05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Is PAC Radio Replacement required?

Old 12/4/12, 05:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is PAC Radio Replacement required?

For those with aftermarket radios, did you buy this? Im at crutchfield and this product is coming up to buy. Its $129 and not really trying to buy that. Does this sound familiar to anyone and did you need it?

I'm just confused what I need for this installation.
Old 12/4/12, 07:34 PM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought one and used it's not necessary. If you don't use the PAC the only thing you'll loose is the ability to have the radio on once you remove the key from the ignition. You will need a to wire in a diode to prevent the amp "pop" when you turn the radio on. Review this how to for more info. https://themustangsource.com/f692/al...w-pics-455116/
Old 12/4/12, 09:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Wow great right up. Okay, yeah that's not to big of a deal I guess. But since you seem very informative on this, I'll ask a question. Not sure where you ordered unit, but the back of the stock unit has special connections. Then the after market units have the white and red hookups, etc. Do I need to buy adapters or what? Or are they typically included in the purchase. I'm looking at crutchfield BTW. The PAC radio piece seemed like the adapters I needed but you said I actually don't need them.

Sorry for the rookie questions, but I know nothing when it comes to car audio.

And the popping sound, does that just occur if I don't use the PAC Ford adapter? Thanks
Old 12/5/12, 06:42 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
If you buy from Crutchfield , they will give you a metra harness set and you attach the wires from it to the plug wires on you head unit. Then they plug into the same harness your shaker unit did. The only real reason for getting the expensive adapter is if your new unit has the speed volume control like the shaker does , most aftermarket units don't , otherwise it won't work. Yes the PAC adapter takes care of the popping and the night dimming on the unit , but it's a lot of money for something that's fairly easy to fix yourself.
Old 12/5/12, 08:51 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 05YellowGT
If you buy from Crutchfield , they will give you a metra harness set and you attach the wires from it to the plug wires on you head unit. Then they plug into the same harness your shaker unit did. The only real reason for getting the expensive adapter is if your new unit has the speed volume control like the shaker does , most aftermarket units don't , otherwise it won't work. Yes the PAC adapter takes care of the popping and the night dimming on the unit , but it's a lot of money for something that's fairly easy to fix yourself.
When I bought my Kenwood from Crutchfield's this summer, I ended up ordering the PACs harness since they offered a 50% discount on it. Although you do get the amp popping issue addressed, I confirmed with Crutchfield's after trying 2 different PACs harnesses that the night dimming function would not work without running that line directly to the headlight switch.
Old 12/5/12, 09:01 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Doogie
When I bought my Kenwood from Crutchfield's this summer, I ended up ordering the PACs harness since they offered a 50% discount on it. Although you do get the amp popping issue addressed, I confirmed with Crutchfield's after trying 2 different PACs harnesses that the night dimming function would not work without running that line directly to the headlight switch.
OK , even less reason to get it then. Did they say if the speed volume control worked with it ?
Old 12/5/12, 09:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Awesome thanks guys. Helps a lot. So the only reason for it is to prevent the popping sound, and if that can be fixed somehow than there's no since I guess.

I did find it on amazon for $66 actually. Would you guys say its still not worth it? Is the popping sound easy to fix?
Old 12/5/12, 11:09 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

For the popping you need either the resistor or voltage regulator shown in the link above. If you follow the link the whole install is pretty easy , doesn't matter which head unit you have.
Old 12/5/12, 11:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tu3218
Awesome thanks guys. Helps a lot. So the only reason for it is to prevent the popping sound, and if that can be fixed somehow than there's no since I guess.

I did find it on amazon for $66 actually. Would you guys say its still not worth it? Is the popping sound easy to fix?
No it is definately not worth it. Selling that thing for more than $25-30 is a crime. Just do the resistor/regulator like stated above. Its an easy install. And if you ever go aftermarket with your amps you wont need the regualtor anyways.
Old 12/5/12, 07:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks!! You guys have been a huge help. Definitely feeling more comfortable about doing this myself and not wasting money!

One last question ( for now lol), I have an 08 with stock aux port. Is there anyway to keep use of it? The pioneer head unit I think I'm getting, the new x2500 version has a aux on the back. Which I'm glad because I didn't want to have wires hanging around the screen, etc(I'm a minimalist). Anyway, I was wondering if I can wire an aux cable into the one built into the console. I'm assuming there's an aux cord running underneath the plastic piece where the shifter is and cup holders. I could be wrong though. Never been under there.

