05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Interior Improvements

Search this Thread

Old 7/4/06, 10:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interior Improvements

This is what I have gotten done so far.

Painted the switch plates some time ago, and finally got around to doing the center console and radio surround. The door handle surrounds will be next.

Installed the Redline E Brake boot. Had red inserts put into a set of dark stock seat covers and swapped out the rears and passenger seat so far.

Applied carpeting to the lower section of the center console and panels along radio surround. I used brush-on Contact Cement to attach carpet. The carpet material was purchased at Autozone in a big roll for $8.

The silver paint is Dupli-Color Truck/Van/SUV Silver Met #T229 and the Clear is T125.

I lightly sanded the surfaces and cleaned with Preps All, removes grease,grime and dirt and such. Wiped with a tack rag to remove any dust and such and sprayed with Bull Dog Adhesive Promotor, can be purchased from local painting supply house. This helps paint stick to any surface.

Then I sprayed a gray primer and sanded smooth. The gray primer allows for paint adhesion as well as a smooth surface and when using silver the gray primer is lighter colored than the stock dark colored plastic.

Sprayed a few coats of the silver and then allowed to tack and sprayed again in clear. Once dried I sanded with wet/dry 800 grit and cleaned with paint cleaner.

I've ordered the cup holder bezel from MGW and I need to find some foam to position under the shifter boot to keep it from sagging. I am also looking to maybe getting the 07 shift bezel/boot when it comes available. My hotsheet from clevparts shows it's not ready for release yet.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...5/DSC00931.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...5/DSC00930.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...5/DSC00928.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...5/DSC00926.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...5/DSC00923.jpg
Old 7/4/06, 11:15 AM
Bullitt Member

WOW, the improvements look great. Very nice job!!
Old 7/4/06, 01:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks...... I think it is the way it should have been, at a minimum, from Ford when purchasing the upgraded interior.

Adding the carpet to the lower center console really adds that extra touch and gives it a 'finished factory look' and it's really easy to do.

I did have that stick silver stuff could could never really get over the "stick-on look".
Old 7/4/06, 01:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

?????????

Why is your passenger seat black and red and your drivers seat is all red??? To much silver IMO. I think it would look better if you removed the silver from the stereo and a/c area.
Old 7/4/06, 02:41 PM

Thanks for the write up and pictures, looks great........

Anything that is done to the plain, black, plastic looking interior is a step forward...

Hopefully, Fords interior designers will surf this site and find out what some of us have done to our interiors and take a hint for future Mustangs.
Old 7/4/06, 02:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by redbullet
Adding the carpet to the lower center console really adds that extra touch and gives it a 'finished factory look' and it's really easy to do.
Absolutely! That is a great mod--thanks for posting. (yet another mod on my "to do" list now...)
Old 7/4/06, 06:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Nice interior. I really like what you did with the carpet. Unique. Now, on my project list.
Old 7/4/06, 07:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Why is your passenger seat black and red and your drivers seat is all red??? To much silver IMO. I think it would look better if you removed the silver from the stereo and a/c area.
'Cuz I ran outta time.

You don't have to use silver. You could use a color to match the exterior. Screaming yellow or either blue would look HOT!!!!
Old 7/5/06, 07:15 AM
Bullitt Member

I have to say I really like the painted console. I'm gonna have to send those pictures home and possibly join you on that. I need to take my console apart anyway and figure out why so much heat is coming up thru there. I thing I'm gonna get the high temp dynamat and do that all under the console area for noise & heat protection. Nice job!!!
Old 7/5/06, 07:59 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Interesting and original mods, nice work!
Old 7/5/06, 09:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

'Cuz I ran outta time.

You don't have to use silver. You could use a color to match the exterior. Screaming yellow or either blue would look HOT!!!!
Did you paint your seats with a leather dye, or are those covers?
Old 7/5/06, 01:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Lokius
Did you paint your seats with a leather dye, or are those covers?
I bought a complete set of factory seat covers frm a member here and had a local shop stitch in the new red inserts that U C.
Old 7/5/06, 02:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

I've been toying with this myself...... here are some different looks I have photoshoped for my redfire.
Attached Thumbnails Interior Improvements-full.jpg   Interior Improvements-fullminus-dash.jpg   Interior Improvements-center-dash.jpg   Interior Improvements-center.jpg  
Old 7/5/06, 05:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Thunder Road
I've been toying with this myself...... here are some different looks I have photoshoped for my redfire.
I think the third one is the best looking. My only suggestion for the third pic is to remove the red from around the ac/radio area. Just wondering what that would look like. pls post.
Old 7/5/06, 07:04 PM
Bullitt Member

If you figure out how to get the dash board off w/o having to remove the complete dash, lemme know.....
Old 7/5/06, 07:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

here we go
Attached Thumbnails Interior Improvements-console-dash.jpg  
Old 7/5/06, 08:36 PM
Bullitt Member

here we go
'cept that little curved part at the front of the center section is actually part of the radio surround.

Now go yank that dash pad off and get back to me.....
Old 7/5/06, 08:48 PM
GTR Member

That carpet on the sides is awesome.Thats next for me!!
Old 7/5/06, 11:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

'cept that little curved part at the front of the center section is actually part of the radio surround.

Now go yank that dash pad off and get back to me.....
I will likely use a center piece stainless and it doesnt cover the rounded part so I will paint that high. I dont believe I will have to pull the dash to do this, but Im still not sold on which look I like the best anyeay.
Old 7/6/06, 06:38 AM
Bullitt Member

I dont believe I will have to pull the dash to do this, but Im still not sold on which look I like the best anyeay.
I meant puling the dash pad for painting, as in your pics. If you paint it you won't want to do it in the car.

Quick Reply: Interior Improvements