05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Double DIN Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 5/17/05, 06:50 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been researching Double DIN units recently and I am having trouble choosing the right model. The choices out right now are the Kenwood DDX7015, the Eclipse AVN2454 and AVN5435, and the Pioneer AVICD1. If there are any that I forgot, I've never heard of them or seen them on these forums. Since I am new to car audio and video I don't know what products are reliable. But anyway back to my dilemma. I want Double DIN because the look of it in the '05 is so much better and looks so much cleaner than a regular flip up monitor. What I am looking for is DVD playback first and foremost. That rules out the Pioneer AVICD1. The Kenwood fills my needs, but from what I heard its 2V outlets aren't enough for the aftermarket stereo I plan on putting in. Does it matter if I am putting in an aftermarket amp anyway? If it can't handle the aftermarket subs/speakers then that rules the Kenwood out. Since I'm new to car audio and video, I'm not sure why the 2V isn't enough, but that's what I've heard. So that would leave me with the Eclipse. They both have navigation, which I don't really care about, but it adds to the price. Also, it is hard to find the Eclipses cheap, so if anyone knows where to get a good deal, please PM me. Whoever has had experience with the Kenwood or Eclipse, how did you like them?

In general let's try to make this the Official Double DIN thread if possible. So if anyone has anything to add, please feel free. Also, for those who have it installed, post those pics!
Old 5/17/05, 08:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

You could get the AVIC-D1 and then just buy a DSP or line driver to get higher voltage.

I really want the AVN5435 but the price is killing me. If anyone knows where to get it cheap I'm in. If not I'm going with the D1.
Old 5/17/05, 09:11 PM
GT Member

You could get the AVIC-D1 and then just buy a DSP or line driver to get higher voltage.

I really want the AVN5435 but the price is killing me. If anyone knows where to get it cheap I'm in. If not I'm going with the D1.
The D1 doesn't play DVDs so I'm not considering it. What price are you seeing the 5435 at? It's clearly the best on the market right now, but soo expensive.
Old 5/18/05, 12:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

if your not planning on going crazy with amps then the 2 volts will be enought for ya i put the kenwood in my wifes equanox and with the 500 watt db drive amp and one 12 inch sub it works perfect
Old 5/19/05, 05:10 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by vc4life@May 18, 2005, 12:17 AM
if your not planning on going crazy with amps then the 2 volts will be enought for ya i put the kenwood in my wifes equanox and with the 500 watt db drive amp and one 12 inch sub it works perfect
Well I was planning on going with a JL 300/4 and a 500/1. Will 2v be enough?
Old 5/19/05, 05:13 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by 2005 Black GT@May 17, 2005, 9:14 PM
The D1 doesn't play DVDs so I'm not considering it. What price are you seeing the 5435 at? It's clearly the best on the market right now, but soo expensive.
Well for me DVD playback isn't a big deal. I don't ever see myself watch a DVD while I drive and well the Mustang isn't a travel car. I'm thinking about hooking in a PS2 so maybe that can serve as a DVD player if I so choose.

As for the 5435 I'm getting quotes from local shops between $2200-2400. Then about 200 in labor and parts on top of that. On Ebay it seems to run around $1800.
Old 5/19/05, 11:12 AM
V6 Member

im in the exact same position as you.heres my sitiuation

i want first and foremost

1.DVD playback
2.not to get owned on the price
2.Navigation
3.Sirius/XM capability

i had my heart set on the kenwood DDX7015 also because i can get it for about $950 since my girl works at the store.Then the guy told me about the elclipse i think he was refering to the AVN5435 telling me i could get it for 1600.so now i have a predicament.i was something affordable like the kenwood for 950 but but for an extra 600 ill have navigation which alone goes for 1,000 usually.also ill have better sound quaility from what ive heard.

which of these two have better picture quality.is the eclipse really worth the 600 price difference.i dont make that much money but ive saved 1200 and was ready to pull the trigger on the kenwood but now im thinking i should save a little bit longer and get the eclipse.

