05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Kenwood DDX-7017 Install Complete

Search this Thread

Old 2/13/07, 05:57 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1SG
I got 2 today, but that's ok, I have got a lot of help from the forum and I don't mind giving some back.
That's mostly why I come in here during winter months. I really don't do much car-related stuff when it's cold. Come Spring, I'll be post-whoring again. Oh yeah, and showing my door-sub build
Old 2/13/07, 10:41 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Infinity
You could do like me- show up every month or so to answer all the PM's, then bail out.

Yea, I know... It's your fault they come to me now. That was why I was passing it along to 1SG!!
Old 2/15/07, 04:43 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a little off topic but a Kenwood DDX-7017 nonetheless...

I installed mine about a year ago (thanks to Hawgman and others) and every now and then the Kenwood DDX-7017 has trouble ejecting a DVD disc. I have to stick a credit card in the slot to get it out.

Anyone else having this kind of problem?
Old 2/15/07, 08:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by camposl69
I installed mine about a year ago (thanks to Hawgman and others) and every now and then the Kenwood DDX-7017 has trouble ejecting a DVD disc. I have to stick a credit card in the slot to get it out.

Anyone else having this kind of problem?

none so far
Old 2/17/07, 09:32 AM
Bullitt Member

i just have to say that that is an awesome place for the camera... i was reading that you had the rear cam.. then i was thinking to myself- where could he have put it where it didn't look like A$$.. then i scrolled down and i was like its just the gt embl.. wait- theres the camera! awesome.... so- i just felt like saying that it was cool
Old 2/17/07, 10:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks, but I can't take credit for the idea. I think Hawgman was the first to put it there.
Old 2/17/07, 10:40 AM
Bullitt Member

well kudos to hawgman... i would have never come up with that idea....
Old 2/17/07, 07:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by TinPony2
Is that the camera lens in the keyhole?????... u got pics of the inside??
Sorry it took so long to get the inside pics.

Here are a couple of the U shaped bracket I made from an old license plate.

Attachment 19790

Attachment 19791

Here is the camera mounted in the hole for the lock. I took off the camera cap and inserted the camera in the hole and put the cap on from the outside of the hole. I put some silicone between them to help with sealing. I also had to get an O-ring to go inside the cap to keep the clear lense in place since there was a gap because of the thickness of the trunk.
Attachment 19792

Here is the camera with the U shaped bracket.

Attachment 19793

Attachment 19794
Attached Thumbnails Kenwood DDX-7017 Install Complete-camera1.jpg   Kenwood DDX-7017 Install Complete-camera2.jpg   Kenwood DDX-7017 Install Complete-camera3.jpg   Kenwood DDX-7017 Install Complete-camera4.jpg   Kenwood DDX-7017 Install Complete-camera5.jpg  

Old 2/17/07, 10:17 PM
Bullitt Member

perfection
Old 2/20/07, 03:57 AM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i love this setup!
i have a Garmin StreetPilot 2820 mounted on the center of my dash, and the shaker 500, with a rockford fosgate amp and punch stage 3 sub in the trunk..
i'm missing an equalizer with the shaker, and the StreetPilot is taking up much space on the dash, where i could otherwise out up a shelby style gauge pod for my upcoming SC.

in any case, your setup grabbed my attention due to the mere fact that the navigation unit runs Garmin Software!
does that mean you can use Garmin's mapsource and POI Loader (to load custom POIs like speed cameras and the like)?
if so.. how do you hook it up to your PC to update the maps?
does it get the maps off Garmin's City Navigator DVDs?
Old 2/20/07, 07:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by G.T
i love this setup!
i have a Garmin StreetPilot 2820 mounted on the center of my dash, and the shaker 500, with a rockford fosgate amp and punch stage 3 sub in the trunk..
i'm missing an equalizer with the shaker, and the StreetPilot is taking up much space on the dash, where i could otherwise out up a shelby style gauge pod for my upcoming SC.

in any case, your setup grabbed my attention due to the mere fact that the navigation unit runs Garmin Software!
does that mean you can use Garmin's mapsource and POI Loader (to load custom POIs like speed cameras and the like)?
if so.. how do you hook it up to your PC to update the maps?
does it get the maps off Garmin's City Navigator DVDs?
Sent you a PM. The Users manual is too big to attach but you can download it here.

