05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Pass Side Power Seat Mod

Search this Thread

Old 10/16/08, 09:48 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pass Side Power Seat Mod

Originally Posted by delz05
I was able to get a drivers side power seat set-up from ebay, 45.00. included harness and switch

I removed the passenger seat tracks from the bottom of the pass seat. (you will need a ratcheting box wrench) I cut the spot weld rivits that hold the seat track mounts (part that bolts to the floor), separated them from the seat tracks. Did the same on the power set-up, Attached the ones from original seat to power seat track (bolted and then mig-welded), swapped seat belt connector, (simply unbolts) to opposite side (could even use one from your seat).

WIRING...I did my install when I was changing over the carpet, and doing some other mods, but...with dirver's seat removed, open up the area of the carpet that hides the seat wiring. Identify power seat harness, I made up a small harness that taps into the drivers side power and ground...2 pin female connector, 2 pin male connector (matching 14guage) over to passenger side (under carpet, under console, out similar hole as on drivers side, 30amp fuse holder on POS side) then matched up connector to power seat track, aligning the pin connectors accordingly (power to power, ground to ground).

I kept all the original wiring from my passenger seat intact. (I have airbags) and just made up the connector to power the seat track (2 wires) I went a little over board, in keeping everything (all the wiring) looking factory. I also added heated seat kits, as well as changing the LT grey leather to dark charcoal.

The only items of cost were the used power seat track, and the 07/08 passenger side plastic cover that wraps around the bottom of the seat.

Wiring harness came with seat track. I stripped out all un-used wires from the harness, to reduce the "under seat" clutter. (drivers seats have power lumbar, great add-on if you can get the pieces) You will only use wiring from seat track to switch, seat track to power.

Ebay seller "ibuyjunk" had set-ups last week or so, less than 50.00 for all need items, including switch.

Total time...about 8 hours, including having to drive up to my friend's shop to use the welder.

Here is a brief (somewhat!) run down on how to modify a drivers side power seat track to fit an operate on the passenger side. A number of TMS'ers have PM'ed me about a posting I placed the other day. I have had my seat installed since last fall (or early spring, can't remember) with NO ISSUES at all. I have removed the seats a number of times, (cleaning and additional mods) simply by un-bolting, unplugging and re-installing. I have swapped out leather seat covers and added heated seats, no troubles. Power seat track works great! I did not takes pics as I went along doing this mod, but it is very simple and straight forward, if you have some basic mechanical skills, and you know how to modify the FORD connectors.