is the eclipse the way to go like im thinking right now.the only beef i had with this situation is that when i look up the kenwood on e bay its going for like 1200.so ill be saving around 300 it for 950.when i look up the eclipse im seeing it for about 1550.thats the same price im gonna get from the store.this is where i dont know what to do.im low on cash and the kenwood is a good deal.the eclipse is better but im not gonna get such a great deal on it.
Old 5/19/05, 01:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
error
Old 5/19/05, 01:21 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by raekwon888@May 19, 2005, 11:15 AM
im in the exact same position as you.heres my sitiuation

i want first and foremost

1.DVD playback
2.not to get owned on the price
2.Navigation
3.Sirius/XM capability

i had my heart set on the kenwood DDX7015 also because i can get it for about $950 since my girl works at the store.Then the guy told me about the elclipse i think he was refering to the AVN5435 telling me i could get it for 1600.so now i have a predicament.i was something affordable like the kenwood for 950 but but for an extra 600 ill have navigation which alone goes for 1,000 usually.also ill have better sound quaility from what ive heard.

which of these two have better picture quality.is the eclipse really worth the 600 price difference.i dont make that much money but ive saved 1200 and was ready to pull the trigger on the kenwood but now im thinking i should save a little bit longer and get the eclipse.

is the eclipse the way to go like im thinking right now.the only beef i had with this situation is that when i look up the kenwood on e bay its going for like 1200.so ill be saving around 300 it for 950.when i look up the eclipse im seeing it for about 1550.thats the same price im gonna get from the store.this is where i dont know what to do.im low on cash and the kenwood is a good deal.the eclipse is better but im not gonna get such a great deal on it.
Alot of that price difference is because the Eclipse has the navigational unit built in to it. Don't get me wrong, the Eclipse is the cats butt for sure, but if the navigation is that far down on your list of wants, why not go ahead and get the Kenwood for now, and you can most likely get the navigation system at a later date for a reasonable price. I see the 4100s sell for less than $600 pretty frequently on fleabay, and the 3100s for $450 to $500 ( although I will admit I do not know what the difference between the two are ). And just for the record, I got my Kenwood DDX7015 off of ebay for $850, and it came with an unregistered warranty card. Your deal for $950 for brand new is a great deal, but unless you are just drawn to the brand new box, if you shop a little you can find a better deal.
Old 5/19/05, 07:19 PM
GT Member

raekwon888,

I'm in the same boat as you, and this is how I see it. I could go with the Kenwood for cheap, but I could also spend that extra couple hundred and get one of the top units now. The way I see it in my case is that I'm going to keep my 2005 forever, this is not a car I'm going to trade in for a new car in a couple of years. So in that case, why not get the best now? The problem is now I just have to find the right price on the Eclipse.
Old 5/21/05, 10:57 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by 2005 Black GT@May 19, 2005, 8:22 PM
raekwon888,

I'm in the same boat as you, and this is how I see it. I could go with the Kenwood for cheap, but I could also spend that extra couple hundred and get one of the top units now. The way I see it in my case is that I'm going to keep my 2005 forever, this is not a car I'm going to trade in for a new car in a couple of years. So in that case, why not get the best now? The problem is now I just have to find the right price on the Eclipse.
yeah i found out i can get the eclipse for a lower price than 1600 so im gonna go with it.that eclipse is really expensive but with the deal im getting im happy with it.by the way 2005gt i see ur from SI.im from bayonne, when did u get your stang cuz i got mine around november and the first other stang besides mine i saw was a black gt at the movies in Staten Island.It had IUP maybe that was you.well good luck on deciding ur stereo.peace
Old 5/22/05, 10:52 AM
GT Member

yeah i found out i can get the eclipse for a lower price than 1600 so im gonna go with it.that eclipse is really expensive but with the deal im getting im happy with it.by the way 2005gt i see ur from SI.im from bayonne, when did u get your stang cuz i got mine around november and the first other stang besides mine i saw was a black gt at the movies in Staten Island.It had IUP maybe that was you.well good luck on deciding ur stereo.peace
What model eclipse are you getting? Anyway since you live right across the bridge where are you getting your eclipse from? I don't know of any Eclipse dealers on Staten Island. If you don't want to post the place or price can you PM them to me?
You probably didn't see me because I got my GT with IUP in early February. GTs were still pretty rare back then, and if it had a spoiler it wasn't mine because I have the spoiler delete. Let me know how the purchase and install go because I am really interested to see the Eclipse in the '05. Good luck with everything