05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

IUP auto shift bezel? Where to get it?

Search this Thread

Old 9/25/12, 12:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IUP auto shift bezel? Where to get it?

Hey guys, I was just looking around at some old posts and saw a piece that looks like the manual shifter/boot from a manual Mustang that just fits over the auto shifter? Anybody know where I can get one of these or if anyone still makes them?
Old 9/25/12, 09:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ive seen someone do that with a SN95 car. i dont think a ,manual trim ring will fit over a auto shifter on the s197, but ive got a ring i can try tonight when i get home. the uip boot comes on the trim ring, but the top of it for sure would not fit over the auto shifter.

i`m thinking you might have seen the machII auto shifter a guy was making a couple years ago, it looked just like a manual shifter. you had to press it down to shift it, his screen name was blk281gt on allformustangs, but from what ive heard he is not around anymore and the last phone number on his ad had no answer.

only other shifter for the auto is the tci
Old 9/25/12, 11:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

I saw it in the "Let's see your interiors" thread on this page. watchdevil posted this...

Originally Posted by watchdevil
This is the part number to order if you wanna cover the automatic shifter or do not have a Bullit with a manual transmission. Bullits have a narrower opening in the boot for a skinnier shift lever.

7R3Z-7277-BA

I ordered mine from one of our supporting vendors 05stangkc at clevparts@aol.com.

Another one of our supporting vendors http://www.partscheap.com/ can get it as well.
Old 9/25/12, 11:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mrp5150
I saw it in the "Let's see your interiors" thread on this page. watchdevil posted this...
i think i saw that post, not sure about making that work though.

on a different note, i still have the original evh 5150 head (unless your just referring to the call letters)

Last edited by amustangrocks; 9/25/12 at 11:24 AM.
Old 9/25/12, 11:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by amustangrocks
i think i saw that post, not sure about making that work though.

on a different note, i still have the original evh 5150 head
Haha, nice! I've owned a ton of amps over the years, but the 5150 has always been my favorite.
Old 9/25/12, 01:03 PM
Cobra Member

SHR makes these (scroll down the page for pictures): http://www.silverhorseracing.com/SHR...zel-05-09.html

I have the black anodized one for my car...
Old 9/25/12, 07:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Iceknyght
SHR makes these (scroll down the page for pictures): http://www.silverhorseracing.com/SHR...zel-05-09.html

I have the black anodized one for my car...
thats just a trim ring, although nice, hes looking at a shift boot application if i have this right? just tried the factory trim ring for the manual shift boot and it does fit around the auto shifter with enough room for a shift boot. i have the tci but its the same size as the oem shifter

my idea and what we might be able to do is make a shift boot with a big enough hole in the top to fit over the t handle of the auto shifter and velcro on the frt side facing the dash that would wrap around the square under the handle and secure good. the uip trim would fit the same i think, but i dont have one to try, and buying one is not cheap just for the trim ring. and its not made to come apart but we have done a few boot changes with success.

if you were to just buy the uip boot, you would have to chop it up to get over the top handle and i dont think it would be big enough to wrap but maybe. it would cover your indicator lights, but it looks doable.

the one in the sn95 forum, the guy used a pistol grip with a button on the top to work the shifter. not sure how he did that.
Attached Thumbnails IUP auto shift bezel? Where to get it?-dscf2342.jpg   IUP auto shift bezel? Where to get it?-dscf2343.jpg  

Last edited by amustangrocks; 9/25/12 at 08:06 PM.
Old 9/25/12, 09:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah, I'm talking with watchdevil through private messages on here and he said that the Bullitt shift bezel and boot will work on the auto somehow? Trying to work on the details on exactly how to do it though.

http://www.partscheap.com/Bullitt-Mu...3z-7277-cb.htm
Old 9/25/12, 10:23 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here it is...

It's best to use the boot with bezel for the Bullitt model because there is no plastic collar that you have to remove.

This is the one from my 2008 Mustang.

It is done like this:

1. Remove the basic snap-in trim ring.

2. Remove the snap in trim panels on each side of the audio/hvac controls

3. Remove the two screws under the console lid at the back and pull the top of the console off.

4. Unscrew the T-handle and lift it up from the shifter shaft carefully without pulling the overdrive button wires up too far and breaking them. You will leave the T-handle hanging off to the side with the wires still attached.

5. Remove the shifter indicator by pressing in the front and back tabs on the left sides and pulling the assembly up. Once that is loose, pull it up and unplug the the automatic overdrive wire connector. Then continue to completely remove the T-handle and shifter indicator.

6. Reinstall the top of the console and audio/hvac side trim.

7. Enlarge the hole in the Bullitt boot by cutting enough stitches in the boot seam to allow the shaft of the T-handle to pass through. Place the boot over the shifter shaft but do not snap in yet.

8. Hold the T-handle up and pass the overdrive button wires through the boot and reconnect the wiring connector for that.

9. Snap the shift boot onto the console. Make sure it is positioned the right way so that the boot does not bind during shifter travel.

10. Reinstall the T-handle.

And I just did it again for my 2010. I was hating that the automatic shifter indicator was sitting above the snap in chrome ring, plus I liked the flush chrome ring of the manual transmission cars better, so here it is manual style.
I did not have to enlarge the hole in the boot because the 2010+ Mustangs reverted back to a small diameter round shifter shaft to slide the T-handle onto.

