05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

LED light replacements

Search this Thread

Old 11/17/10, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LED light replacements

Hi

I'd like to upgrade to LED lights in my 2008 Shelby GT500. The lights I'd like to upgrade are the map/dome lights, reverse/back-up lights, license plate lights and trunk light. Does anyone know what type/code LED I need for these? Any suggested vendors? Will I need a resistor for the reverse lights to ensure they won't stay lit? I saw a thread where someone listed all these but for 2010 Mustang and I wasn't sure if they would be the same for a 2008 Mustang.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Old 11/18/10, 10:13 AM
Bullitt Member

I bought my LED dome lights and license plate lights from stangmods, pretty cheap and they have the writeups on the site. Not sure about the reverse or trunk lights though.

Last edited by 1QIKPNY; 11/18/10 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11/18/10, 12:50 PM
Cobra Member

http://www.venomousstangz.net/index....dex&cPath=6_96
Old 11/19/10, 01:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

as far as the trunk light goes, i forget what number it is. however, i do suggest that you also install a light strip in the rear of the trunk. it will really help to illuminate the back half of the trunk.

i also put something like them in my footwell area and they come on with the interior lights or when the doors are opened. really goes well with the LED map lights.

not these exact ones, but i used something like this for the footwell: http://cgi.ebay.com/120CM-60X-White-...item45f6d8cb30

and i used something like this for the rear trunk (you cut off the 12v adapter portion):
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEON-CAR-LIGHT-B...item43989b6c35
Old 11/19/10, 01:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

oh, here are some of the bulb types needed:

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...RG-Results.htm
Old 11/19/10, 08:10 PM

Hi guys! Thanks for the help. I'm checking out the Venomous Stang stuff now...might cost a bit more but take the guess work out and be easier for me. I like the idea of blue colored LEDs for inside and the trunk...maybe the plates too. But for inside the blues I've seen look really dark. Very cool but doesn't look like you could see much like read a map :-) Anyone have first hand experience?

I like the idea of the extra light stip in the trunk....

Thanks!
Old 11/19/10, 09:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

oh also this is the instructions i used as a guide to install the light bars in the trunk... although, i didn't use an inverter.

http://www.gtconcepts.net/mustang/in...05TL/index.htm
Old 11/19/10, 10:50 PM
V6 Member

I plan on doing the light strips (in blue) in the back half of the trunk sometime soon. So if I installed them before you did, I will post some pictures.
Old 11/22/10, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by MKE2007GT
Hi guys! Thanks for the help. I'm checking out the Venomous Stang stuff now...might cost a bit more but take the guess work out and be easier for me. I like the idea of blue colored LEDs for inside and the trunk...maybe the plates too. But for inside the blues I've seen look really dark. Very cool but doesn't look like you could see much like read a map :-) Anyone have first hand experience?

I like the idea of the extra light stip in the trunk....

Thanks!

Yeah I ordered the blue LED's on accident and installed them. I couldn't stand the blue light but I left them in until my white ones came in the mail. Reading was not a problem in the blue light but as soon as my white bulbs came in I threw those blue ones in the trash. I also replaced the license plate light and if you want I can post some pictures later today. I went through HID Guy for the lights and I was happy with the transaction.

http://www.hidguy.net/index.php?main...06_707_770_773
Old 11/24/10, 02:23 PM

Hey guys

Is the trunk light bar LED? What does the inverter do? Why didn't you install it?

Ok so I bought the reverse lights, dome lights, trunk light and license light from VenomousStangz and it arrived today. I put in the trunk and dome LEDs and had some issues.

1. The trunk LED is much small than the stock light. I mean where the metal end parts snap into the light bulb holder...the LED just slid out. I bent the holder prongs a bit so now it stays but one good bump and it could come out. I bought the 05-09 LED...

2. The dome lights fit fine but won't turn off. I see the same problem with the trunk LED. I'm not talking about a slight dim...the LEDs are on full glow and won't turn off. The map light buttons do nothing....just constant on.

