05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

iPod integration announced from Ford and GM

Search this Thread

Old 8/16/06, 07:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rondosa
iPODs are so overrated....
just curious, so don't take this the wrong way, but...have you ever owned an ipod? I've never met anyone who has one that doesn't love it. I'm curious as to why you think it's overrated.
Old 8/16/06, 07:31 AM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

Originally Posted by Rash
just curious, so don't take this the wrong way, but...have you ever owned an ipod? I've never met anyone who has one that doesn't love it. I'm curious as to why you think it's overrated.
I have never purchased one with my own money, but I have used others' for extended periods of time enough to know how they are. There are so many others that provide the same functionality, with added features on top of what iPOD offers, plus superior reliability and battery life.

I'm not saying they are BAD, I'm just saying they are overrated. Sorta like Toyotas. If you do your research, there might just be a better product out there for you.
Old 8/16/06, 02:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well Said Rondosa!!
I personally like the Creative Zen Vision better than the Ipod.
Hmmmm, maybe thats why Creative has Ipod in a court battle!!!!
Thats what you get for Bitting other peoples ideas.
Old 8/16/06, 03:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
iPODs are so overrated...it's just so frustrating that all the automakers are getting integration for the iPODs only, and leave the rest of us educated consumers out in the dark.

I personally have a Creative Labs MP3 hard drive player and I wish that I would plug it in and control it from the stereo. Oh well, at minimum, an AUX jack is still nice.
Hey Kristina, you have a real sweet car (saw some pics on your site. ) The AUX jack is what every car will be coming with in the near future. Only some makes, will have an IPod specific plug for their stereos as well, as an AUX jack for other brand of MP3 players. I wish my '06 had an AUX jack. The FM modulator I have, while sufficient, isn't the best. Hope Ford's aftermarket fix comes out sooner than later.
Old 8/17/06, 07:14 AM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Hey Kristina, you have a real sweet car (saw some pics on your site. ) The AUX jack is what every car will be coming with in the near future. Only some makes, will have an IPod specific plug for their stereos as well, as an AUX jack for other brand of MP3 players. I wish my '06 had an AUX jack. The FM modulator I have, while sufficient, isn't the best. Hope Ford's aftermarket fix comes out sooner than later.
Hi Jeff, thanks for the compliments. Blue was probably my second choice, great colour!

As for the aux jack, I've been planning to see what all the part involved are from the 07 to see if I can retrofit the jack into my centre console, so we'll see. Perhaps it's a winter mod...FM is perfectly fine, as MP3s really aren't high fidelity either, but direct jack is still much better and cleaner.

Cheers,
K
Old 8/17/06, 07:58 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi Jeff, thanks for the compliments. Blue was probably my second choice, great colour!

As for the aux jack, I've been planning to see what all the part involved are from the 07 to see if I can retrofit the jack into my centre console, so we'll see. Perhaps it's a winter mod...FM is perfectly fine, as MP3s really aren't high fidelity either, but direct jack is still much better and cleaner.

Cheers,
K
Hey K, thanks for the compliments too. Blue is my favorite color, an this Vista Blue is exactly what I had in mind for so long for my Mustang.

In regards to the AUX jack and retrofitting it for the 2005 and 2006 cars, I posted in the parts specials section in Marketplace of the site, about how it isn't easy. I work at a Ford dealer (in sales) and I have been working on this. I took a 2007 V6 that we got in, and bascially took it apart. Took the console, side paels from the radio off, face place (but couldn't get it all off) to see if I could get a part number for the AUX wire.

If you didn't check out my other post, I'll give you the rundown. Once I had the console and radio and HVAC face plate removed, I saw the problem. The AUX jack, while separate, is loomed with the power point in the center console compartment, AND all loomed with the car's safety restraint module. I guess they do this to keep all the wires together. If someone wanted to purchase the loom, it costs over $400, YIKES!. The reason is that you have to buy the whole loom, WITH the restraint module, which makes the price much higher. So much for using that wire.

Now, all 2007 F150's and Fusions (Job2's) are going to be coming with the AUX adapter as well. My best bet is witih the F150. If you haven't been in one, there is a little rubber tray on the top of the dashboard in the center, just above the radio. Its a tray to put your cell phone, or things like that on, and they won't slide around. In the '07's the tray is were they are putting the AUX jack at. My thinking, is that since the jack is directly above the radio, the wire will be separate, and have its own part number. If it does, and I can take it out of the truck and try it in a Mustang, and it fits, BINGO, solution solved!! While I'm on vacation this week, we should be getting in the 1st of the 2007 F150's within a few weeks. Once I get one, I'm going to try this. I just hope that the wire is by itself, and not tied together with a bunch of others. That was a real downer when I took the car apart. Once I get more info, I'll post it here and in the parts section too.
Old 8/17/06, 08:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

iPODs are so overrated...it's just so frustrating that all the automakers are getting integration for the iPODs only, and leave the rest of us educated consumers out in the dark.

I personally have a Creative Labs MP3 hard drive player and I wish that I would plug it in and control it from the stereo. Oh well, at minimum, an AUX jack is still nice.
I would guess that since there are so many mp3 players on the market now, since iPod pretty much owns the majority of the market currently I'm sure thats why the car dealers are going with them. Plus since it is a deal with apple who know what kind of incentive apple is giving back to the dealers, because obviously this is a huge win for apple and will lead to more iPod sales.