05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

IPOD / PIE Installation Issues on 2006 GT

Search this Thread

Old 10/19/05, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know there are many forums out there on the IPOD but I wanted to let you know about my install on my 2006 GT. Hopefuly it will help others (or maybe not)

1) On one of the forums are posted instructions how to remove the stereo (These look like Ford instructions, whoever posted them, thanks). These are brilliant instructions but are slightly flawed for the 2006.
2) Following the instructions there is no way to remove the consol. I tried everything but no luck. In fact you don't have to remove it to install the adapter or get to the stereo.
3) When removing the center panel finsh plate the instructions say to disconnect the wiring at the top of panel. In fact there are 2 connectors at the bottom also and no way will the one on the right come off. Some sort of special plug which I could'nt fathom how to do.
4) The stereo won't actually come out as Ford have taped the wiring harness to the frame at the back of the stereo. You need to cut the tape on the harness to get any sort of flexibility.
5) The PIE adpater only gives output from the IPOD and does NOT allow the IPOD to be controlled from the stereo (SHAKER 500). I thought it did.
6) Once fully connected the system didn't recognise the IPOD so I called PIE and Victor advised a bug in the system whereby if you reconnect the Ford harness (with the 2 wires) into the PIE harness, it doesn't register. Disconecting the Ford harness solved the problem but now there is no speed/volume function or light dimming function on the stereo. Victor has a Beta chip in test he will send so I can try. I'll let you know how it goes.
7) Finally, getting the consol finish plate back on was a problem and I ended up scratching the top of the parking brake. Now I need to clean this up to remove the hideous scratches.
Old 10/19/05, 01:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

I'll agree, there is a lot of plastic flying around when trying to get behind the stereo.
Old 10/19/05, 03:26 PM
GT Member

I'm not going to go point-by-point, but I can answer some of these concerns.

The known bug with the PIE adaptor exists on the 2005 as well, and they are currently beta-testing a chip which fixes it. Elsewhere on the forum (too lazy to find it, search for PIE or something) you'll find that someone has received the beta chip and it now works great with both cables installed. There is no ETA on when the fix will go public though... perhaps they don't want another oops.

As for controlling the iPod from the radio, you are correct, there is no way to do that with this PIE adaptor. On the two places I have found descriptions of the adaptor, they did tell you this, though they certainly didn't make it clear. A lot of the other PIE products DO allow you to control the iPod from the radio, but perhaps the Shaker doesn't allow that interface. All I can say is that hopefully you can find a convenient way to mount the iPod so that you can mess with it while driving and not run into a semi

I have not done an install, so I can't speak about taking apart your dash, but it's possible they've tweaked some of that for the '06, which could cause the instructions to be somewhat inaccurate. Has anyone got the shop manuals for the '06 that can say if they're different?

Where did you purchase the adaptor? I know that logjam said that they would replace the chip on the PIE with the updated software once it is released, and hopefully any other place would do the same. If not, you might try returning it as defective (it is!) and get one once the fix is established and publicly available.
Old 10/19/05, 08:16 PM

I purchased the chip from Discountstereo.com but it is actually Victor at PIE who is sorting it out.(A very nice bloke)

Appreciate the feedback.
Old 10/19/05, 10:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had no problems at all putting it in or making it work with all the wires attached. The hardest thing I had to do was figure out where I wanted the module.

[I do not have an iPod, I just connected it to my laptop hence I was not expecting any control at all.]
Old 10/20/05, 10:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

That connector you mention as "no way it will ever come off" was infact quite easy to remove on my 2006. It has a little clip/lever around it that you need to push up. Once you do that it will pop right out. Its the connector on the right side. The one on the left just pops straight off but for me it was on very tight. I found the center console and radio removal to be very easy. The hardest for me was the rear speaker deck installs due to the limited space at the window.
Old 10/21/05, 10:12 AM

Man, I was pushing that little clip every which way but nothing doing. Its a grey clip around a yellow connector - right?
Old 10/21/05, 04:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Sorry, I don't remember what colors they were. Only that it was the bottom right connector when looking at it headon from drivers seat. To remove it just go over to the passenger side and use a flashlight to get a better view. I only remember the clip being pushed up which allowed the connector to come straight out.
Old 10/21/05, 04:42 PM

Ah well, I've done it now, but thanks. Didn't need skin on my knuckles anyway.
Old 10/23/05, 02:46 PM

Ok, latest update:
Installed the latest chip from PIE and hey presto, the stereo now dims with the rest of the dash lights.
Finally managed to get the troublesome plug off the back of the dash plate with a little force, now it comes off no problem.
Note to others: No need to remove any centre consol items to remove the stereo. You only need to remove the bezel and loosen the consol cover but that's it.

Hope this helps anyone doing this.
Old 11/13/05, 01:20 AM
GT Member

IT WORKS NOW...everybody go buy one..

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/
Old 11/13/05, 02:40 PM
Bullitt Member

I still haven't received one of the new ones. I was like the 9th person to buy one from logjamelectronics.com. I selected the option to get a new on their website and haven't received it yet. Has anyone else got their new replacement one?
Old 11/13/05, 04:23 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Cam07@November 13, 2005, 4:43 PM
I still haven't received one of the new ones. I was like the 9th person to buy one from logjamelectronics.com. I selected the option to get a new on their website and haven't received it yet. Has anyone else got their new replacement one?
The replacement IC's ship out first, and those who opted for the IC are just now getting them. If they have problems with these, then they don't need to send out the more expensive option. If everything goes pretty smoothly, then you will get yours.
Old 11/19/05, 02:52 PM

ordered my adapter last monday, recieved it thursday, and installed today. it works exactly as designed. took about 15 minutes to install. PIE did a heck of a job with this thing. best mod to date.