If not, I'm thinking I could just run an aux cable under there, drill a hole somewhere in the center console and have the aux cord feed into the center console. Hopefully somebody gets what I'm hoping to do. Thanks again.
Old 12/6/12, 05:09 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Mine's an 05 and my shaker didn't have an aux port , but for my USB cable I run it under the console , which you have to remove to R/R the head unit , to the rear and I would assume you can do the same for the aux gable.
Old 12/6/12, 11:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Probably going to be more trouble than its worth to try and reuse the stock one. I would just do like you guys were talking about and run it under the center console then drill a hole or somthing. I have an 05 so mine didnt have an aux port either. I just poped off a little plastic peice off where the aux port would be in the console and ran it through there.
Name:  2011-07-09_15-52-38_961.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  25.1 KB

Last edited by 05PRMTX; 12/6/12 at 11:44 AM.
Old 12/6/12, 12:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 05PRMTX
Probably going to be more trouble than its worth to try and reuse the stock one. I would just do like you guys were talking about and run it under the center console then drill a hole or somthing. I have an 05 so mine didnt have an aux port either. I just poped off a little plastic peice off where the aux port would be in the console and ran it through there.
Actually I have that plastic piece too. The stock aux port is right next to the power outlet. So I think I can just pop off that same piece and run the aux cord through that hole into the center console.
Old 12/9/12, 08:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Does the PAC interface make installation easier? Just seeing if I can find it cheaper and since I never installed a head unit before, if it makes it easier and less complicated I'd think about getting it. Ordering my unit tomorrow.

I read some stories of people have to cut, splice, etc. Trying to avoid this if possible. Will I have to do that stuff if I Dont get the PAC harness?

Last edited by tu3218; 12/9/12 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12/10/12, 05:34 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Here's a link to what you'll need to do if you don't , it really isn't too bad ...

https://themustangsource.com/f692/al...w-pics-455116/
Old 12/12/12, 12:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by tu3218
Does the PAC interface make installation easier? Just seeing if I can find it cheaper and since I never installed a head unit before, if it makes it easier and less complicated I'd think about getting it. Ordering my unit tomorrow.

I read some stories of people have to cut, splice, etc. Trying to avoid this if possible. Will I have to do that stuff if I Dont get the PAC harness?
The only thing you will have to cut and splice is the regulator/resistor if you dont use the pac. You will have to tie the wires from the new radio harness to the adaptor harness but its all color coded so theres no guess work. Like yellow GT said its really pretty easy. If go with the cheap one and get stuck I should have pictures of mine somewhere.
Old 12/17/12, 11:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

So I ordered my unit and it asked about some relay to boost current if other accessories were going to be used from ignition. I called an they said only worry about that it you have different amplifiers.

Well I just saw this in my trunk. Is this a mini amplifier? I have no idea where it goes or what it does.
Attached Images  
Old 12/17/12, 12:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

That looks like a line-in converter. Its a cheap solution people putin so they can add aftermarket subs and amps to a stock radio. Not the best quality but it works.All it does is take the low end signal from the speakers and let you send it to an amplifier. Whoever had the car before you must have put it in.

Do you have a factory shaker system?

Last edited by 05PRMTX; 12/17/12 at 12:17 PM.
Old 12/17/12, 12:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 05PRMTX
That looks like a line-in converter. Its a cheap solution people putin so they can add aftermarket subs and amps to a stock radio. Not the best quality but it works.All it does is take the low end signal from the speakers and let you send it to an amplifier. Whoever had the car before you must have put it in.
Oh cool thanks for the info. That's what I was thinking. But what does it mean for my installation of my new head unit when it comes? The speakers in the say ford on them so its gotta be stock for those. I haven't noticed after market speakers anywhere else so I'm sure about this.
Old 12/17/12, 12:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

No problem.What i meant was does yours have the premium stock stereo with the door subs and/or trunk subs? It sounds like it is but just double checking. Just trying to determaine why thats there

As long as they didnt hack up any wires too bad when they put it in it shouldnt mean anything for your install. You can take it out if you want becasue you wont need it.

Last edited by 05PRMTX; 12/17/12 at 12:34 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is PAC Radio Replacement required?