I will try to install the remaining LEDs now...
Any ideas?
Thanks!
Old 11/24/10, 07:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

i didn't buy my LEDs from venomous so i don't know about the fit problem and them not going off.

i got mine from v-leds off of ebay and they were fine. it doesn't make sense that it wouldn't turn off though.

not to insult you, but is your interior light switch by the headlight lamp **** turned on? if it is, then the maps won't turn off with the buttons.

the trunk "neon" bar i bought is not LED. it is fluorescent. i didn't realize that at the time of purchase, but it is no big deal to me. still lights up that same "hyper" white color.

i did not put the inverter because mine didn't come with one. not sure what it is supposed to do. those instructions were specific for the kit that company was selling. i just used it to get an idea of which wires to tap into.

mine came with a 12 v adapter (cigarette lighter plug) stuck to it. i cut that part off and stripped the ends of the wires and tapped into the wires in the instructions.

the stock trunk light, i changed to a panel-type led. i think it was like 48 LEDS on a flat board. i ended up taping that to the inside of the plastic light window.
Old 11/24/10, 07:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

oh... i think i know why i didn't have a problem with the fitment of my trunk oem location light. i wasn't sure of the bulb type, so i found a universal fit one. i just checked v-leds and they no longer sell the ones i bought. also, i got the 30 LED not 48. the dimensions of the 48 one was too big. the 30 was a bit small, but was the largest i could find to fit. anyways, the one i got is the one that is in the upper right hand corner. also, it is the one in third row, second column.

http://www.intecracing.com/DomelightLEDPricelist.htm

(just in case you were interested)

in any case, maybe you could remove the bulb, pinch the prongs tighter than what you did previously and then try putting the bulb in again. that may work.
Old 11/25/10, 08:51 AM

Hey

LMAO! Good thing you insulted me...that was the problem. I must have bumped that to on cuz I didn't even realize the light dimmer had that "feature" Wow I'm an idiot. All good now though.

License and reverse LEDs went in without a problem and fitment was good.

So I guess the only issue with these LEDs is the one for the trunk that is too small....maybe I'll rig somthing up to keep it in there...contacts seem fine as long as it doesn't move. I can't seem to pinch the prongs any tighter and the LED doesn't have a big enough diameter but also is too short. I will figure something out.

Thanks for all the info on the light bars. I kinda wanted to keep them all LED but I don't know much about the florescent. Any advantage? As long as it looks similar, I guess who's gonna know? Good chance I will go with the one in the link you provided.

Thanks again for all the help! Happy turkey day!
Old 11/25/10, 10:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

glad to have been able to help.

as far as the light bar. you can't tell the difference. it lights up right away. there are no dark areas in my trunk at all. you can't see them unless you stick your head in the trunk and look up. i would imagine that the LED will last longer, but since it is only a trunk light, it isn't on very much and it should last for many, many years.

still.... technically the LEDs strip probably would be better. it should last longer, and if you buy a long enough strip, you can run itall over the place to really light up the trunk to the point of overkill if you want.
Old 11/29/10, 06:57 AM

Hey guys

I decided to go with the LED access kit from Venomous Stangz for the back of my trunk. They had a Black Friday deal so I couldn't resist.

http://www.venomousstangz.net/index....roducts_id=138

I will post some pics after I get it installed.
Thanks!
Old 11/30/10, 03:09 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by MKE2007GT
Hey guys

I decided to go with the LED access kit from Venomous Stangz for the back of my trunk. They had a Black Friday deal so I couldn't resist.

http://www.venomousstangz.net/index....roducts_id=138

I will post some pics after I get it installed.
Thanks!
I will be waiting for the pics.
Old 12/1/10, 05:21 PM
GT Member

Venomous stangz is our sister site. We are having a cyber monday sale that ends tonight at 12 tonight. its 10% off all orders. so you can stock up all on those LEDS.