05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Installing a Factory NAV on a 2005 'Stang

Search this Thread

Old 5/8/07, 03:27 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Alright! Nav DVD showed up after lunch, so I have everything. Just went and put the antenna and dvd in, and calibrated it. I don't know how well the tape I used will hold up, didn't seem to want to stick to the plastic between the vents, but we'll see.

Got the clock set fine, and my position looks good. I did find out that the pins in the smallest of the 3 connections were bent down, so I wasn't getting contact on 5 of the 8. I straightened them out and made sure it plugged in fine, so that's taken care of. Will get it reprogrammed on Thursday, so we'll see how it works after that, but for now I'm stoked!
Old 5/8/07, 04:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Alright Jay!!!

Check YOU out! Another member of the small but growing NAV family. Don't forget to update your sig!

Just out of curiosity, are you getting any GPS Fault errors?

Update on my situation: Spoke with KC yesterday, he says his radio guy was out for a week so no news yet. I'll follow up again with him on Thursday.
Old 5/8/07, 04:12 PM

mrkabc, Yeah, I get an error when it starts up. Didn't spend too much time on it today, since I did it over lunch. I'll check it out a little more tonight.

Oh yeah, and I got the same antenna you have from Kevin.
Old 5/9/07, 09:23 AM

Anyone know how to take the center panel (with the vents) off the dash, or get the instrument cluster out? My antenna (taped between the vents on the inside) was rattling pretty bad on the way home last night, so I moved it (just to see how well it would do) to the top of the radio. Now I can barely get a signal from the sattelites, so it will have to be moved again. I figured if I could get that panel off I could rivet it on to the plastic on the back of the panel to hold it more securely, or maybe try putting it in the stock location, if I can get the instrument cluster out.

The tape I got is 3M heavy duty tape, white stuff, but it doesn't seem to stick that well to the plastic on the back side of the center panel.

Any suggestions?
Old 5/9/07, 11:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by jayguy

The tape I got is 3M heavy duty tape, white stuff, but it doesn't seem to stick that well to the plastic on the back side of the center panel.

Any suggestions?
I wouldn't take the dash apart. Talk about rattle city!!

If you really want to take the cluster out though, go to post 9 here for directions:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=58893

If you don't want to do that I would get the red 3M body tape at Autozone (same stuff used to hold spoilers, scoops, etc) - that will hold your antenna down and I guarantee it won't rattle or go anywhere!
Old 5/9/07, 12:07 PM

I got the tape I have at an Ace Hardware (it was next to the pizza place for lunch yesterday).

I'll give the red tape a try tonight. I really don't want to take everything apart, just trying to get this mounted solidly.

Oh, and tomorrow I get the system re-programmed, so that'll be fun too.
Old 5/9/07, 12:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jayguy
I got the tape I have at an Ace Hardware (it was next to the pizza place for lunch yesterday).

I'll give the red tape a try tonight. I really don't want to take everything apart, just trying to get this mounted solidly.

Oh, and tomorrow I get the system re-programmed, so that'll be fun too.

Get some 3M VHB double sided tape, it bonds anything basically. Its what they use for body panels etc usually.
Old 5/9/07, 02:23 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dekujala
Get some 3M VHB double sided tape, it bonds anything basically. Its what they use for body panels etc usually.
Agreed this is the good stuff it will be gray tape and red plastic that peels off. They also make a primer that any body shop supply place should have in small packets and when used it makes the tape dam near impossible to remove.

Richard
Old 5/9/07, 04:07 PM

I think I've got a box of adhesion promoter (gauze wet-nap looking things with glue on them) from when I put a body kit on my Tacoma a few years ago, if I can find it. I'll try Autozone on the way home tonight, they might even have some there along with the tape.
Old 5/10/07, 04:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Anyone know how to take the center panel (with the vents) off the dash,
I was wondering about that also....I reread the writeup by mrkabc and it looks to me as if the panel is off in that picture where he shows his SAT antenna placement....I haven't begun my install, just waiting for the last components to get here, but I'd like to install my SAT antenna in the same place.....Maybe it's more obvious once you get into it???....any help would be appreciated.

hags1
Old 5/10/07, 06:09 AM
GT Member

I just stuck my antenna on the underside of the dash pad with double sided tape above glove box.
Old 5/10/07, 08:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by redmsgt
I just stuck my antenna on the underside of the dash pad with double sided tape above glove box.
Does it work good there?

hags1
Old 5/10/07, 02:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by hags1
I was wondering about that also....I reread the writeup by mrkabc and it looks to me as if the panel is off in that picture where he shows his SAT antenna placement....I haven't begun my install, just waiting for the last components to get here, but I'd like to install my SAT antenna in the same place.....Maybe it's more obvious once you get into it???....any help would be appreciated.

hags1
I didn't take the panel off when I installed the antenna. Once you remove the factory radio you simply reach up into the hole in your dash and stick on your Satellite antenna to the space between the vents. It's easy as pie!

The antenna works in that location, I can imagine that it would also work stuck to the underside of the dash pad as well, as long as there is no metal above the antenna.
Old 5/10/07, 02:26 PM
GT Member

Does it work good there?

hags1
Works great.
Old 5/10/07, 03:04 PM

I got my antenna re-mounted where mrkabc has his, used body panel tape this time, and it stuck much better. Better signal than I had before, also. I haven't gotten the thing reprogrammed though, we tried today but got some errors. We're trying to reprogram the ACM using the as-built info from a Mustang that was built with the nav system in it. I don't know for sure if it has to be a similarly equiped car, the one we used was a GT coupe with auto trans, and I have manual. With a VIN, he can get into OASIS and pull the ACM codes for the module in that car, and re-program in in my car. So this afternoon I'm looking on line for any cars with the NAV simillarly equiped (man, 3.55 gears, etc) just in case that works. He did get a part number for the radio from a Radio Tech in Cali, but then when trying to reprogram that isn't usable.

Anyway, if I learn more I'll let you all know.
Old 5/11/07, 08:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mrkabc
I didn't take the panel off when I installed the antenna. Once you remove the factory radio you simply reach up into the hole in your dash and stick on your Satellite antenna to the space between the vents. It's easy as pie!

The antenna works in that location, I can imagine that it would also work stuck to the underside of the dash pad as well, as long as there is no metal above the antenna.
Thanks for the reply......can I ask....how the heck did you get the picture of the spot between the vents?.....

hags1
Old 5/11/07, 11:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks for the reply......can I ask....how the heck did you get the picture of the spot between the vents?.....

hags1
LOL... that was easy! I just stuck my camera facing up in the hole in the dash where the stereo was and snapped a pic.

Going to call KC right now and see if he has any new info.
Old 5/12/07, 07:37 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mrkabc Any Updates? I talked with kevin about two days ago. He said the guy was looking at some addon device to generate the speed signal or convert it or something. That is the last I know.
Old 5/13/07, 08:35 PM
V6 Member

Very interested in this -- could someone PM me the price?
Old 5/14/07, 09:54 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm not sure how much this is costing you guys... but for $1400 you can get the Pioneer AVIC-Z1, which is a MUCH better unit and sounds great.

I had my Shaker1000 ripped out, but there is an interface for the Shaker system, and it's not too expensive, either.

See attached pics:
Attached Thumbnails Installing a Factory NAV on a 2005 'Stang-dsc01258.jpg   Installing a Factory NAV on a 2005 'Stang-dsc01263.jpg  

Quick Reply: Installing a Factory NAV on a 2005 'Stang