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/support/si...px?men=2&M2=69
Old 2/20/07, 08:01 AM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

great! thanks 1SG
i think the 520/420 is for me, as i like the Tracking feature which is otherwise not available in the 510/410
Old 2/21/07, 07:52 AM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Question comes to mind 1SG.
Did the harness you used have RCA plugs on one side, or you had to cut and splice that to wire it to the new head unit?

furthermore, could you please elaborate how you hooked up the factory speakers, amps and door subs?
any additional adapters, etc?

i'd appreciate a fast response, as i'm hoping i could get the needed stuff and work on this over the weekend (which in my case is Friday/Saturday)
Old 2/21/07, 08:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by G.T
Question comes to mind 1SG.
Did the harness you used have RCA plugs on one side, or you had to cut and splice that to wire it to the new head unit?

furthermore, could you please elaborate how you hooked up the factory speakers, amps and door subs?
any additional adapters, etc?

i'd appreciate a fast response, as i'm hoping i could get the needed stuff and work on this over the weekend (which in my case is Friday/Saturday)
Yes, the Metra Harness 70-5521 http://www.installer-data.com/item/d...php?it=70-5521 has RCA Plugs. One of the 2 blue with white stripes on the harness with the RCA plugs connects to the blue and white wire coming from the HU labeled P.Cont. Only one of these 2 wires work with the Shaker 500, You will have to try them both and use the one that makes the subs work. You need to put a 12v to 5v voltage regulator at this connection because the HU provides 12v and the subs require only 5v. If you don't use the voltage regulator your subs will pop loudly every time you turn your system on. The easiest way is to wire everything up except the blue/white wire from the RCA harness first then try each wire from the RCA harness against the P CONT wire from the HU and the one that make the pop noise is the right one, then put the voltage regulator between them and your done. If it still pops after you connect the voltage regulator then you have the regulator wired backwards, i did this and had to re-wire it. http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search
This will power your subs. Connect the white RCA plug with a Y splitter to the Red and white rca plugs coming from the HU labeled Sub Woofer. The speaker wires on the metra harness are all marked as are the speaker wires on the HU. Just match them up and your good to go.

Hope this helps,
Kirby
Old 2/21/07, 09:40 AM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

bookmarked, pending delivery of my metra harness
thanks 1SG!
Old 2/21/07, 09:43 AM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

btw.. apart from the subwoofers pop.. is there any harm if i didn't install the voltage regulator immediately?
Old 2/21/07, 09:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by G.T
btw.. apart from the subwoofers pop.. is there any harm if i didn't install the voltage regulator immediately?
I'm not sure. It doesn't sound good, not sure if it will do any harm.
Old 2/21/07, 07:45 PM
Cobra Member

It COULD theoretically blow the door subs due to over excursion (the voice coil jumping out of the gap), but I've never seen any proof of that happening. I ran mine with the pop for about 3 months until I put my Aura amps on the doors. A LOT of difference, but they still need more power. I'm giving them a true 60rms, I'll try 100 when the weather warms enough for me to change things.
Old 2/26/07, 11:44 PM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 1SG
One thing I like about it in addition to being able to put 4GB's worth of MP3's on a DVD you can also put some JPEG's on it and play a slide show or pause it on one picture and display it while you listen to the radio or sirius.

Attachment 18723
i checked out a few double din units at Kenwood yesterday, and noticed one thing they all had in common..
the interface was ugly!
the user interface was a grainy green, blue and purple.. kinda like running windows 95 without display drivers, on 16 colors :S

i was seriously let down by the display.. although it was pretty crisp and clear with the nav module plugged in, or even while playing a DVD.. making me believe that it's the software itself that was crap.

finally, i put on some music, and couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get spectrum/equalizer bars.. all i had was a solid blue display with a few purple/green soft keys.

i love the unit's features and sound quality.. i just hate how the interface looks!
what do you think about it having had it for sometime now?
Old 2/27/07, 04:20 AM
Bullitt Member

I pretty much just leave the Nav screen on all the time while I'm listening to Sirius. I agree with you about the interface but I'm not a big audiofile so as long as it sounds decent I'm ok. I think is does sound much better than the Shaker 500.

Quick Reply: Kenwood DDX-7017 Install Complete