05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Good experience: Dynamatting rear deck

Search this Thread

Old 2/21/08, 11:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good experience: Dynamatting rear deck

I just wanted to share my good experience with Dynamat. I did my doors and was reasonably happy, but yesterday I did my rear deck and I'm thrilled. With Infinity Kappa 6x8s, it was rattling like you wouldn't believe, enough to almost overpower the sound coming out of the speakers. Particularly, most of it seemed to be coming from the very back, where the metal deck meets the window area. It's super quiet now!
Old 2/21/08, 01:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have any pictures you can post showing placement of the dynamat?

Thanks
Old 2/21/08, 02:09 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dynamat does wonders, even in small amounts. I have been using that stuff for years and put some in the trunk last year to help control the rattles caused from the Shaker 1000 subs. I need to get some more though as I found more rattles just before storing the car.
Old 2/21/08, 06:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Would this help with toning out an off-road exhaust?
Old 2/21/08, 07:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Larmo
Would this help with toning out an off-road exhaust?
not sure about that, but imo it definately quiets the drone from my frpp/borla stingers. i have only done the trunk and under the rear seats. if i did the whole interior, i know it would make an even bigger difference.
Old 2/21/08, 09:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by sound wave
not sure about that, but imo it definately quiets the drone from my frpp/borla stingers. i have only done the trunk and under the rear seats. if i did the whole interior, i know it would make an even bigger difference.
Cali HP Addict and I have been talking about doing the trunk and the rear seats to combat drone too. I am going to buy some Damplifier Pro in the spring and try it out I think.
Old 2/21/08, 09:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by shatter
You have any pictures you can post showing placement of the dynamat?
Sorry, I didn't take any pictures, but I basically put it everywhere possible on the rear deck. I even covered all of the holes, except the speaker holes. I took the speakers out, put Dynamat around the speaker holes, and put the speakers back in. This all seems to have quieted road noise down some, and I can't hear my Flowmasters quite as much. I have no idea why those square holes are there, other than to let noise through.

The only bad thing about Dynamat is that it quiets stuff down so much that you can hear other parts rattling.
Old 2/22/08, 08:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by sound wave
How much did it cost you for all that dynamat and exactly how much dynamat did you use?
Old 2/22/08, 01:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
How much did it cost you for all that dynamat and exactly how much dynamat did you use?
umm... it has been a while, but i think i bought 3 rolls of it. iirc, it was 4 square feet worth each. came up to around $100 or so from best buy. would have bought more, but i cleaned them out.

it wasn't enough to cover the entire surface of the trunk and under seat, but i tried to get the major areas. i did a tap test with a screwdriver before and after placing the dynamat on each panel. it definitely dulls the sound. kind of went from a high "tik tik tik" sound to a low "tok tok tok"... hard to explain. i would have preferred to cover all the exposed metal, but i ran out of the stuff. maybe i will buy a few more rolls some day and finish it up.

oh yeah, just a reminder for everybody. it has been said before, but it is worth mentioning again. USE GLOVES!! the first time around i was fingerpainting the dynamat with my blood.
Old 2/22/08, 11:32 PM
Cobra Member

I've heard of people using ice-guard but I haven't actually seen the stuff. I would also like to look at the spray on stuff for the top of my trunk lid but was thinking the mat stuff for the hidden areas.

Here's a suggestion on ice-guard.

http://www.teamrocs.com/technical/pa...d_proofing.htm