05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Factory Audio upgrade questions?

Search this Thread

Old 7/8/06, 09:53 PM
TDS
Super Moderator
TMS Staff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory Audio upgrade questions?

Have a '06 GT with shaker 500, if I swapout the factory speakers for aftermarkets. Something that fits back into the original mounting holes.
Whats good? and will the factory head unit run them. I am not a BASS head or a Rap cruiser. Just an old man wanting better than factory sound.

TDS
Old 7/9/06, 04:28 AM
GT Member

I assume you are talking about the 8" woofers in the doors? If you search for "door subs," my username, Infinity, RRRoamer, sonic thunder among others you will find a lot of info. Unfortunately there is no readily available drop-in solution just yet, we are working on some options.

I would recommend replacing the upper door speakers instead. It's a 4" mid and a 1" tweeter with an outboard crossover, so you could just get 2 mids and 2 tweeters and save on buying a full component set. You'd have to match response curves a bit but I can help you with this -- if you're not too picky almost anything of quality will sound better than the stock uppers IMO. You can also get some decent 5x7 or 6x8 coaxials and plug and play.
Old 7/9/06, 06:19 AM
TDS
Super Moderator
TMS Staff

Yes I was talking about the door woofers (8"). Is it a depth problem that want allow any 8" to fit? Looked at a Boston Acoustics seperate set at Crutchfield.com, looked interesting.
However I don't know about mounting depth or fitment.
The guy on the other end of the phone had no clue if it would work in a '06 GT, or if the factory shaker 500 would drive it.
TDS
Old 7/9/06, 06:37 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

This is a great question. I would like to upgrade my 8" door subs with something a little better as well.

I've already swapped out all the other factory speakers with Pioneers, even those where cheap and still MUCH better sounding than stock.

Of course, now that my Shaker 500 has 4 CD's stuck in it, I might be replacing the whole thing.
Old 7/9/06, 06:59 AM
GT Member

TDS, it's both a depth issue and magnet width issue -- the enclosure inside has a little shelf (I think to make room for the window rolling down) that gets in the way of many a driver.

the other issue is that the factory drivers are 2 ohms, dual voice coil. Finding a driver that will fit, has the same VC arrangement and impedance (to get any reasonable power out of the shaker 500 amps), and works well in a .42 ft^3 sealed box has proven to be quite a challenge. Again, do a search for the gory details