05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

I need some speaker advice!

Search this Thread

Old 9/3/06, 10:59 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need some speaker advice!

OK,
So after several searched on the forum, I decided to replace all 4 speakers with the Infinity 6812s a couple of months ago. It was a huge improvement in sound over the stock speakers, but for me the sound still isn't right. The sound is very clear, but the Infinitys have too much treble for my ears. I had to turn down the treble to about a 3 on the scale, but with some music, especially CDs or MP3 recordings, it still sounds too sharp. I want to keep the Shaker HU for the stock look as well as the 6 in dash CD setup. Does anyone have advice on a better all around sounding speaker?
Thanks for your help!
Old 9/3/06, 07:25 PM
Cobra Member

Budget?

The Infinity speakers are decent, but they lack low-end in a horrible way. My suggestion is to leave a pair in the rear, and sell the front ones. Add a small amplifier and use http://www.bostonacoustics.com/car/c...product_id=264

Those are by far the best 6x8 replacements I have ever heard- since they're essentially Boston components on an adapter plate. Not cheap, but fantastic for direct drop in. I don't think they'd do very well on the factory power, however.

For the best I' can think of off factory power, look at the http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/produ...cat=&id=20&p=2
They fit with the included adapter and sound very good.

If you're looking to stay fairly cheap, look into Pioneer coaxes. Very good sound for the money.
Old 9/3/06, 08:26 PM
Bullitt Member

I just put four MB Quart DKF168 6x8's in my 07 powered by a Sony headunit and they sound pretty good for the money. I landed them on ebay new for $79 a pair. I was supprised because usually Quart speakers are a little bright due to the titanium tweeters but these sound very smooth. They do seem a little power hungry so I will be adding a separate amp for them later on. Here is link to some info on the speakers.
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=16054
Old 9/3/06, 08:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Infinity
Budget?

The Infinity speakers are decent, but they lack low-end in a horrible way. My suggestion is to leave a pair in the rear, and sell the front ones. Add a small amplifier and use http://www.bostonacoustics.com/car/c...product_id=264

Those are by far the best 6x8 replacements I have ever heard- since they're essentially Boston components on an adapter plate. Not cheap, but fantastic for direct drop in. I don't think they'd do very well on the factory power, however.

For the best I' can think of off factory power, look at the http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/produ...cat=&id=20&p=2
They fit with the included adapter and sound very good.

If you're looking to stay fairly cheap, look into Pioneer coaxes. Very good sound for the money.
What Amplifer would you suggest for the Boston set up?
Old 9/4/06, 07:02 PM
Cobra Member

100+ rms.
Old 9/5/06, 02:43 PM
GT Member

Infinity,
Thanks for the advice and the links.....I'll check them out this evening.....
Old 9/5/06, 03:23 PM
Cobra Member

They are expensive, but they sound fabulous. Also, more power on Boston's = more bettah'.
Old 9/7/06, 02:25 PM
Bullitt Member

They are expensive, but they sound fabulous. Also, more power on Boston's = more bettah'.
I checked a sight about this speaker(the BA's) and it said they didn't fit. Any suggestions and also where to purchase. Thanks
Old 9/7/06, 08:04 PM
Cobra Member

I found them locally, but Crutchfield carries them. You can occasionally find them on e-bay. Bostaon is quite **** about where their products are sold. Why would those not fit? I cannot understand why anyone couldn't install those in ANY 6x8 hole. They're shallow, and have no tweeter protrusion.
Old 9/7/06, 08:37 PM
Bullitt Member

I found them locally, but Crutchfield carries them. You can occasionally find them on e-bay. Bostaon is quite **** about where their products are sold. Why would those not fit? I cannot understand why anyone couldn't install those in ANY 6x8 hole. They're shallow, and have no tweeter protrusion.
Thats what I thought to about the size. But it was actual Crutchfield's site that said they wouldn't fit. Thanks again.
Old 9/8/06, 06:03 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by GOFISCH
Thats what I thought to about the size. But it was actual Crutchfield's site that said they wouldn't fit. Thanks again.
They probably say that, as you would have to modify the speaker enclosure on the door panel. There are four tabs that I had to trim off to get my components to fit. I am just guessing, but it sounds reasonable.
Old 9/8/06, 06:16 AM
Cobra Member

Oh, yeah. I forgot those. I had to do the same. they came right off by just bending them with a pair of pliers, then I scraped it smooth with a utility knife. They're only there to make factory installation faster/
Old 9/8/06, 07:31 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Oh, yeah. I forgot those. I had to do the same. they came right off by just bending them with a pair of pliers, then I scraped it smooth with a utility knife. They're only there to make factory installation faster/
Yep, I scored mine with a razor knife then snapped them off, nice and clean.
Old 9/8/06, 06:04 PM
Bullitt Member

There is a ton of amps rated at 100rms, which is good and do I need a two channel to power both front speakers? Where would be a good place to mount it? Sorry guys, obviously I know near nothing about this. I really want the sound to be clearer and sharper and this sounds good to me so far, while keeping the Stock HU. Thanks
Old 9/9/06, 02:40 AM

I can vouch for the Boston SL80's. Sound to my taste (Rock & Metal) was better than Focals and Diamond Audio components selling for twice the $$. I only had to trim off the stock bracket tabs, and add some 1/4" foam to keep the door panels off the speakers.
Attached Thumbnails I need some speaker advice!-dsc_0778.jpg  
Old 9/9/06, 01:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by By-Tor
I can vouch for the Boston SL80's. Sound to my taste (Rock & Metal) was better than Focals and Diamond Audio components selling for twice the $$. I only had to trim off the stock bracket tabs, and add some 1/4" foam to keep the door panels off the speakers.
Did you use the stock HU? Did you had an amp as suggested? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 9/9/06, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by GOFISCH
Did you use the stock HU? Did you had an amp as suggested? Inquiring minds want to know.
I'm all aftermarket... see my signature. I used a MTX Thunder564 Amp to drive four of the Boston's, but only because I had it from a previous install. There are more effecient/cleaner amps (Boston, Zapco, JL Audio were some of the other brands I was entertaining) out there for more money of course, and everyone has thier own preference. I listen to it loud with no distortion, and the amps run cool mounted to the back of the rear seats. They're conservatively rated at 45W RMS which works well with the speaker rating of 65W RMS.
Old 9/9/06, 06:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by By-Tor
I'm all aftermarket... see my signature. I used a MTX Thunder564 Amp to drive four of the Boston's, but only because I had it from a previous install. There are more effecient/cleaner amps (Boston, Zapco, JL Audio were some of the other brands I was entertaining) out there for more money of course, and everyone has thier own preference. I listen to it loud with no distortion, and the amps run cool mounted to the back of the rear seats. They're conservatively rated at 45W RMS which works well with the speaker rating of 65W RMS.
Oh sorry, I'm a dork, I should have read your sig first. Is it one amp per pair of speakers? I ask because you said "the ampS run cool" and you have four of the Bostons. Thanks Nevermind I read your sig better. :P