05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Decisions... Stick with Shaker or go aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 8/4/06, 10:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Decisions... Stick with Shaker or go aftermarket?

What started with looking for a way to run my XM to the aux port (thanks for all the help) has turned into something more.

At this point, I'm seriously considering setting up my Mustang the same way my Avalanche is setup. I have a Rockford-Fosgate OmniFi hacked with a 60GB HDD which holds my entire music collection. Since the Shaker1000 takes up a double-din spot, why not put the OmniFi in as well as a nice aftermarket head unit?

Here is my dilemma, though. I want to install the OmniFi, which will take up an aux port.... but I really want to hook my XM up as an auxillary device as well. I know I could use a hardwired FM modulator.... but I really want the sound you get from a direct input. Hell... I'm paying monthly for XM service, I might as well make it sound as good as possible.

So here's what I'm looking for in a head unit:

- Same, or better power output than the Shaker1000
- Able to drive the same number of speakers in the Shaker 1000 setup
- TWO auxillary inputs (a quick search at Crutchfield turned up none)

Here are some features I'd like to have, but don't really need:

- MP3 playback capability (not sure how much I'll use it with the OmniFi installed)
- Ability to read DVDs (again, with the OmniFi, not really necessary, but it would be nice)
- USB input (for a quick play of music without having to burn a disc or update the HDD)

If you guys can provide any input, I'd really appreciate it. I do know they have external switching devices for auxillary inputs, but I've heard bad things about them....
Old 8/4/06, 11:28 PM
Cobra Member

I will promise you that the OmniFi works well. The Panasonic is temporary as it had most functions I need, and it was being clearanced cheap.

I can't help you with the new head. I'm still looking.
Old 8/5/06, 10:36 PM
Bullitt Member

How did you end up hooking up all the Shaker speakers? How many are there anyways? I know a lot...
Old 8/6/06, 01:38 AM
Cobra Member

Luckily, my head unit came from Crutchfield, so all the harnesses and kit were supplied. I know they are Metra parts, but I don't know the parts #'s
Old 8/6/06, 10:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Hmmm, cool. I could probably check with someplace like Circuit City, too.

The main thing for me is to find a radio with dual auxillary inputs....
Old 8/6/06, 10:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Actually there's a few radios that you can make have dual aux inputs. What they make is an aux input that converts the CD Changer input to an AUX input. The JVC unit I just ordered offers this.... Here's the radio
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-yS0B5P7...0&I=257KDSHX90

and here's the extra aux input

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-yS0B5P7...asp?i=257KSU58

All my stuff should arrive tomorrow at my work and then the fun begins of ripping the interior apart for installation and Dynamatting.
Old 8/6/06, 03:34 PM
Cobra Member

Tools you WILL need for deadening your interior.
7mm nutdriver
#2 Philips screwdriver
T30 Torx driver
12 and 13mm sockets/ratchet
8mm DEEP WELL socket (I stress this one because it is the only way to remove the center console)
2 utility knives (one clean, one with tar/butyl all over it)
Cleaning solvent (I used a liquid deglosser, acetone would be preferred)
Small wooden roller for mat
clean 1" putty knife for panel removal
sweat rag
Aleve for the back pain.

When you deaden the doors, only use a single light layer near the "hanger" at the bottom or you will really struggle to replace the panels. I suggest using liquid-based deadener. It takes longer, but it is lighter/thinner and works equally.
Old 8/8/06, 10:21 AM
V6 Member

aux inputs

Can't help with the shaker speakers since I took all mine out but I am running two devices into one aux input. I used 2 Y adapters for each channel of the aux input on my sony head unit. One has my sirius radio the other I use my ipod. I don't think the sound is degraded and it makes for a simple install. Good luck!
Old 8/8/06, 11:24 AM
Bullitt Member

I actually needed either a T25 or T20 Torx driver for my center console to get the heat/ac controls unattached from the front cover.
Old 8/8/06, 03:59 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Dysan
I actually needed either a T25 or T20 Torx driver for my center console to get the heat/ac controls unattached from the front cover.
Weird, mine come off as a complete unit when you detatch the harnesses.
Old 8/8/06, 06:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Cool. Thanks for all the input. So far, there's the JVC that Dysan suggested... and a Pioneer (6800, I think) that a guy at Car Toys suggested. Time for some research....
Old 8/8/06, 06:33 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im thinkin that a Single DIN wont really look right in the current location. For a nice look, you kinda need a double DIN navi/dvd unit.
Old 8/8/06, 07:23 PM
Bullitt Member

It's not bad..my interior is still ripped apart since I'm waiting for my order of dynamat to come, but I think it looks nice with the storage opening under the single din unit.

One suggestion I will make for anyone planning to dynamat their doors, keep the plastic seal that goes over the inside of the door in one piece since there isn't a good way to fully coat the door with dynamat. I've been using some left over dynamat I had from my previous stereo install(prior car) and you pretty much have to put it on in pieces on the metal of the door. Oh well, hopefully it works ok and wasn't a waste of my time.
Old 8/8/06, 08:02 PM
Cobra Member

It isn't a waste of time. You'll notice it night and day. Trust me on that one. Oh, SOS will be making a special radio plate that will have a single DIN opening + spots for guages. IDK the timeframe as of yet, but the owner said he is definitely doing that.