05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

My fix for the Skipper1000

Search this Thread

Old 5/26/05, 08:12 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Mxyzptlk@May 26, 2005, 8:00 PM
Crutchfield told me it would be there and I would have to put in some line level things. I didn't really listen too well something about 5V v/s 12 V. I'll have to call them back.
OK.....I never said I was an expert on this kinda thing, but what do we do with this once we have it????? Thanks for the info BTW.......saved me a call tomorrow.
Old 5/27/05, 12:52 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Angry Irishman@May 26, 2005, 7:43 PM
What does the Kenwood do when power is off. Does it flip around and show a blank back like there is nothing installed in car or does the screen stay visable? I have a kenwwood in my beater car that flips all the way around so when you walk buy it looks like a factory face plate with now stereo installed.

Awsome install by the way,
No, it does not flip around. I have seen single DIN units that do that, and I am sure that there are double DIN units that do it, this one does not.
Old 5/27/05, 12:57 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Axslynger+May 26, 2005, 8:15 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Axslynger @ May 26, 2005, 8:15 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>OK.....I never said I was an expert on this kinda thing, but what do we do with this once we have it????? Thanks for the info BTW.......saved me a call tomorrow.
[/b]

With this package style transistor, you will have three legs.One leg will be marked base, one leg marked collector ( also the metal backing might be marked collector) and one leg marked emitter. Your base leg will be input voltage, the collector will be ground ( or in some cases neutral ) and the emitter will be output voltage. So that means take the amp on lead from the head unit and put it to base, run ground to the collector, and your blue/white lead to the wiring harness will be connected to the emitter leg.

How many and what type remote "on" leads do you have coming from your head unit? For instance, the Kenwood I put in mine actually has three different wires that could be used as remote on for an amp. The power antenna lead, a power control lead, and an external amp control lead. If yours has multiple ones, you might measure the voltages of them to see if one is 5v instead of 12v.

<!--QuoteBegin-Mxyzptlk

They weren't really up to speed on the fact that the harness has 2 remote power leads though. And said that they do not have any data for people with Shaker 1000.
[/quote]

What a shock....

There are two remote power leads because there are two input leads. One for each bass amp. Like I said earlier, if you only have one amp, and one set of woofers, then only use one lead. You just have to make sure you use the correct power lead for the corrosponding RCA jack.
Old 5/27/05, 06:24 PM
Cobra Member

Dude, that's sheer genius!

You can mod my car anytime.
Old 5/28/05, 07:05 AM
Cobra Member

You shouldn't use the "power antenna" leads anymore. Most of them only pass current when you have the radio on (hence needing an antenna). When you switch to a different source, it turns off that lead. If you have a lead specifically marked for amplifier turn-on, use that. Oh, They are all a nominal 12v. Only Ford's proprietary amps use the 8v turn-on signal.
Old 5/28/05, 04:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Awesome idea on the cam. I have the Kenwood in dash and will install my cam in the same place. Much better than placing a big black box in the window or outside the car. I N E V E R use the key to open my trunk or doors, mostly because I am afraid of scratching the paint, and it's easier, which fits my lazy preference. Thanks for sharing. Much props!
Old 6/20/05, 08:42 AM
Cobra Member

does the harness look like this pic guys?..I can't seem to find any other pic.This is from the Scosche website and it says for 03+ Ford Premium sound systems?