Last edited by watchdevil; 9/25/12 at 11:10 PM.
Old 9/25/12, 10:38 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

thats just a trim ring, although nice, hes looking at a shift boot application if i have this right?

if you were to just buy the uip boot, you would have to chop it up to get over the top handle and i dont think it would be big enough to wrap but maybe. it would cover your indicator lights, but it looks doable.
The OEM IUP trim ring comes with the boot. I used the one for the Bullitt because it does not have a plastic collar in the top. You do not "chop up" the boot and make it fit over the T-handle. You remove the T-handle first then enlarge the opening in the boot by cutting a few of the stitches at the seam of the boot to allow the shifter shaft to pass through. The boot with trim ring snaps right in place then the T-handle is reinstalled last.

Last edited by watchdevil; 9/25/12 at 10:42 PM.
Old 9/26/12, 09:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by watchdevil
The OEM IUP trim ring comes with the boot. I used the one for the Bullitt because it does not have a plastic collar in the top. You do not "chop up" the boot and make it fit over the T-handle. You remove the T-handle first then enlarge the opening in the boot by cutting a few of the stitches at the seam of the boot to allow the shifter shaft to pass through. The boot with trim ring snaps right in place then the T-handle is reinstalled last.
i meant cut the stitching(chop it up), when you say plastic collar, do you mean the oring in the top? another option for the 05-09 with the square shaft would be a 4 panel boot so the stitching would hit on the corners. too bad the uip boots are so pricy just for the plastic trim ring, but they do look nice. a custom boot could be made for the 10+

another option would be to get the standard shift boot off ebay for $20 and get a nice trim ring

Last edited by amustangrocks; 9/26/12 at 11:26 AM.
Old 9/26/12, 11:34 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

i meant cut the stitching(chop it up),
As you described, you were suggesting getting the top of the T-handle through the boot which would require cutting way too much stitching out of the seam of the boot.

You're supposed to remove the T-handle first, install the boot in place with the hole in the boot enlarged just enough for the shifter shaft to come through, then slide the T-handle back onto the shifter shaft.

when you say plastic collar, do you mean the oring in the top?
No. Both the standard shift boot and IUP shift boot with trim ring has a plastic collar fitted into the underside of the hole of the shift boot. This provides support for the top of the boot to be as thick as the base of the standard Euro-style shift **** so that they meet flush together.

On Bullitt models which have the aluminum ball shift **** there is an o-ring glued to the underside of the shifter boot hole which holds up the boot on the narrow shaft. Since this is the boot I used, I removed the o-ring, cut a few stitches to allow the bottom of the T-handle to push through and then folded the material into the larger hole of the boot and re-glued it from the underside.

too bad the uip boots are so pricy just for the plastic trim ring, but they do look nice. a custom boot could be made for the 10+
another option would be to get the standard shift boot off ebay for $20 and get a nice trim ring
It's "IUP" as in Interior Upgrade Package as refered to by Ford, not "uip". The whole point of using the more expensive OEM boot and trim ring is to have an exact factory look using OEM parts.
Old 9/27/12, 01:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

got a little confused with the 05-09 boots that have the orings, and the 10+ that have the plastic cup in the top (that can be easily removed)

and being able to remove the t handle on the top is a major factor.

so in that bottom pic of the 2010 shifter, is that the iup trim, with the chrome ring? looks really nice
Old 9/27/12, 09:10 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

so in that bottom pic of the 2010 shifter, is that the iup trim, with the chrome ring? looks really nice
That chrome ring is standard on every manual transmission 2010-13 Mustang.
Old 9/27/12, 10:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Is there any chance that the auto shifter from the 2010 fits the 05-09 models?
Old 9/28/12, 07:47 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

No, the trim and indicator bezel is longer towards the rear than 09 and before. If you want to use the 2010+ shift handles, you have to change the shift lever to the actual 2010+ unit because the shift lever was changed to a small diameter round shaft so the shift handles could be shared with other Ford cars.

Last edited by watchdevil; 9/28/12 at 07:49 PM.
Old 9/30/12, 11:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

i posted this in your other thread too. a little fabrication, but it does look pretty good.
ive seen a couple guys install the 10+ auto shifters in the 05-09. its not a exact install but it can be done. theres quite a bit of adjustment in the shift cable to work with. heres one example i found
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...y-06-done.html
Old 9/30/12, 11:39 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

i posted this in your other thread too. a little fabrication, but it does look pretty good.
ive seen a couple guys install the 10+ auto shifters in the 05-09. its not a exact install but it can be done. theres quite a bit of adjustment in the shift cable to work with. heres one example i found
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...y-06-done.html
So basically to make the indicator bezel and trim fit they just cut the shifter opening in the console rearward right up to the cupholder. Well I am not really impressed with the look. I'd rather keep the indicator bezel that was stock and trim it with a Bullitt manual shift boot ring, with the boot removed which is what I ended up doing with the 08.

Yes the Bullitt/IUP trim ring with the boot removed fits perfectly around the auto shifter in place of the original flat one.
Attached Thumbnails IUP auto shift bezel? Where to get it?-december-2008-008.jpg  

Last edited by watchdevil; 9/30/12 at 11:49 PM.
Old 10/14/12, 09:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hey guys, I was just looking around at some old posts and saw a piece that looks like the manual shifter/boot from a manual Mustang that just fits over the auto shifter? Anybody know where I can get one of these or if anyone still makes them?
hey did you pursue this any more? heres what i was thinking if you wanted a leather boot, a 4 panel could be made to fit over the square shaft real nice. this is just one we had from a test and the top is not finished off, i just folded it in but shows the idea.

you would still need a trim ring. there was a guy selling a standard boot on ebay for $20. then the boot could be replaced with leather.
Attached Thumbnails IUP auto shift bezel? Where to get it?-dscf2402.jpg  
Old 10/17/12, 09:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

I decided I'm just going to get a TCI and replace the T-handle with a round shift ****. I'm really surprised there's no other real options out there though...

Quick Reply: IUP auto shift bezel? Where to get it?