05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

My fix for the Skipper1000

Search this Thread

Old 8/13/05, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in the middle of yanking out my Shaker 500 to put in the pioneer. I got my wiring stuff from Crutchfield before seeing your part numbers but they sound exactly the same.

The second sub/amp connector has two wires coming off to turn on/off amplifiers. Did you hook those to anything or did you rip out the stock speakers?

What about that third connector with a few wires coming out of it, what was that for?
Old 8/13/05, 03:50 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Trekkie+August 13, 2005, 11:20 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Trekkie @ August 13, 2005, 11:20 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>The second sub/amp connector has two wires coming off to turn on/off amplifiers. Did you hook those to anything or did you rip out the stock speakers?
[/b]

Wow, my choices were either hook up the amps or rip out the speakers? Yes, you need to hook the amp on trigger wires to the amp on signal wire coming from your head unit. Just make sure your head unit supplies proper voltage or you are going to get popping when the amps come on. Look back a page or two in this thread and you will see how to fix that.

<!--QuoteBegin-Trekkie
@August 13, 2005, 11:20 AM
What about that third connector with a few wires coming out of it, what was that for?
[/quote]
Couldn't tell ya. My guess is they were for light dimming and possibly volume up with speed. Reason I say light dimming is because all of the schmatics floating around claiming to be skipper1000 diagrams show pin 14 ( I think that is what it was ) as your illumination control wire, and you will notice that pin 14 doesn't have wiring on the factory plug.
Old 8/13/05, 06:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Okay I read thru all all of this and I have a few questions. I have the 1000 now and I have upgraded all the full range speakers. Problem is I still didn't get the midrange(vocals )I was looking for, so I'm considering a head unit swap. I feel a EQ would be all I need so a good head unit ought to do the trick.

My questions are will I have to rewire the full range speakers to work off the head unit and if so is it behind the radio or will I being running wires to the doors and trunk? As far as the subs go it looks like its plug and play by this topic and all I need is the part from Radio Shack and no pop, correct?

Thanks up front
Mike
Old 8/28/05, 03:24 PM

what rear cam did you use?

model # ?
Old 8/28/05, 06:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

I got my camera from ebay for $27 with shipping and everything. Just use the search and type "color 12v reverse image camera"

I love mine. Easy install, took about 20 minutes
Old 8/28/05, 08:34 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by mbkowns@August 28, 2005, 3:27 PM
what rear cam did you use?

model # ?

Because of how I wanted to mount it, and how little of it I wanted showing, I had to do a little searching for the exact camera that I used. Looked at several on fleabay and all of them were a couple of mm larger than the lock hole. And I did not want to file it out in case I ever put the trunk lock back in ( which I doubt will ever happen ). I wanted one that would slide perfectly in to the lock hole. And this one worked great. The lens cover is tapered so you can actually adjust the angle of the camera without worrying about there being any kind of visible gap.
Here is the exact camera I used Link to the camera on Fry's online store
Camera was $139. It was in an OEM style plain white box with no brand name on it. The base unscrews from it, and you can use just the camera itself. Nice piece, made from metal. Completely water proof. And yes, it is priced a little high. But like I said back on the first page, I got a break from the cashieer.
Old 8/28/05, 08:36 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by JST4FN@August 13, 2005, 7:01 PM
Okay I read thru all all of this and I have a few questions. I have the 1000 now and I have upgraded all the full range speakers. Problem is I still didn't get the midrange(vocals )I was looking for, so I'm considering a head unit swap. I feel a EQ would be all I need so a good head unit ought to do the trick.

My questions are will I have to rewire the full range speakers to work off the head unit and if so is it behind the radio or will I being running wires to the doors and trunk? As far as the subs go it looks like its plug and play by this topic and all I need is the part from Radio Shack and no pop, correct?

Thanks up front
Mike
If you replace the head unit, just get the adaptor harness and there will be no need to rewire anything.
Old 8/29/05, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by DozerzPony@August 28, 2005, 6:20 PM
I got my camera from ebay for $27 with shipping and everything. Just use the search and type "color 12v reverse image camera"

I love mine. Easy install, took about 20 minutes

Is this the one you bought? LINK

If not can you send me the auction which you bought yours from ?

Thanks hawgman you got lucky with the cashier I don't want to drive a hour and a half away to get unlucky lol though I do believe fry's carries the same above camera. Maybe I will
Old 8/31/05, 06:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by hawgman@August 28, 2005, 9:39 PM
If you replace the head unit, just get the adaptor harness and there will be no need to rewire anything.
Awesome !! What harness do I need or is it listed in this thread somewhere?