Originally posted by DozerzPony@May 28, 2005, 4:46 PM
Awesome idea on the cam. I have the Kenwood in dash and will install my cam in the same place. Much better than placing a big black box in the window or outside the car. I N E V E R use the key to open my trunk or doors, mostly because I am afraid of scratching the paint, and it's easier, which fits my lazy preference. Thanks for sharing. Much props!
Old 6/20/05, 10:27 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by subzero05@June 20, 2005, 8:45 AM
does the harness look like this pic guys?..I can't seem to find any other pic.This is from the Scosche website and it says for 03+ Ford Premium sound systems?
The one I used didn't look anything like that.
Old 6/20/05, 10:29 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Infinity@May 28, 2005, 7:08 AM
You shouldn't use the "power antenna" leads anymore. Most of them only pass current when you have the radio on (hence needing an antenna). When you switch to a different source, it turns off that lead. If you have a lead specifically marked for amplifier turn-on, use that. Oh, They are all a nominal 12v. Only Ford's proprietary amps use the 8v turn-on signal.
Completely agree. Only thing with my system (who knows, maybe all the Kenwoods) is the "amp control" lead, which was 5V would drop to less than 2V with both amps connected to it. So I actually had to find a 12V lead and use a fixed voltage regulator to get the proper voltage.
Old 6/20/05, 11:30 AM
Cobra Member

do you have a pic of the harness anywhere?..I can't seem to find one

thanks!
Old 6/20/05, 11:34 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by subzero05@June 20, 2005, 11:33 AM
do you have a pic of the harness anywhere?..I can't seem to find one

thanks!
Not pushing this perticular site, it is just what came up with a google search of the brand and part number of the harness
http://www.installer-data.com/item/display....php?it=70-5521
Old 6/20/05, 08:22 PM
Cobra Member

You the man!..That is what I was lookin' for.Hopefully my installer (stereo shop) will have a harness like that tomorrow when I drop the car off.
Old 6/21/05, 08:55 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by subzero05@June 20, 2005, 8:25 PM
You the man!..That is what I was lookin' for.Hopefully my installer (stereo shop) will have a harness like that tomorrow when I drop the car off.
The harness is a very common part. I have seen them even at Walmart. He shouldn't have any issues having one. The mounting plate for the stereo is a little different story. I had to go to a couple of places before I found the one I used.
Old 6/21/05, 01:20 PM
Cobra Member

Great...thank you..The car is at the shop now getting the work done so hopefully they will not call with any major hangups..
Old 6/21/05, 02:45 PM
Cobra Member

Good luck. I am sure it will be fine.
Old 6/22/05, 08:06 AM
Cobra Member

Audio is done on the car!..All speakers,subs etc work well and overall I am very pleased!.There is a slight "pop" when you turn the system on due to the voltage difference of the amps etc. but it is so brief i really don't notice it since the exhaust drowns it out anyway =) I will say though that since I installed the Clarion flip out dvd unit and everything is hooked up the front subs really POUND now!..Before you know they were on,but could not tell that much..NOW, you can feel the air being forced through the grilles on the car and really feel the bass hit.Thank for all the help hawgman
Old 6/22/05, 03:53 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by subzero05@June 22, 2005, 8:09 AM
I will say though that since I installed the Clarion flip out dvd unit and everything is hooked up the front subs really POUND now!..Before you know they were on,but could not tell that much..NOW, you can feel the air being forced through the grilles on the car and really feel the bass hit.
I noticed the exact same thing when I replaced my head unit. Thought it was just me!
No problem on the help. Glad I could assist. Glad everything turned out right.
I installed that voltage regulator on the power on line on my amps and have NO POP at all.
Old 6/23/05, 02:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Skipper 1000 By the way, nice job it looks great.
Old 6/23/05, 02:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by I8URVTEC@June 23, 2005, 2:05 PM
Skipper 1000 By the way, nice job it looks great.

I did my system with all Scosche harnesses, amps, and Scosche speakers, the Scosche 12inch sub box, all the wiring was also Scosche. So far no popping or anything, It works just as same as factory, when turning on and off. also the amps turn off when the radio is turned off or when your in the car and turn the key off and radio stays on until the door is open, radio and amps turn off at same time. I'm planning on changing out the shaker 500 in the future, But everything sounds great just the way it is. so far no problems.
Old 6/23/05, 06:12 PM
Cobra Member

scosche makes very nice stuff..The clarion headunit I installed I got from Trevor over a scosche..He worked a deal with me on some other stuff for one of their show trucks..hey, if you need anything from them in the future call Trevor over there and tell them chris from Banks sent you...

Quick Reply: My fix for the Skipper1000