fill in where normal speakers just can't extend to. The speakers I chose were:

http://onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/Produc...ProductID=14203

I also go the below amp since it was 5-channel:

http://onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/Produc...ProductID=14181

I haven't installed any of it because I still need my head unit, which I want to be the kenwood 7015 model. I just need the dough first!
Old 2/7/05, 01:35 PM
GT Member

3-way coaxial speakers are not really much better then 2-way coaxials. If you are talking about 3-way component speakers then it is a different story.

Getting a basic 4 speaker setup (maybe a set of higher end 2-way coaxials - millions of choices depending on your price range) and a 10" or 12" sub would make a nice sounding system.
Old 2/8/05, 04:09 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
<opinion>Any company that makes stereos DOESN'T make speakers worth buying</opinion> Or, at the very least, that's my take on things. And that includes Kenwood, Sony, and yes, Pioneer among others. Not sure why, but they sure don't seem to put much effort into them.

In general, you will be much better off sound wise if you go with 2-way COMPONENT speakers vs. coaxial speakers. Usually, the drivers are much better on the component speakers and even when the drivers are the same, there is a sonic improvement in not having the tweeter masking the woofer. Plus, you have much better control of your sound stage when you can position the much smaller tweeter seperately from the woofer.

Until fairly recently, I had been a diehard MB-Quart fan. I had never heard any speakers that sounded as good as their mid rang and higher componenet speakers, but MAN!!! You paid for it out of your wallet! Plus, that 1" titanium dome tweeter could be a little TOO good at louder volumn levels. It could become harsh pretty easy if everything wasn't dialed in perfectly.

That changed recently when I installed a set of Polk Audio MMC6500 component speakers in my pickup. The lows and mids were just as clean as the Quartz and the so was the tweeter (a silk dome tweeter). But they never became harsh, even at "elevated" listening levels. Plus, they were about 1/2 the price of a comperable Quartz speaker ($250 vs. $500). After extended listening in my truck (Polk Audio) and my sister's car (MB-Quart), I finally decided that I just liked the sound of the Polk's better. Admittedly, the Polk's were driven with a better amp than the Quartz, but at the levels we listened to them, that should not make that much difference in sound quality.

Now I'm at the uncomfortable position of deciding what to do with my pickup's stereo when my 05 gets here: do I hand the Polk's and amp from the truck to form the basis of my Mustang's stereo, or do I save up a bit longer and buy new components for the Mustang??? I will only drive the pick up one or maybe two days a week, but I sure hate the though of not having any (decent) music in my truck when I DO drive it!
Old 2/17/05, 01:18 AM

I am going to change out the stereo When I receive my car. Im going to replace the head unit with a Pioneer 7500 touch screen. The unit has Dolby 5.1 surround which is XM ready. I am going to use 2 TRU 4 channel amps. For speakers I am using all Rockford Fosgate. For the doors I will use 5X7 separates with the tweeter location being the pillar. I will replace the woofers with 8" speakers in the door for mid bass. I will then use another pair of the 5X7's in the rear deck with the tweeters going in the rear pillars. I will then use 2 Fosgate 12" subs in the trunk. I am going to use Audio Controls equalizer & crossover. We will figure out where to go once that is completed.
Old 2/17/05, 10:34 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by GregFP05@February 17, 2005, 12:21 AM
I am going to change out the stereo When I receive my car. Im going to replace the head unit with a Pioneer 7500 touch screen. The unit has Dolby 5.1 surround which is XM ready. I am going to use 2 TRU 4 channel amps. For speakers I am using all Rockford Fosgate. For the doors I will use 5X7 separates with the tweeter location being the pillar. I will replace the woofers with 8" speakers in the door for mid bass. I will then use another pair of the 5X7's in the rear deck with the tweeters going in the rear pillars. I will then use 2 Fosgate 12" subs in the trunk. I am going to use Audio Controls equalizer & crossover. We will figure out where to go once that is completed.

wait a sec. how in the world are you going to wire all that? Especially if you aren't using component speakers. Your headunit will have 3 pre outs, I believe. Front, Rear, and sub. You listed front, frotn sub, rear, and rear sub.

explain again how you plan to wire this?
Old 2/17/05, 08:04 PM

I am not sure exactly how it will all be installed. The radio has 6 preouts & the digital eq will have 6 input & 6 output. The 5X7 are fosgate components. I have a friend whose shop will be doing all the work. They do some of Ford's show cars for SEMA.