05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Improved Shaker 1000... Pics

Search this Thread

Old 5/21/10, 01:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Because giant bass-bumping stereos are for 16 year olds
The following users liked this post:
rocknrod (5/1/24)
Old 5/24/10, 01:33 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 06GT
To the contrary, I am 40 years old, and love my Shaker 1000 just as it is. I can crank up all my old Journey and ZZ Top CD's all I want. Good relief on the way home from the stresses of a dealership parts department, and the various idiots I deal with on a daily basis.
Old 5/29/10, 03:54 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rash
Frequency response on the Shelbys: 30hz - 21khz
Frequency response on the Kicker KS680: 45hz -21khz

Maybe not the same?
I would just caulk that up to marketing. Those speakers are NOT going to making usable sound at 30hz, so unless they state there specs as "30hz - 21khz +3db - 12db" or other such "stuff", it is pure marketing speak.

Just for fun, here is the listed frequency response for the JL Audio ZR570-CSi 5x7 speakers ($870!!!!!):

"frequency response: 48-25,000 Hz".
Old 5/30/10, 08:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Steel, any idea what the model # of the subs in the front doors are?? I am not in a huge hurry to replace them, but since I've already upgraded the speakers with the shelby updates, it seems like a good idea to keep an eye out in case the other ones actually go on sale and I can do these on the cheap too. I went to Shelby's site, but cant tell by the pics what the numbers are on them.

Just curious. Any help appreciated.

Andretti

Last edited by Andretti1; 5/30/10 at 08:40 AM.
Old 6/9/10, 07:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

For those interested, Crutchfield has a price break on the KS680 right now - $85/pair. There is also a coupon code (can I post it here?) good until June 30 for $20 off. Free shipping as well. Total for 2 pair - $150. Millionbuy.com would be $136 if you include shipping and having to buy the wire harness. $14 more from a reputable company is worth it to me.

Last edited by Rash; 6/9/10 at 07:30 AM.
Old 6/9/10, 04:50 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Andretti1
Steel, any idea what the model # of the subs in the front doors are?? I am not in a huge hurry to replace them, but since I've already upgraded the speakers with the shelby updates, it seems like a good idea to keep an eye out in case the other ones actually go on sale and I can do these on the cheap too. I went to Shelby's site, but cant tell by the pics what the numbers are on them.

Andretti
Unfortunately, no... FYI, the Shelby Store is having a 15% off Father's Day sale...

For those interested, Crutchfield has a price break on the KS680 right now - $85/pair. There is also a coupon code (can I post it here?) good until June 30 for $20 off. Free shipping as well. Total for 2 pair - $150. Millionbuy.com would be $136 if you include shipping and having to buy the wire harness. $14 more from a reputable company is worth it to me.
That is a good price at Crutchfield. They were over a $100.00 a month ago...
Old 6/10/10, 07:40 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Andretti
Here you go: 4R3T-18808-AFW
Old 6/12/10, 02:29 AM
V6 Member

Andretti

I think they might be these http://www.kicker.com/comp_vt
Old 6/12/10, 07:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 06GT
Clearly you've never experienced the sheer joy of a smokey burnout on a Friday afternoon with "Highway to Hell" blasting from a giant bass-thumping stereo.

https://themustangsource.com/f692/ne...ck-sub-476186/

Rock on man!

Tim
Old 6/23/10, 09:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks steel for posting that. I ended up getting a link to champion mustang http://www.championmustang.com/modern/ and found the speakers there for $10 less WITH the new speaker covers as well as the 4.1 amp for over $100 knocked off. I ended up getting everything including shipping for around $530...as opposed to the $650+ though shelby without shipping...I only wish I had the cash to go ahead and buy the replacement sub for the trunk at the same time. I'll eventually get it, but would have loved to get it while its price is dropped too.

I'm looking forward to getting and installing. I'll let you know how it turns out when I'm done....now I guess I need to get to work on more soundproofing too since I have only done the spare tire well so far.

Andretti

Last edited by Andretti1; 6/23/10 at 09:01 AM.
Old 6/23/10, 09:26 AM
I don't do trannies
or rear-ends anymore!

Sorry I'm late to the party, speakers look great! Any reason you didn't swap to round speakers while you were upgrading? I was always told that they sound better than the oval speakers, even if they are smaller in size. Maybe there isn't much merit to that though?

When I upgrade I'd like to used some JL C5's, but these seem like a much more affordable bang for your buck!
Old 6/24/10, 07:47 AM
Bullitt Member

In my ignorance I can say I have NO idea if thats true about the circle speakers verses the oval ones, but I can see how that might be true. I replaced the oval ones with similar ones because I am specifically upgrading to the 'Shelby Premium Sound' that is offered through shelby (I bought the stuff elsewhere though). I know the hole for the speakers on the rear deck are oval in shape as well and I did not want to have to worry about fabbing or somehow cutting things to get the speakers to fit. The new upgraded ones fit just like the stock ones and probably only took 40 min or so to install specifically because the back window makes putting in the screws in the rear of the speakers rather tough.

