05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Faulty PIE unit - No Aux Audio?

Search this Thread

Old 4/15/07, 08:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Faulty PIE unit - No Aux Audio?

So I ordered my PIE adapter for my Zune mp3 player and spent 2 hours fighting the install today with the help of this guide:

http://www.jtephoto.com/mustang/idiots_guide/Idiots.htm

After hooking everything up, I get a "No Aux Audio" message on the radio. Reading around I found this may be due to a faulty ground, and the only possible difference is where the ground goes, either connected to a wire in the center power plug or to the chassis. I tried both and neither made any difference. I did not solder the connections, rather I used a tap splice and got a good connection.

So based on that, I'm assuming that maybe I have a faulty unit? Could it be DOA? Not sure how to test to see if it's a good unit or not, but I only need to make 2 connections, and I checked, re-checked, re-checked, re-checked and checked again. <Forrest Gump> I'm not a smart man /<Forrest Gump> but I think it's not the power or ground connections.

Any thoughts from the people who have installed the PIE adapters already? Any tips you can give me to get this working? Should I just return it for a new one? Don't want to deal with removing and installing, but it doesn't work now.

Appreciate the help!
Old 4/16/07, 08:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to have the PIE for my external SIRIUS unit but I eventually got the OEM SIRIUS kit from KC.

When I did have the PIE though, every now and then it would crap out (once a month or so). The fix was simply to pull the fuse for the power source (for the dashboard power point its a 20 amp fuse in the fuse box under the hood) and reinsert it. That "rebooted" the PIE. A more permanent fix was to hook into a power source that went off with the ignition just like the radio and windows. (do a search in the forum since I saw someone posted how to do that once)

Another thing to try (and I can't remember if this was an issue with the PIE or not), but I know that for the SIRIUS unit I have now, you have to turn head unit on via the volume/power first button before selecting AUX rather than just pressing AUX. Otherwise you get the "no aux audio" msg.

Another thing to try is to just make sure that all the wires for the harnesses are secure. Not just the connectors but the wires that go into the harnesses. I heard of people having that problem too.

If it's not any of those, I really can't imagine what it is other than the unit being dead.
Old 4/16/07, 04:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the reply. Yes I have done all of those things (other than switching the power source to the windows). Connections are solid, I have unplugged the PIE, reset connections, disconnected the battery, etc. so I feel confident that it has definitely been "rebooted" to date.

I'm wondering, since the 07 models' have the AUX input in the front of the radio, could I just buy an 07 Shaker 500 head unit? Of course, that assumes that the OEM head unit doesn't cost more than a brand new double din nav unit with mp3 player integration built in. Would rather just stay factory radio, but I REALLY want to plug in my mp3 player.
Old 4/16/07, 05:57 PM
GT Member

I just tried installing my PIE today and it did the same thing. "No AUX Audio". Called Crutchfield and they said that there is a possibility that mine is a defective unit. They're sending me a new one. We'll see if that helps me out any. Good luck to you with your PIE.
Old 4/16/07, 09:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Please keep me posted on that. My concern initially ordering from Crutchfield was that they bought a batch when they first came out and have the rev 1 models that were initially shipped, potentially in a rush and suffering from quality issues. Interesting that someone else is having the same problem. Maybe I'm not a moron after all? Obviously we'll pend judgement on that until we find out if your Crutchfield supplied unit was defective...
Old 4/16/07, 09:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Why not just get a Belkin type fm transmitter and plug it in to your mp3 and use channel 88.1/88.2 and so on ?
Old 4/17/07, 07:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt
Why not just get a Belkin type fm transmitter and plug it in to your mp3 and use channel 88.1/88.2 and so on ?
because the sound blows.

for the pie unit, you can get an updated chip from pie for it, i am about to put mine in.
Old 4/17/07, 11:41 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by azoufan
Please keep me posted on that. My concern initially ordering from Crutchfield was that they bought a batch when they first came out and have the rev 1 models that were initially shipped, potentially in a rush and suffering from quality issues. Interesting that someone else is having the same problem. Maybe I'm not a moron after all? Obviously we'll pend judgement on that until we find out if your Crutchfield supplied unit was defective...
Will do. I got a confirmation from them this morning that they had shipped my new one out. As soon as I get it and install it, I will post back.

Is there any way that you can tell if a unit is a rev 1 by looking at it?
Old 4/17/07, 01:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

If you open it, you can tell by what's written on the chip, but I forgot what its supposed to say lol. Ill look at my replacement chip and post up what it says.
Old 5/7/07, 09:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

So a really awesome and easy fix for this issue...

Take your car to the local car audio installation shop, pay them $40 to troubleshoot, go to lunch and wait for them to call you to say "uh, you hooked everything up correctly, I just plugged my iPod into it and everything works great, you can come pick up your car."

Glad it's working, but I absolutely HATE when things start to work for no reason. Been running it for 5 days straight and it works like a champ.