05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

GT 500 Pedal Covers?

Search this Thread

Old 9/9/06, 12:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GT 500 Pedal Covers?

I think it's CDC that's selling GT 500 look-a-like pedal covers. They look pretty good, but it's hard to tell what color they are. Are they brushed aluminum/or stainless. Or do they have a titanium (gold) color to them?
Old 9/9/06, 12:21 PM

They're brushed aluminum - for some reason thier pics are off on the web site.
Old 9/9/06, 06:24 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
You can find them on eBay for less than half what CDC is charging.
Old 9/9/06, 07:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks guys. I think I might go for them. They're not too pricey and look pretty good.
Old 9/9/06, 08:28 PM
GT Member

I installed these last night. They are very high quality, and look sooo such better than stock. I almost went with the ultimate pedals a few months ago, but I'm glad I waited for these. They look like they came with the car, and the fit is very tight. Having said that, the brake & clutch covers were a huge PITA to get on! My main problem was that I didn't have a good tool to work the rubber around the edges. Even with the hot water & soap method, it was difficult. I picked up an angled tool that resembles a screw driver from Autozone, but the problem was that it was a bit too long. Every time I would get it under the rubber and start to work it down, the other end hit the floor, just before the rubber was to go over the lip. If that thing were only an inch shorter the job would have been much easier. All my screw drivers were also too long. After some cursing and a few beers, I was able to get them on by using just a flat screwdriver bit and some brute force. This of course means no leverage, and thus my fingertips are sore as hell today. But they do look great!
Old 9/9/06, 09:47 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I put a similar set (Mach 1) on my '03 so I had a little bit of experience when I did mine. I used the hot water & soap method before and got the same difficult reults. However, when I installed the GT500 covers on the '05 it went a LOT easier. The difference? It was 98 degrees outside. I layed the covers on the dash, rolled up the windows and left the car sitting outside. After they heated up it was fairly simple compared to the hot water method.
Old 9/10/06, 10:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

I know exactly what you mean guys. I did the Mach 1 pedal cover install in my '96. Those rubber/plastic lips on the pedals are murder. I'm about 6'2'' and I just love crawling under the steering wheel and twisting myself into a pretzel.

The covers will eventually go on there. Heat helps, but if I remember right, the soap made it more difficult for me. Because, it would start to slip off the side you had just put on when you tried to pry it over the opposite corner. I think I just warmed them up, got them over the top corners and one bottom corner. Then, I used a Nylon windshield installing tool (kind of shaped like a Nylon knife). With work, they went on.
Old 9/10/06, 03:50 PM
GT Member

Another bad thing I noticed about the soap method was that while it was too slippery at first, once the soapy mixture started drying, it made the surface a bit sticky, which in turn made it more difficult.......
Old 9/11/06, 06:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think everybody who owns a Mustang should have to install those covers at least once. It's like a rite of passage, or test of courage. If you can get those covers on there, you can do anything.
Old 9/11/06, 07:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Geezzz, I ordered the GT 500 look-a-like pedals a couple of days ago.
Looking forward to installing them....... I think!
Old 9/12/06, 10:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Mine went on quite easily... I used a heat gun (carefully!) and warmed the cover up... with a little finesse it slipped on quite nicely! One of the quickest and nicest "in" mods of done as of yet! Ohhh, and i got mine on e-bay for almost 1/2 the price as well! Awesome stuff!
Old 9/12/06, 05:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Well, I paid full price, but love 'em....

Old 9/13/06, 09:50 AM
Bullitt Member

There was a thread on this before. Use a cotter pin extractor tool for the install. Worked great for me.
Old 9/13/06, 07:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the pic AFChief. They do look nice. Mine are on the way.

Don't pay any attention to my complaints about the difficulty of installing these types of pedals. I grouse a lot. It's really not that difficult. They'll go on there one way or another. And once they're on, you never have to worry about them again.
Old 9/13/06, 10:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Mine are looking pretty beat up after a few months. Does anybody have any tips on how to clean them?
Old 9/14/06, 07:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

I don't have mine yet, but if they're scratched they may buff up with some Mothers wheel polish or Flitz.
Old 9/15/06, 02:44 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Northwest GT
Thanks for the pic AFChief. They do look nice. Mine are on the way.

Don't pay any attention to my complaints about the difficulty of installing these types of pedals. I grouse a lot. It's really not that difficult. They'll go on there one way or another. And once they're on, you never have to worry about them again.

I agree.....they were well worth the effort!
Old 9/17/06, 05:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Just got those covers on there. Used only one tool...Gorilla hands. The rubber was room temp, maybe 72, and after my trying to wrestle the lip over the corners a couple of times it was nice and soft. By pushing down on the front of the cover and working at the lip from behind I could kind of roll the rubber over the edge. Nothing to it (he says before getting treatment for torn finger ligaments)

They do look nice, and I was surprised to see that they had a FOMOCO part number. I thought CDC was actually making them.
Old 9/23/06, 12:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

So I finally received and installed my GT 500 pedals.
It took me 5-10 minutes max to install. No soap or pliers necessary.
They fit like a glove.
Attached Thumbnails GT 500 Pedal Covers?-017.jpg  
Old 9/23/06, 06:00 PM
GT Member

rite of passage?

Originally Posted by Northwest GT
I think everybody who owns a Mustang should have to install those covers at least once. It's like a rite of passage, or test of courage. If you can get those covers on there, you can do anything.
I wish I knew I was undergoing a test of character when I embarked on the mission. These were an absolute PITA. They are a tight fit, to say the least.

The real problem, as you pry these on, is the concern while doing it of whether the rubber will separate from the pedal. And, whether my vertebrae would separate from my spine. I did think there was a real good chance of trashing the pedals while installing them.

They are a quality piece, but not a very visible mod.

Quick Reply: GT 500 Pedal Covers?