05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Dynamatting my 2005 GT Convertible Project

Search this Thread

Old 4/8/08, 01:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Dynamatting my 2005 GT Convertible Project

Well, I finally got started putting in the dynamat in my vert. As all you vert owners know, there is little to no sound deadening in the vert trunk or interior. Not sure about you coupe owners. Anyway, I started this about 3 weeks ago. First I ran out of material after getting most of the front seat area finished (approx 40 square feet). After waiting for my next shipment to arrive, I started on the rear seat area (approx 34 square feet). Between the weather not cooperating (need warm weather to install without a heat gun) and my old body only taking so much crouching and bending and contorting, this project is taking forever!

As you can see from the photos, not only have I used dynamat, but I got some carpet underlayment as well and added it to the backside of the trunk floor cover thingy and the inside of the trunk taillight panel trim. My plan is to put the carpet underlayment on the backside of the two trunk quarter panel trim pieces as well, in addition to doing the trunk dynamat. I will post further pics as soon as I get more done. At the moment I am recuperating from twisting my ankle and throwing out my back.
Attached Thumbnails Dynamatting my 2005 GT Convertible Project-dscf0001_resize.jpg   Dynamatting my 2005 GT Convertible Project-dscf0002_resize.jpg   Dynamatting my 2005 GT Convertible Project-dscf0003_resize.jpg   Dynamatting my 2005 GT Convertible Project-dscf0004_resize.jpg   Dynamatting my 2005 GT Convertible Project-dscf0005_resize.jpg  

Dynamatting my 2005 GT Convertible Project-dscf0006_resize.jpg  
Old 4/8/08, 01:56 PM

Nice work! I am doing the same thing in a coupe. There is pretty much no sound proofing from the factory in it either. Like you, I am doing a little at a time. My knees aren't what they used to be!

Any trick to getting the front seats out? Mine have the side airbags.
Old 4/8/08, 02:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by rfurley
Nice work! I am doing the same thing in a coupe. There is pretty much no sound proofing from the factory in it either. Like you, I am doing a little at a time. My knees aren't what they used to be!

Any trick to getting the front seats out? Mine have the side airbags.
Thanks. I hear ya about the knees. Here are the instructions for the front side air bags. Of course, when I asked my dealer what procedures they use, they said they just pull the yellow plug! YIKES!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 4/8/08, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by 2k5GTC
Thanks. I hear ya about the knees. Here are the instructions for the front side air bags. Of course, when I asked my dealer what procedures they use, they said they just pull the yellow plug! YIKES!
That sounds about right for a dealer!!

Thanks for the information. I appreciate it.
Old 4/8/08, 02:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

Good luck, let me know the final results when you are finished. I also used carpet padding in the trunk, and I also put it inside the door panels with some 3M adhesive. Don't know if that really did anything but make a mess inside my doors...eventually I'd like to get some spray-on deadener and spray the whole interior and trunk.
Old 4/11/08, 11:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Holy cow! You really gutted that interior...

I am curious to see how it turns out. Looks like now would be a good time to change out your e-brake handle to the GT500 leather one...
Old 4/11/08, 12:13 PM
Cobra R Member

wow thats a lot of mat. any idea how much you have used so far? are you planining on doing the trunk as well?
Old 4/12/08, 06:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Cheese302
wow thats a lot of mat. any idea how much you have used so far? are you planining on doing the trunk as well?
I agree that is alot of mat. I guess I went a tad overboard, but what else do us early retired guys have to do all day. So far it has taken around 74 square feet of the extreme mat to do all you see in the pics. I have another 36 square foot bulk pack waiting in the wings to do the trunk and doors as soon as my injuries heal. Before you ask, each square foot of Dynamat Extreme weighs-in at 0.5825 lbs/sq ft.
Old 4/12/08, 06:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mrkabc
Holy cow! You really gutted that interior...

I am curious to see how it turns out. Looks like now would be a good time to change out your e-brake handle to the GT500 leather one...
I am not afraid to gut an interior. I have restored many cars and if you organize the parts that you take out it is easy to put back together. I considered the GT500 e-brake, but could not justify the cost vs benefit factor. To tell the truth, this is only the second time in the 3 years I have owned the car that I have actually USED the e-brake.
Old 4/12/08, 06:54 AM
Cobra R Member

thanks for the reply, i have been thinking about matting the trunk of mine to reduce exhaust drone, and less other noise to boot. i think i'll take it.
Old 4/18/08, 10:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Exclamation Update

Well, I have been back at it, working slowly as my body heals up. Here are a few more pics of my progress. I added the carpet underlayment on the inside of the quarter panel trim pieces. Since I ran out of the underlayment, I put carpet jute padding on the inside of the door panels (not sure if it will do any good) and on the back of the trunk liner trim pieces. That stuff is a bear to cut, but great for bending and shaping to the odd contours of those liners. The trunk lid will eventually have a cover that I have designed and am in the process of putting together. I just need to find some fabric that comes close to matching the other trim pieces so it doesn't look totally out of place, as well as figure out how to mount it.
Attached Thumbnails Dynamatting my 2005 GT Convertible Project-dscf0008-resize.jpg   Dynamatting my 2005 GT Convertible Project-dscf0009-resize.jpg   Dynamatting my 2005 GT Convertible Project-dscf0011-resize.jpg   Dynamatting my 2005 GT Convertible Project-dscf0012-resize.jpg  

Last edited by 2k5GTC; 4/18/08 at 10:52 AM.
Old 4/18/08, 11:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Dang, you been a busy boy. It is looking great and better than any dynamat job I have ever done. I am curious how much difference it will make after it is all together. I know it will be an improvement, I just wonder how much. I am fairly lazy so I probably would never do it.

I am also looking forward to seeing your trunk lid cover.

Looking good!!
Old 4/21/08, 05:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Smile Put it all back together...

WOW !! What a difference! I am soooo happy all my hard work paid off. My combination of Dynamat Extreme and carpet padding/jute pad did the trick. My exhaust drone... GONE! Body shivers and thunks over bumps and highway expansion joints... GONE! Passing a semi-trailer truck and hearing every one of those 18-wheels turning... GONE (well, mostly)! The Shaker 500 even sounds better. No more buzzing from the quarters or door panels. Woohoo!!

Here are the latest pics of my project. Even though I ran out of Dynamat before I could finish, the end results are outstanding. I still have the front wheel wells to silence as well as finish off the trunk, but that can all wait until I get back from Tennessee in a few weeks.

I figure all the Dynamat and padding I installed added about 67 lbs to the car. A fair trade-off in my opinion.
Attached Thumbnails Dynamatting my 2005 GT Convertible Project-dscf0014-resize.jpg   Dynamatting my 2005 GT Convertible Project-dscf0015-resize.jpg   Dynamatting my 2005 GT Convertible Project-dscf0016-resize.jpg   Dynamatting my 2005 GT Convertible Project-dscf0018-resize.jpg  

Last edited by 2k5GTC; 4/21/08 at 05:25 PM.
Old 4/24/08, 03:09 PM
V6 Member

how much more weight does all that dynamat put on your stang?? One of my friends is concerned with weight for his 2008 california special gt. I suggested using dynamat extreme around the front speakers and the midbass speaker since he's got the Shaker 500. I said that some dynamat extreme around those areas in the doors would help to eliminate the rattling if he were to replace the factory speakers with aftermarket speakers. Me personally, i would do the same thing as the OP and would get the bulk pack and line my floors, doors, trunk and rear deck area with dynamat extreme. I'm not too concerned with reducing weight, but hate the rattling caused by road noise and loud low frequencies as I like to have my bass full, rich & booming!!