05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

I want to share a good experience!

Search this Thread

Old 2/19/08, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to share a good experience!

Back in October, I read a post somewhere about neon lights for the inside of your trunk. I thought they looked cool, and didn't like how dark my trunk was, so I ordered a set.

Things got crazy at work, the weather turned nasty, and I stopped doing mods to the Stang for a while. A week ago Sunday, while I was doing some other stuff to the car, I decided to slap these in. I found that I had white lights, instead of the blue ones I had ordered.

I e-mailed Barry at GT Concepts, who I had ordered the lights from. He replied, no problem, send them back and I'll send you blue ones. This was a full FOUR MONTHS after I had set the box on the shelf in my garage!!

I had the new lights by Friday, no charge, even though I had offered to pay for shipping. What awesome customer service!

Here are before and after pics, with no flash or extra lighting. It will be nice to be able to see inside the trunk! The pics don't do it justice, but you can definitely see that it is brighter in there now.
Attached Thumbnails I want to share a good experience!-trunk-lights-002.jpg   I want to share a good experience!-trunk-lights-003.jpg  
Old 2/19/08, 10:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Pretty cool, how do they hook up and stuff like that?
Old 2/19/08, 10:13 PM

There's two tubes, as big around as a pencil and about a foot long, and a control module, the size of a deck of cards. They just velcro to the roof of your trunk. Two wires to splice into the existing trunk wiring. Takes like 10 minutes, and that's including wiping all of the mounting surfaces down with rubbing alcohol first.

They're at www.gtconcepts.net
Old 2/19/08, 10:45 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
that's awesome, I really like hearing about good trusting companies these days.
Old 2/19/08, 10:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

alloygt, looks good! could you post some pics of the trunk lid where the lights are actually attached? wondering how obvious they are to see. thanks man.

edit: i went to the website. i see how it is attached. looks good and a good price... plus apparently good service. can't beat that combo!
Old 2/19/08, 11:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by AlloyGT
There's two tubes, as big around as a pencil and about a foot long, and a control module, the size of a deck of cards. They just velcro to the roof of your trunk. Two wires to splice into the existing trunk wiring. Takes like 10 minutes, and that's including wiping all of the mounting surfaces down with rubbing alcohol first.

They're at www.gtconcepts.net
Thanks For the info!!
Old 2/19/08, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by sound wave
alloygt, looks good! could you post some pics of the trunk lid where the lights are actually attached? wondering how obvious they are to see. thanks man.

edit: i went to the website. i see how it is attached. looks good and a good price... plus apparently good service. can't beat that combo!

Yeah, they're not mounted to the trunk lid. They're on the inside of the trunk, behind the speakers but before you get to the lip of the trunk opening. They're recessed so you can't see them without bending over and sticking your head in the trunk. They're also up out of the way so you don't have to worry about hitting them with lawn chairs, grocery bags or bodies.

And excellent service!

I still can't get over the fact that he was willing to exchange them after four months...I fully expected him to tell me, sorry dude, but it's been too long.
Old 2/19/08, 11:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That just shows you that good customer service will pay dividends. He went out of his way to help you, and in return he is getting a ton of free advertising, plus probably a few extra orders for his products from the guys on this board. 1 good deed, and he has already been rewarded.
Old 2/20/08, 12:28 AM

That was my intent in posting this...I read a lot of posts about people having problems with vendors, and I'd like to see more about good experiences.

This guy really did treat me better than he had to, and if he gets more business because of that, that's a good thing!
Old 2/20/08, 01:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

well, i just placed my order. hopefully all goes well.

edit: kind of on topic, does anyone know where i can get an easy-to-install interior footwell light kit? like one of those 10 minute deals? thanks.
Old 2/20/08, 06:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
thanks for the link
Old 2/20/08, 06:13 AM

Sounds like a great dealer.

Not to threadcrap, but I believe these are just 12V, 12" CCFL kits that many people put in their computers. I had a set in my old computer, and they cost $5-$6 + S/H (http://www.svc.com/logisys-12ccfl.html)

Even comes with the adhesive on the CCFL's and velcro for the power inverter.

But yeah, the guy(s) at GTConcepts seem very honorable and customer-oriented, so I have nothing against giving them a few bucks for being a good retailer. Also, if you are not able to figure out how to wire it to the factory harness to turn on/off with the trunk opening, the extra $25 is well worth the support you will probably receive.

Just giving you guys a heads up for anyone who has some basic wiring experience and wanted to save cash.
Old 3/15/08, 07:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

update: i was contacted after the order was placed and i was told that he didn't have any white in stock. well, i ended up cancelling my order.

i ended up ordering one of those $6 ebay (can't remeber the shipping cost) 20" white neon tubes that run on 12v and it had a cigarette lighter adapter. i installed it today. i ended up just cutting off the adapter and wiring the positive and negative to the trunk light wires. the yellow/white and black wires. i just used 3m emblem tape on the back and stuck it on the ceiling of the trunk in the back. really quick and easy. works great... although it is still daytime here so i don't know how bright it really is.

thanks for the idea krnpimpsta.

still, i agree with alloygt about gt concept's customer service. barry immediately informed me of the ordering problem and promptly refunded my money. he even offered me the option of installing the light, trying it out for a while, and if i didn't like it, he would refund my money. cool guy.
Old 3/20/08, 06:22 AM

Inspired by this thread I ordered a ccfl set off ebay and installed it last night. I'me very pleased with the results. Less than $10 total.

Old 3/20/08, 10:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

yup, that is how mine looks too. couldn't even see the back of the trunk before. now the whole thing lights up. huge difference.
Old 3/20/08, 12:49 PM
GT Member

Got a link to the Auction for the lights, I really want to do this to, BTW how many of us have a Cali-Duster in the back of our stangs? One has been living in my trunk since I bought the car!
Old 3/20/08, 01:14 PM

This is the auction I bought from:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=009

Search on eBay for "cathode" and you'll find all the active auctions.
Old 3/21/08, 01:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
OK, Barry got some of my business. I ordered a set of white lights just now. I hate how dark my trunk is... Checking out his customer service!