05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

fishing speaker wire to front doors

Search this Thread

Old 8/9/06, 12:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question fishing speaker wire to front doors

Ok....I spent some time today looking at and attempting to fish new speaker wire to the front drivers side door (just took a peek at the passenger door)to no avail. How the heck did anyone who upgraded their system pull it off? I tried just pushing the wire, feeding a large zip tie thru, using some metal snake wire, none of which could I get thru. I would appreciate any suggestions you all may have.

I've already got my new JVC head unit in, three of the four new pioneer 3-way 6x8's installed, my three sets of rca cables run down the driver's side, I ran 2 sets of 14gauge speaker wire down the passenger side and I've used up my left over dynamat I had while waiting for my bulk order of dynamat extreme to arrive.

One more question, how did anyone here hook up their power wire to the battery considering it's got an 8gauge and two what appears to be 6 gauge wires already going to it?

Thanks everyone.
Old 8/9/06, 01:24 PM
Bullitt Member

My bad for not searching 1st. I'm going thru a few posts where people have done installs and stated the same that it's a complete pita to get new wire to the doors.
Old 8/9/06, 06:46 PM
Cobra Member

I tapped into the factory wiring behind the radio and in the driver's kickpanel. I lost about a pint of blood trying to get the wires into the doors, and finally realized that I didn't really need to do so. The factory wire is fairly stout stuff.
Old 8/10/06, 10:37 AM
Bullitt Member

I was thinking about that, but it'd be a waste considering I have already ran the wire from the trunk to the front of the car. I'm going to give it a shot this saturday & sunday, if no luck then I'll go that route and only use my new wire for the rear speakers.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 8/11/06, 09:26 AM
Cobra Member

In the door jam, remove the rubber boot that goes over the plate. Once that has been removed, there is a gray plastic plate there with all the wiring for the door going through it. I though that was one side of a plug, but it is not. There is a plug on the "car" side of the hole that snaps in to that plate. But the plate itself is not a plug. It is merely a holder for the actual plug. So I popped the gray plate out of the hole, and with a small flat blade screwdriver I lifted the clips that hold the plug to the plate. Once they were separated, you can then stick your speaker wiring through the plate. The plug does not have to be snapped in to the back side of that plate. Looks like it is more for tension relief than anything else. And really doesn't do much for that either because the wires hold themselves up.
Anyway, by doing that you have room to run your wires. Just snap the plate back in to place and put the boot back on once you get the wiring through the rubber tube that goes to the door.
Old 8/11/06, 01:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1 - I was able to get four 12 gauge wires through the clip and still snap it back onto the plug on both sides. I would suggest wrapping the black boot back around the clip before snapping the assembly back into the body. There's a lip that goes around the backside and its easier to get it on while it's free from the body. (So I am a perfectionist...)

Wear some gloves, or something on the back of your hands, too. Fishing the wire up through the dash and body cavities is where you'll get sliced up.
Old 8/11/06, 08:19 PM
Bullitt Member

I actually got pretty sliced up just installing my Dynamat Xtreme today. that dang foil on it is SHARP!!! I got my power wire run(4 guage thru the grommet below the battery). I'm going to give the speaker wire one more attempt Sunday with the suggestions above.

Thanks.
Old 8/13/06, 08:08 PM
Bullitt Member

My goodness getting the wire thru the driver's side was a HUGE PAIN IN THE ****!!!!! It took me about 2 hours for that one and I'm going to attempt the passenger side tomorrow after work. I have to ask if you all reconnected the inner plastic piece back onto the outer one? I wasn't able to get it out to reconnect them so I only put the boot back over the outer piece and then pushed it back in.
Old 8/13/06, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dysan
My goodness getting the wire thru the driver's side was a HUGE PAIN IN THE ****!!!!! It took me about 2 hours for that one and I'm going to attempt the passenger side tomorrow after work. I have to ask if you all reconnected the inner plastic piece back onto the outer one? I wasn't able to get it out to reconnect them so I only put the boot back over the outer piece and then pushed it back in.
Yep... that's how it's done.
Old 8/14/06, 01:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep - I got the inner plastic piece back onto the outer one after I ran the wires through. I snapped the two pieces back together first, then put the boot on, then pushed it back into the body.