05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Dynamat -- worth the time and money to install?

Search this Thread

Old 6/6/05, 08:05 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, I took the Defiant on his first road trip today (250 miles round trip) and couldn't help but notice exactly how difficult it is to talk to my passengers with OR without the windows down! As much as I adore my grumbling growling pony, it did get pretty annoying trying to carry on a conversation at highway speeds (60-85 mph).

My only mods are a single Newberry Coffin Muffler and K&N air filter. XCal2 tuner will be in the mail by the end of the week (as a side question, will a tune help my noise issue at all?) and either a JLT or C&L (probably whichever comes out with a V6 kit first) CAI will be my next step after that.

So, enough with the tangents, on to my actual question! I was wondering who, if anyone, has installed Dynamat sound dampening material in their '05 Stang? I've seen various packages of it for sale at L&M performance for $40-190... is it worth the price? How difficult will it be for me to install these bits (I've already added the cosmetic parts of the IUP, ripped off my door panels and reinstalled them twice, futzed with the pedal covers and have been caught several times spelunking under the hood but I'm no wrencher by any stretch of the imagination). What areas of the car should I concentrate on the most? Can this go directly on my muffler to kill some of the resonance rattle I get under a heavy load?

Thanks guys!

--=K
Old 6/6/05, 08:09 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally I'd think a dynamat trunk kit or something similar would help. I read elsewhere about someone thinking about applying a competing product called QuietCar (which is spray, roll, or brush on) but I know almost nothing about the product.

I've given serious thought to doing the same to my car so I know just how you feel. What I don't know is how much noise the dynamat will cut down overall. :scratch:
Old 6/7/05, 03:02 PM
Cobra Member

A mat product will work, but Dnamic Control-branded products are severly overpriced. Look for SecondSkin, E-dead, Raammat, BrownBread, or even Stinger Roadkill. All are equal or better products at a much lesser price. Dynamic Control sells on brand recognition. Right now, my favorite deadeners are the EDead v3 and the Second Skin Spectrum. They are liquid products that you brush/roll on. They will stick to plastics, leave no odor, and they won't melt all over when it gets hot outside. Also, they're about 30% of the weight for equal deadening. Good stuff.
Old 6/9/05, 01:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Good info, thx
Old 6/9/05, 04:16 PM
Cobra Member

I've applied DynaMat Extreme (not the original) to my last 3 vehicles and it works great at quieting down road noise in the cabin and elemination rattles due to high powered audio equipment.....but it is not cheap! I generally purchase the Dynamat Door kits that come with 4 sheet 12" x 36" and I probably have 5 or 6 total door kits in my '05 GT. For me it is worth the $$'s as I really don't like hearing road noise and like a more solid, quiet sound car (except for that sweeet V8 exhaust sound that is)! Good luck and I also install the Dynamat T.A.C. (Thermo Acoustical Cockpit liner) from Dynamt with the 3M Super90 sray adhesive to the back sides of all of my plastic interior panels - is a pretty good noise barrier as well and really helps to quiet down the car. When closing my doors now - they have a much more "solid" sound than B4.

I'm working on applying Dynamat to my new f-150 as we speak!!