05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Lorex Color Back-up Camera Install / Part 1 of 3

Search this Thread

Old 6/19/07, 07:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Lorex Color Back-up Camera Install / Part 1 of 3

Here's the pdf file I wrote up on the install of my Lorex color back-up camera model #SG4933R

This is part 1 of a 3 part series....

http://www.hagshouse.com/My%20Mustan...p%20Camera.pdf

Thanks again to hawgman for the idea....

I hope it helps.....

hags1
Old 6/26/07, 01:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
How's the camera working out so far?

If I get this, I was thinking about wiring the 'reverse' wire off the Alpine to a toggle. That way, I can flip the camera on at will.

So I wonder if I splice both the Alpine reverse wire and the 12V off the camera to a 12V source through a toggle, it'll work like I think?

Here's the reverse wire info from the manual...

Reverse Lead (Orange/White)
Use only when a back-up camera is connected. Connect to
the plus side of the car’s reverse lamp that lights when the
transmission is shifted into reverse (R).
Switches the video picture to the back-up camera. This is
linked with putting the car into reverse (R).
Old 6/26/07, 01:36 PM

another question(s)...

From the pics in your write-up, it appears that the electrical plug from the lock mechanism is now disconnected. What was that for?

And what was the end cap/cable on the end that was also pulled off? Was that for the anti-carjack release?

(one more.. )
I can only assume that the way you pop open the trunk now is thru the key fob?
Old 6/26/07, 08:24 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How will anyone ever get caught up at the pace you are going here, well done Bill.
Old 6/26/07, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by ShowGT
How will anyone ever get caught up at the pace you are going here, well done Bill.
Hey, I'm trying to keep up with hags1!
Old 6/26/07, 10:18 PM
Bullitt Member

what was the total damage $$$ of your purchase?
head unit
camera
speakers etc??
Old 6/27/07, 06:01 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by ShowGT
Dont worry... His last name isn't Jones!
Old 6/27/07, 06:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Great install. I have a backup camera that is mounted the licence plat but it looks like crap.

I'm curious about how you open the trunk too.
Old 6/27/07, 12:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
How's the camera working out so far?

If I get this, I was thinking about wiring the 'reverse' wire off the Alpine to a toggle. That way, I can flip the camera on at will.

So I wonder if I splice both the Alpine reverse wire and the 12V off the camera to a 12V source through a toggle, it'll work like I think?

Here's the reverse wire info from the manual...

Reverse Lead (Orange/White)
Use only when a back-up camera is connected. Connect to
the plus side of the car’s reverse lamp that lights when the
transmission is shifted into reverse (R).
Switches the video picture to the back-up camera. This is

linked with putting the car into reverse (R).

Camera works great....If you get the exact same camera you won't believe the night video...the low lux rating of this camera really provides great footage at night....

Your wiring idea sounds cool.....The reverse wire (orange/white wire on your unit) goes from 0V to 12V when your car is shifted into reverse. So if you found a 12V source and used the toggle switch you basically would be doing the same thing when you turned the switch on, thus the head unit would think you shifted into reverse and it would display the reverse camera's footage. I'd find a switched 12V source so the line is 0V when the car is off and 12V when the car is running or the key is turned. There's no such source in the trunk wiring, I checked all the wires back there. There's some 12V constant source back there, but none of the lines had 12V switched. There are bigger wire bundles under the back seat, or you may be able to find a 12V switched source behind the dash. You would need the same power to the camera then also so when you flip the toggle switch the camera has power as well.

I may actually set mine up this way too....every once in awhile, when I look in my rear view mirror, it seems likie the guy behind me is right on my ****....I'm not sure if he is, or if it's just that it's tough to see out the back of these cars...I'd love to flip on the camera and see how close he really is.

hags1
Old 6/27/07, 12:37 PM
Bullitt Member

From the pics in your write-up, it appears that the electrical plug from the lock mechanism is now disconnected. What was that for?

And what was the end cap/cable on the end that was also pulled off? Was that for the anti-carjack release?

(one more.. )
I can only assume that the way you pop open the trunk now is thru the key fob?
Without a wiring diagram, I'd have to guess that the wiring on the lock mechanism is there to diasarm the car alarm if you use the actual key to open your trunk. I bet if the lock is tampered with and the switch isn't closed or opened as it should be by the proper key, the alarm will sound once the lock mechanism is opened. Without the lock mechanism now, the wiring is obsolete.