Thanks Mike
Old 8/31/05, 07:59 AM
V6 Member

Here is the one Crutchfield recommends for the 2005+ Mustang:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-NUv0HC449Ji/c...asp?i=120705521
Old 8/31/05, 11:17 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by JST4FN@August 31, 2005, 6:23 AM
Awesome !! What harness do I need or is it listed in this thread somewhere?

Thanks Mike
Yup, got the part number back on the first page.
It is made by Metra, and the part number is 70-5521.
Tons of places selling them came up on google
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navc...Metra+70%2D5521

I bought mine from a local car audio shop for $15
Old 8/31/05, 11:18 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by mbkowns@August 29, 2005, 2:33 PM
Is this the one you bought? LINK

If not can you send me the auction which you bought yours from ?

Thanks hawgman you got lucky with the cashier I don't want to drive a hour and a half away to get unlucky lol though I do believe fry's carries the same above camera. Maybe I will
Just make sure that whatever one you get is weatherproof. ALOT of the cheap cameras on fleabay are not weatherproof.
Old 8/31/05, 11:19 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Caleb@August 31, 2005, 8:02 AM
Here is the one Crutchfield recommends for the 2005+ Mustang:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-NUv0HC449Ji/c...asp?i=120705521
Looks just like the one I used. Probably same manufacturer's part number.
Old 8/31/05, 04:35 PM
GT Member

I also have the DDX-7015, which is a great unit by the way. How did you wire the camera input? I understand that you powered the camera with the back-up lights, but I was wondering which RCA jack was used for the camera input. Does the screen automatically switch to the rear view camera as soon as the camera receives power, hence providing a usable RCA signal? If I remeber correctly, the DDX-7015 has two sets up RCA inputs.

Can you please post pics of the bracket for the camera?

Also for you ipod owners with this head unit, you may want to use the Kenwood Ip-500 ipod interface adapter, as it gets rid of all the bulky RF adapters and eliminates having to use an open fm station for rebroadcast, which results in poor sound quality during playback.
Old 9/1/05, 12:42 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by TK421@August 31, 2005, 4:38 PM
I also have the DDX-7015, which is a great unit by the way. How did you wire the camera input? I understand that you powered the camera with the back-up lights, but I was wondering which RCA jack was used for the camera input. Does the screen automatically switch to the rear view camera as soon as the camera receives power, hence providing a usable RCA signal? If I remeber correctly, the DDX-7015 has two sets up RCA inputs.

Can you please post pics of the bracket for the camera?

Also for you ipod owners with this head unit, you may want to use the Kenwood Ip-500 ipod interface adapter, as it gets rid of all the bulky RF adapters and eliminates having to use an open fm station for rebroadcast, which results in poor sound quality during playback.
It does have two RCA jacks. One is video in, the other is video out. Just took the video out from the camera to the video in on the head unit. In the setup of the head unit I configured video in for "auto". So when the camera powers up from the reverse lights coming on, it will automatically switch to that input signal. When the camara powers off it goes back to what it was on prior to the camera signal coming on.

The bracket is pretty crude. Like I said, I just cut a piece of flashing, bent it into a "U" shape, and used the existing bolt holes for the trunk lock. The camera had a threaded hole in the end of it where a swivel mount attached to it with a thumb screw. I drilled a hole in the bracket and used the thumb screw from the swivel mount. It serves it purpose even though it isn't pretty. But I didn't really care since it is all covered up anyway.

[attachmentid=32429]
Old 9/1/05, 08:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

EBAY LINK

Try this one...different seller but same exact camera. All you need to install is a 1" hole saw bit and a 2 or 3" by 5" piece of sheet metal. I used the existing foam ring from the lock tumbler to put between the camera and the trunk.

No bending of metal or nothing. Drill the 1" hole in the dead center and drill a hole for each mounting bolt that came with the tumbler. The camera face will come within 1/16" of the trunk. Good luck
Old 11/18/05, 11:41 AM
GT Member

I don't have the shaker 500 or 1000, and I am going to replace the factory radio w/ aftermarket.
Does anyone know what harness to use?

Metra 70-5521????
Old 11/18/05, 12:24 PM

i got one from crutchfield.com ... let me search my email ....

Item #120705520

Item: Ford Wire Harness receiver, 2003-up

check out my car computer lol
Old 11/19/05, 09:21 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by BillR@November 18, 2005, 12:44 PM
I don't have the shaker 500 or 1000, and I am going to replace the factory radio w/ aftermarket.
Does anyone know what harness to use?

Metra 70-5521????
Yes, that is the correct Metra part number for the harness. It is the exact same harness that Crutchfields sells. Should be able to pick it up at any local car audio store for around $15.
Old 11/21/05, 04:11 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I have a question concerning the back-up camera installation...if you install the back-up camera in the removed trunk lock spot, would the Active Anti-Theft System still work correctly (trunk locked confirmation)? :scratch:

Quick Reply: My fix for the Skipper1000