05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Kensington Digital FM Transmitter/Auto Charger

Search this Thread

Old 7/2/06, 09:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Kensington Digital FM Transmitter/Auto Charger

Back when I still had my cougar, I used a very simple method of connecting my iPod to the car stereo: I had an aux input adapter for my Pioneer Headunit. Now, since the mustang is my brand new car, and I haven't saved up any money yet for any exciting new mods, like cool headunits and aux input adapters, I had to explore other routes to get my iPod into the car.

"Why, ov3n!" You may exclaim. "If you want to get it into the car, you would simply carry it in with you!"

While technically true, that solution would honestly do me no good. It would do you no good. It would do us, as a collective entity, no good.

About one year ago, I purchased an ExtremeMac Airplay FM Transmitter so I could listen to my iPod when I would drive my mom's explorer. Let me tell you, this device really left a sour taste in my mouth about FM Transmitting. Hisses and hums galore. On pretty much every frequency. Was it my iPod that was the culprit? Was it the transmitter? It turns out that many people had a problem with this particular transmitter. They were just an overall crummy part.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago. I thought to myself, "Sir, wouldn't we like to yet again use our iPod in our motoring activities?"

So, onto the internets we went, searching for a new, better FM Transmitter. Since everyone knows (or should know) that iLounge is the best website around for any information you could ever want regarding the iPod or iPod accessories, it led me to discover the Kensington Digital FM Transmitter/Auto Charger.

As excited as an 8 year old on christmas, I hopped over to buy.com and ordered one for a little over $50. It arrived two days later and I excitedly went out to the car to give it a try.

The verdict:

It is quite fantastic! I am using 87.9fm, which in Milwaukee seems to not be used. There are some faint signals my radio picks up, but they are easily overpowered by the Kensington transmitter. I would say audio quality with this is about as good as you're going to get with FM. Not exactly CD Quality, but good enough for $50 and not having to tear open the dash to add an Aux adapter. What's better, is that it even keeps the iPod charged!

Here are a few pictures. The ipod rests perfectly in the cupholder. I plugged the transmitter into the upper power outlet to get it as close to the car's antenna as possible, and I got the cord routed nicely around the radio and HVAC controls, so it interferes with the operation of nothing. Yay!

Additional (and larger) Pictures can be found here.

Yes, I know my iPod is super old.