The subs in the doors are evidently a bit larger than the stock ones and although I could have purchased the subs on ebay or somewhere else, I am under the impression that the original covers wont fit like stock over the new kickers (though that too could be wrong) . I decided I wasn't going to find out the hard way so I just ordered them through a place that sold the covers along with the new door subs.

Andretti
Old 6/24/10, 01:45 PM
I don't do trannies
or rear-ends anymore!

I know that they make adapters that are very inexpensive, but that's neither here nor there I was just curious because of all the different kinds I have looked at! The door subs are larger (at the moment I have the Shelby replacements) but it is a depth issue. The stock covers won't fit at all, the new covers are around 4" deeper than the stockers. I was hoping the install would be clean enough I could run it without the cover, but I wasn't satisfied with that look so the covers went on.

If you haven't installed the door subs yet they are a breeze, the hardest part is putting the door skins back on after you replace them, they add a few pounds and it's fun to finagle them to align with the holes.
Old 6/24/10, 05:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Do the Shelby subs stick out so much that they touch your leg when driving? Any pics of them installed?
Old 6/24/10, 06:15 PM
GT Member

Do the Shelby subs stick out so much that they touch your leg when driving? Any pics of them installed?
They do stick out a bit more than the stock ones but the sound is so much better I can live with it. I have pics posted of mine on another thread on this forum.
Old 7/1/10, 03:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

So I installed 4 Kicker KS680s in my 06 GT with the Shaker 500 head unit. For now the door subs are stock. While I agree with the OP that the sound quality is better, the problem I now have is that the factory EQ settings are horrible for these speakers. Way too much far end treble and bass, not nearly enough midrange. For example, the drum cymbals are nice and clear, but the guitar is muffled. If I try to just turn up the treble on the HU, the guitar sounds good, but the cymbal is way harsh. Same for the low end - bass drum is too boomy, but if I lower it so it sounds okay, then the bass guitar is weak. Looks like I need a new HU with a customizable EQ to really get things to sound right.
Old 7/1/10, 07:42 PM
Bullitt Member

I got and installed my new 8" Kicker Door subs today.

I've got to say, that initially when I did a sound check after installing the first sub I figured I must have wired it wrong since I couldnt even tell if the sub was working. Once getting it back apart, I realized I did have it connected correctly and decided to just put it completely back together and go to work on the other door sub.

Glad I did.....I really think there is a DEFINATE and noticable sound improvement. I have the Shaker 1000, have already put in the KS680's a few weeks ago, and have NOT installed the 4.1amp (its suppose to arrive tomorrow). Overall, I am very pleased with the results from the subs, and since the speakers are also 'new', I think my overall system is really alot nicer. I did notice that when playing a song with the car not running...for the first time the interior lights would dim pretty much every time the door subs would hit. This is definately different then what it would do prior to changing out to these.

I'll post a few pics if anyone requests, but till someone does I'll just say...follow the directions. It really is that easy.

When I get the amp installed I'll post again talking about that.

Andretti
Old 7/1/10, 07:57 PM
V6 Member

So I installed 4 Kicker KS680s in my 06 GT with the Shaker 500 head unit. For now the door subs are stock. While I agree with the OP that the sound quality is better, the problem I now have is that the factory EQ settings are horrible for these speakers. Way too much far end treble and bass, not nearly enough midrange. For example, the drum cymbals are nice and clear, but the guitar is muffled. If I try to just turn up the treble on the HU, the guitar sounds good, but the cymbal is way harsh. Same for the low end - bass drum is too boomy, but if I lower it so it sounds okay, then the bass guitar is weak. Looks like I need a new HU with a customizable EQ to really get things to sound right.

I think the new Shelby/Kicker amplifier has different DSP settings for the new speakers. That might be why the new speakers don't sound "right" with the old amps.
Old 7/1/10, 08:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Kobie
I think the new Shelby/Kicker amplifier has different DSP settings for the new speakers. That might be why the new speakers don't sound "right" with the old amps.
Yea, I'm considering the Shelby amp. I'm just concerned that, although I'm sure it will improve things, I'm still stuck with one EQ curve (other than Bass/Treble on HU). I'm pretty picky, so I may be better with a new HU that has an adjustable EQ.
Old 7/1/10, 08:44 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm HEAVILY leaning towards ordering the trunk sub in the next few days....I'm just trying to avoid the inevitable 'wife aggro' that usually results after purchasing high dollar stuff for the mustang.

If the amp arrives tomorrow, I'm gonna do my best to put it in asap.

Andretti

Quick Reply: Improved Shaker 1000... Pics