I don't know what that end cap cable is for, I'll have to do more research on that.....The manual release in the trunk still works, so it's not for that...not sure if that's what you mean by 'anti-carjack release'

You are correct on the key fob....I never use my keys to unlock the car or the trunk....I always use my key fob....keys and a black car don't mix....too easy to scratch the paint using the actual keys......the key fob works as it always did....

hags1
Old 6/27/07, 12:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Hey, I'm trying to keep up with hags1!
Your still ahead of me Bill....I have a bunch of your installs printed out, but I still haven't done them yet.....thanks again for the great write ups.

hags1
Old 6/27/07, 12:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Sharky
what was the total damage $$$ of your purchase?
head unit
camera
speakers etc??
I picked up the head unit brand new off of ebay for $995...they are $1399 at Crutchfield....
The camera was brand new for $106 off ebay also...
The speakers were $80 a pair from Crutchfield.....they were a little cheaper on ebay, but not much....and I wanted the OE wiring harnesses, so I bought them direct from Crutchfield.
The I-pod adapter and Sirius sat. adapter are from Crutchfield also and cost $28 and $100 respectfully.
The Metra wiring harness was $20 and the mounting kit was $15, both of those I got from Crutchfield also....no real bargains on ebay for that stuff.
The 8 meter video cable and 4 port USB hub I purchased at showmecables.com....the total for those two items was $36.35
The regulator is like $2 from Radio Shack and the refurbished 80 GB I-pod from apple with a two year warranty was $356.....

All together I have a little over $1800 in the system with $356 of that for a new, or refurb. I-pod....

hags1
Old 6/27/07, 01:07 PM

Thanks Hags.

I may hold off on my install until I get the camera (same one as yours) and that video bypass device. That way I can wire it all at once and not have to keep pulling the deck to add this or that.
I may even consider pre-wiring the NAV antenna for the Blackbird II when it comes out later this Summer.

And yes, that's the trunk lever I was referring to.
Old 6/27/07, 10:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the info...
I have a B'day coming up and it's time to start bugging the wife.
Old 6/30/07, 03:33 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm looking to get this camera too but when I search for the part number you listed "SG4933R" the picture of the camera that shows up looks different? check link http://www.dogbytecomputer.com/xcart...era_Color.html

is this the same camera? Hags maybe you can remember what the sellers name was on ebay?
Old 6/30/07, 08:21 PM
V6 Member

What about an image with the backup guidence lines? Does anyone make an aftermarket camera like that?
Old 7/1/07, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Chip
is this the same camera? Hags maybe you can remember what the sellers name was on ebay?
I hope to pick one up today from a local retailer. If I do, I'll see how the outer case looks like. I'm pretty sure it'll look like hags. Appears like most everyone uses the same file photo (ebay incl).

Originally Posted by gmichaelj1
What about an image with the backup guidence lines? Does anyone make an aftermarket camera like that?
That sounds expensive.
Old 7/1/07, 07:52 PM
V6 Member

I hope to pick one up today from a local retailer. If I do, I'll see how the outer case looks like. I'm pretty sure it'll look like hags. Appears like most everyone uses the same file photo (ebay incl).

That sounds expensive.
Perhaps, but have you ridden in a car with one? I'd say it increases the reason for having it (if you can tell where you're going by the turn of your wheel)
Old 7/1/07, 11:06 PM

No luck, out of stock.

Looks like ebay's my next and only option.
Old 7/2/07, 09:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Chip
I'm looking to get this camera too but when I search for the part number you listed "SG4933R" the picture of the camera that shows up looks different? check link http://www.dogbytecomputer.com/xcart...era_Color.html

Looks to me like the top cover is unscrewed from the camera itself?? Not sure why they would picture it that way??....I agree with Taco Bill, most of the pictures I find of that camera are identical....everyone is using the same one....I can double, triple check my manual and make sure the SG4933R is what I have.....that's the number that's on the invoice and packing lists...

Just an fyi, if you don't like to buy from Ebay.....B & H sells the SG4933R and I've bought from them before....they're good guys....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ist&sku=363758

hags1

Quick Reply: Lorex Color Back-up Camera Install / Part 1 of 3