05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Interior light questions.

Search this Thread

Old 7/7/08, 07:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Lightbulb Interior light questions.

Howdy all! *waves*

Ok, I have a cute little project. I want footwell lamps in my 06. Problem is, only lights in the car are the map lights that come on for doors open. That's it, as you all well know.

I was thinking that blue LED lamps (cute little pencil mount ones with little stands I found) under the seats for the rear and under the dash for the fronts would do fine. Yeah, they'd be blue, but they'd light up the place nicely. I already found a place for the two in the back, and they work great. Only thing is, they work offa the lighter in the console. Sorry, "power port". Has a little switch on the dongle. Not very awesome, but conceptually, it's fine, and gets the idea across.

So all I gotta do is find the "doors open/dome light on" signal, and tap into that. I then run my tap wire to a relay, and THAT is wired to the battery. Simple. (Please note... using the map lights isn't the option. I don't want them on when I turn on the map lights...)

Now for part two. I want those LEDs to also light up when the dash lights are on. I figure that's tapping into the headlamp switch or another light harness in the dash for another tap, and run that wire into my relay... wait... Two sources, one relay? Unpossible?

Not if you use a diode on the two taps, each... right? If my rather limited knowledge of electrical circuitry is faulty in any regard, I *really* wanna know about it. And if anyone has easy harness wires I can tap into so I don't have to hunt and hunt, that'd be awesome.

It occurs to me that maybe two separate systems, one white LED for doors open/dome light on, and the blue for ambient, would be better... and maybe even cooler... but the taps are the same problem.

Thanks so much, in advance!

Last edited by houtex; 7/7/08 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Clarity I had afterwards...
Old 7/7/08, 10:04 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Read my old thread on ambient lighting...

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=465397
Old 7/8/08, 06:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Other threads that give wiring tips:
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=451915
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=453887

Also note that taping into the map lights might still be an option (tap into the wires in the passanger side A-pillar) and you can still turn on the map lights without turning on the footwell lights but not the other way around.
Old 7/8/08, 10:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Thank you both so very much! Exactly what I needed. With the right tools and know how, I'll have mah lights like I want!

I've decided on white for door open footwells, and blue for ambient, so different LEDs and circuits. Easier to implement, and way more logical.

I need to tell ya, watchdevil, your pics aren't workin... red x's everywhere. Thought you should know. I can follow the directions fine, though, no worries!

Awesome. This forum is the best. This here is the example why! Ty ty ty!!

Last edited by houtex; 7/8/08 at 10:13 PM.
Old 7/10/08, 10:39 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex
Thank you both so very much! Exactly what I needed. With the right tools and know how, I'll have mah lights like I want!

I've decided on white for door open footwells, and blue for ambient, so different LEDs and circuits. Easier to implement, and way more logical.

I need to tell ya, watchdevil, your pics aren't workin... red x's everywhere. Thought you should know. I can follow the directions fine, though, no worries!

Awesome. This forum is the best. This here is the example why! Ty ty ty!!
Sorry for all the red X's! I purged the server that I was storing pictures on by mistake. However all of my photos are found in my gallery by following the link in my signature line...