05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Easiest Shift Light to Install

Search this Thread

Old 8/30/12, 10:25 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easiest Shift Light to Install

I installed a TCI Ratchet Shifter and love it to death. I've been messing around shifting the car, but I've been going by ear so far. I try to keep an eye on the tach but I don't care much for looking away from the road when you're motoring along.

My question is which of the shift lights is easiest to install? I don't mind wiring things up to a radio, ambient lighting, etc so I don't mind a bit of work but some of the parts I've seen either have ridiculously complex installs or just cheesy appearances. Thanks so much!
Old 9/1/12, 09:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i dont think your gonna have much luck with a shift light. ive got a tci. its a nice shifter and its fun to play with but, the shifter only really makes a suggestion to the computer to follow through with the shift. the computer is still in control vs a manual clutch. if your at the track, watching the tach and knowing where your rev limiter is, is key if your going for the gusto. but even then, the computer settings are about right on the money. ex. my tune shifts at 6100, my rev lim is at 6300. ive hit 6200 using the shifter, but its really just a lucky shift cause of the delay. on the street, its not really a issue, its just fun to play with. might be a cool novelty having a light hooked up though.

Last edited by amustangrocks; 9/1/12 at 09:08 AM.
Old 9/2/12, 05:11 PM
V6 Member

Thanks for the reply mike! I really appreciate the info.
Old 9/2/12, 07:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by The Robfather
Thanks for the reply mike! I really appreciate the info.
thats just my take on it. i love the tci and bangin the shifter getting on the highway is alot of fun. (even though my trans in trashed) i dont think using the tci a little had anything to do with the trans. pretty sure its the trans case messed up with the servos. but thats another post

i kinda like the idea of having a shift light though, just as a novelty. so hopefully someone will chime in here and suggest a light and maybe how to install it. i know of this place, and they dont cost much either
http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/shift-lights.aspx
on a side note, i pulled my boot off my tci and it is indeed pretty nice leather. i dont know why they used a off color thread, but i might just have to offer boots for the tci with colored stitching, and black for mine

Last edited by amustangrocks; 9/2/12 at 09:40 PM.
Old 9/3/12, 12:39 PM
Cobra Member

Check out Raptor shift lights as they are fairly simple to install and are super easy to configure. I had one in my car for a while, but given the minimal use I just decided to use the shift light feature on my Aeorforce gauges.

Raptor Shift Light
Old 9/4/12, 02:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

hey doogie, those are a little pricier, maybe better though for the serious racer. but the install instructions on that link were great with pics for the different applications. couldnt be easier really to hook up on the 4.0 cause of the coil.
Old 9/4/12, 03:07 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by amustangrocks
on a side note, i pulled my boot off my tci and it is indeed pretty nice leather. i dont know why they used a off color thread, but i might just have to offer boots for the tci with colored stitching, and black for mine
Good to hear as I am more than likely going auto over the winter and a TCI shifter is a must have for this swap.

Originally Posted by amustangrocks
hey doogie, those are a little pricier, maybe better though for the serious racer. but the install instructions on that link were great with pics for the different applications. couldnt be easier really to hook up on the 4.0 cause of the coil.
Agreed they are a bit more expensive, but they are super simple to install and configure. They do pop up regularly on other forum classifieds for a lot less than new.

Last edited by Doogie; 9/4/12 at 03:09 PM.