05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

iPod integration announced from Ford and GM

Search this Thread

Old 8/3/06, 01:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iPod integration announced from Ford and GM

I know you get an aux jack with the 07 mustang, but according to the announcement they indicate that it will be seemless integration and allow the iPod to actually be controlled from the stereo as well as charged, coming early next year.

cnn article
http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/ptech/0....ap/index.html

zdnet article
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6101744.html
Old 8/3/06, 01:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

"For an additional price, beginning early next year, Ford dealers plan to begin selling a system called TripTunes Advanced that will enable an iPod to be stored and recharged in a vehicle's glove compartment while the driver or passenger directs its functions using controls on the radio or steering wheel."

So there's the next-gen Trip Tunes we've been waiting for. Hope it works on 05-06 Shakers, not just 07.
Old 8/3/06, 01:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Rash

So there's the next-gen Trip Tunes we've been waiting for. Hope it works on 05-06 Shakers, not just 07.
I agree, this would be a reason for me to get an ipod if it is the case. I'm one of the few people left in the world that doesn't have one, LOL
Old 8/3/06, 02:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Me neither
Old 8/3/06, 03:37 PM
V6 Member

Great news (if it's compatible with the existing 05+ Mustangs)

Old 8/3/06, 04:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

I am not getting my hopes up, the original Trip Tunes turned out to be an FM modulator that took Ford forever to release. Unless it acts as a true audio aux input, who cares ? FM mods don't sound that great.
Old 8/3/06, 04:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 1200custom
I am not getting my hopes up, the original Trip Tunes turned out to be an FM modulator that took Ford forever to release. Unless it acts as a true audio aux input, who cares ? FM mods don't sound that great.
I think this is the item that KC was talking about that was coming out later on. This will be fully digital, just like factory, hence the work seemelss integration and superior audio quality.
Old 8/3/06, 04:53 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by dekujala
I agree, this would be a reason for me to get an ipod if it is the case. I'm one of the few people left in the world that doesn't have one, LOL
you can get it now - the peripheral adapter - control the ipod thru shaker and store in armrest and charges; same thing; i have one and it works. i doubt that whatever ford comes out with will be compatible with the 05 or 06 shakers as the 07 ones already are not compatible.
Old 8/3/06, 06:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by vicmeldrew
you can get it now - the peripheral adapter - control the ipod thru shaker and store in armrest and charges; same thing; i have one and it works. i doubt that whatever ford comes out with will be compatible with the 05 or 06 shakers as the 07 ones already are not compatible.
From the other thread on this board, I thought the peripheral units were riddled with problems. Have they fixed them?
Old 8/3/06, 09:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thumbs up

http://cgi.ebay.ca/FRD04-AUX-Ford-Li...ayphotohosting

i broke down and bought the frd04.
installation was a snap. needed to take the console out, front control plate, side panels, and finally the radio. 14 scews holds all that in place.

connected the harness. spliced into the power outlet for the ground and constant 12v. took 1 hour from start to finish.
It sounds great with my Ipaq. Kool how a headphone icon is displayed when the AUX button is depressed.

The only thing i didnt like was being dinged for $40 brokerage fee from UPS. Last time i purchase something from someone who ships UPS.
Old 8/4/06, 05:26 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Rash
From the other thread on this board, I thought the peripheral units were riddled with problems. Have they fixed them?
they have fixed them with a software update and will begin shipping them to dealers next week...so, if you order one just be sure you get the update. i confirmed this with the tech at peripheral that was responsible for confirming the new software.
Old 8/4/06, 04:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by legend05
http://cgi.ebay.ca/FRD04-AUX-Ford-Li...ayphotohosting

i broke down and bought the frd04.
installation was a snap. needed to take the console out, front control plate, side panels, and finally the radio. 14 scews holds all that in place.

connected the harness. spliced into the power outlet for the ground and constant 12v. took 1 hour from start to finish.
It sounds great with my Ipaq. Kool how a headphone icon is displayed when the AUX button is depressed.

The only thing i didnt like was being dinged for $40 brokerage fee from UPS. Last time i purchase something from someone who ships UPS.
Hey Legend, thanks for the link. This looks to be a great cheaper alternative to the Peripheral unit. The only thing that worries me, is the splicing part. I'm not too keen on cutting into wires behind my dash. Is this required? Can't you just plug this into the radio, like the Peripheral unit?
Old 8/4/06, 05:08 PM
GT Member

[quote=05fordgt]Hey Legend, thanks for the link. This looks to be a great cheaper alternative to the Peripheral unit. The only thing that worries me, is the splicing part. I'm not too keen on cutting into wires behind my dash. Is this required? Can't you just plug this into the radio, like the Peripheral unit?[/quot

this works too; you cant control an ipod through the radio though or charge it; but if that is not an issue go for it
Old 8/4/06, 07:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have 2 ipods. One stays in my mustang all the time the other I use when I work out.
Old 8/4/06, 07:55 PM
Bullitt Member

ipod's aren't the only MP3 players. Hopefully the new "integration" includes direct connectivity capability with other MP3 players.

I don't care much about control through the head unit and recharging. Just my opinion.

The article mentions: "In addition, Ford plans to add auxiliary audio input jacks on nearly half of its lineup, starting this fall. Tunes from any gadget -- iPods, other MP3 or CD music players, cell phones and game handhelds -- will then be playable on the cars' audio systems without the need for extra adapters or FM transmitters". What about for folks who already have a car?
Old 8/4/06, 08:30 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Spirit
ipod's aren't the only MP3 players. Hopefully the new "integration" includes direct connectivity capability with other MP3 players.

I don't care much about control through the head unit and recharging. Just my opinion.

The article mentions: "In addition, Ford plans to add auxiliary audio input jacks on nearly half of its lineup, starting this fall. Tunes from any gadget -- iPods, other MP3 or CD music players, cell phones and game handhelds -- will then be playable on the cars' audio systems without the need for extra adapters or FM transmitters". What about for folks who already have a car?
not quite sure you understand; it will be the same as the pie adapter for any thing you can play or ipod specific like the peripheral; you will not gain by waiting; get the device you want now
Old 8/5/06, 11:57 AM
GT Member

Here's another source for the P.I.E. AUX in adapter. They also have iPod adapters as well:

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piefrd04aux.html
Old 8/5/06, 07:53 PM
Bullitt Member

My '07 has the aux input and I had "complained" via another thread that I couldn't control the ipod from the head unit. This is exactly what the '07s should have had from the start. I'll probably buy it when it comes out.
Old 8/7/06, 08:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by vicmeldrew
not quite sure you understand; it will be the same as the pie adapter for any thing you can play or ipod specific like the peripheral; you will not gain by waiting; get the device you want now
According to the press announcement, it doesn't sound like its going to be like the pie adaptor. It is a deal between the auto manufactuers and apple specifically. Also it does indicate that you can direct control the ipod from the radio and charge it as well. I am assuming this will be something similar to what you get with the aftermarket alpine units.
Old 8/16/06, 06:51 AM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

iPODs are so overrated...it's just so frustrating that all the automakers are getting integration for the iPODs only, and leave the rest of us educated consumers out in the dark.

I personally have a Creative Labs MP3 hard drive player and I wish that I would plug it in and control it from the stereo. Oh well, at minimum, an AUX jack is still nice.

Quick Reply: iPod integration announced from Ford and GM