05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Chrome Trim Rings for Shaker

Search this Thread

Old 12/6/08, 09:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Angry Chrome Trim Rings for Shaker

Anyone got a link for the chrome trim rings or new buttons w/chrome trim ring for the load/eject, disc up/down, and menu button???

Sorry no pics, I've seen them on a few show cars or magazine cars, but nobody around to ask where they got them.

Been searching every website I know. Got plenty of hits for the chrome power/volume ****. But no trim rings.
Old 12/6/08, 09:52 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
moss mustang carries them

Edit: Just searched their website, can't find them. I'll see if I can find it in the catalog and post a part number, hopefully tomorrow.

Last edited by 05GT-O.C.D.; 12/6/08 at 09:54 PM.
Old 12/6/08, 10:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
I didn't find anything about the buttons - unless you are talking about the factory ones. As for the chrome trim for the speakers, do you mean these? They are on Ebay, but they want $90 for them.

Old 12/7/08, 12:51 AM

Thanks

Originally Posted by jim010
I didn't find anything about the buttons - unless you are talking about the factory ones. As for the chrome trim for the speakers, do you mean these? They are on Ebay, but they want $90 for them.

Sorry, looking for the radio button trim ring accents.
Old 12/7/08, 02:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rocky61201
Sorry, looking for the radio button trim ring accents.
Your referring to the chrome ringed buttons? Then you have to buy an 08+ radio. I have never seen the rings sold separately.
Old 12/7/08, 08:20 PM

Thanks

Dang your right, just checked out some interior pics on the ford website. Oh well. Maybe I'll stop by the dealer and see how much they cost if.............. they have part numbers. Doubt it.

Little things make a difference and I liked those things and thought I could get some on the cheap.

Anybody that swapped their head unit on an 08+ want to make a donation on just the buttons? I should be able to swap them on my 06 unit. Willing to negotiate.

Thanks again.
Old 12/8/08, 09:42 AM
Bullitt Member

My understanding is they don't just pop off like the volume ****. You'd have to open the head unit to get the buttons off.. or swap head units completely. But I don't see why someone hasn't made some adhesive chrome rings. I'd buy them if they did.

I've seen some overlays that make the whole button chrome but not just the rings. Little too much chrome IMO but here's the link in case you like it:
http://www.ssinserts.com/index.php?m...5a2293ecb397fc

Last edited by spike; 12/8/08 at 09:43 AM.
Old 12/8/08, 08:18 PM
V6 Member

I found an 08 takeoff Shaker 500 (with chrome ring accents) and took the $$$ plunge - and I'm SO glad I did! You're right, the little things make a difference.
Attached Thumbnails Chrome Trim Rings for Shaker-radio_swap_comp.jpg  
Old 12/8/08, 09:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by retro_pony
I found an 08 takeoff Shaker 500 (with chrome ring accents) and took the $$$ plunge - and I'm SO glad I did! You're right, the little things make a difference.
How difficult was the swap?
Old 12/8/08, 09:14 PM
Cobra Member

Hey Doug, we are darn near neighbors... will drop you a PM.
Old 12/9/08, 05:17 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
The Fusions also have the same radio, but they're not called Shakers (although they physically look the same).
Old 12/10/08, 01:02 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Is there anyone else that might carry overlays for the rest of the buttons? My sister's radio buttons are all peeling because of her nails... It looks awful day or night
Old 12/10/08, 06:35 PM
V6 Member

Hello boys, a few answers...

S197, the swap sucked. Then again I decided to try it late on a Friday night, not the best idea. I did have PDFs of radio removal instructions which helped a lot. Unfortunately, everything from the arm rest to the console sides just below the top part of the dash have to come out. Also, getting behind the radio is a b!^&h and almost impossible to get the A/C controls to get things moved around. All and all, an hour tops, off, remove, install, replace. Note, you'll need an adaptor for the radio antenna plug-in (sorry, I don't have those specifics anymore)

69Cali, see Spike's post for button overlays, is the only thing I've seen close. I do have the solid chrome radio button cover if anyone's interested, PM me. http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/muraknco2up.html

Doogie, good to see another Cheesehead, will hit your PM back soon.
Old 12/11/08, 07:11 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 69CaliStang
Is there anyone else that might carry overlays for the rest of the buttons? My sister's radio buttons are all peeling because of her nails... It looks awful day or night
Best solution: nail clippers!
Old 12/11/08, 10:39 AM
Bullitt Member

...S197, the swap sucked..
Sorry that this is slightly off topic, but without good directions (I don't consider the PDF good directons), I can see how taking the rdaio out seems like a pain. But I don't want anyone to get scared out of taking the radio out. It’s easy and should take you no more that 15 minutes if done right. I’ve done it on 3 separate occasions with the 3rd time taking me 5 minutes. The trick is to do everything is the correct order. It will take you forever if you just try to figure it out and I agree that the PDFs let you assume a lot. (e.g., it says something like "remove a/c control" but then doesn't tell you how)

So from memory, this is how I remember to take out the radio:
1) Remove two screws from center consol under the arm rest lid.
2) Lift center console up and back to free up the side-panels on the center stack. (see note below)
3) Remove side-panels. They’re just clipped into place so a little tugging outward will do.
4) Unscrew all the screws holding the center stack face plate on. Pull out face plate a little and un-clip electrical connection on the top (msg center controls, power point, and TCS/Hazzards). Then remove plate.
5) Remove A/C controls. First unscrew four screws from behind (two left and two right). These screws unscrew out of the back of the A/C contols and are not easily noticeable. But once noticed where they are, they come out easily. I think they are star type screws but the right sized hex (allen head) wrench will actually work. (see note below)
6) Unclip two electrical connections from A/C controls. Once if on the very left and the other is center/right. Pull out A/C controls.
7) Unscrew screws on the face of the radio that hold it on, pull it out slightly to get access to the back, unhook electrical connections from behind (antenna, power, and audio), pull radio all the way out.

Notes:
-Technically you don’t need to undo the A/C controls to get the job done but it makes it a heck of a lot easier to get your hand at the electrical connections at the back of the radio.
-PDF will tell you to remove the center console up and over the shifter and e-brake but you really only need to loosen it and back it off a little to get the side-panels on the center stack off.
-This is for and 05 and 06 car. I think the A/C controls are different for the 07+ so I’m not sure how those may come out. They may also come off the same way… I’m just not sure.

There used to be a great link with pictures that someone put together on how to do this but that link is dead now. It was in several threads on how to install a PIE device.

Back on topic: I really really wish someone just made some chrome stick-on rings. It seems like it would be so easy. I just can't justify buying a whole new radio just for some $5 chrome.
Old 12/11/08, 12:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks but it looks like the head unit will need to be replaced... I would need all of the buttons...

Thanks,

Hello boys, a few answers...

S197, the swap sucked. Then again I decided to try it late on a Friday night, not the best idea. I did have PDFs of radio removal instructions which helped a lot. Unfortunately, everything from the arm rest to the console sides just below the top part of the dash have to come out. Also, getting behind the radio is a b!^&h and almost impossible to get the A/C controls to get things moved around. All and all, an hour tops, off, remove, install, replace. Note, you'll need an adaptor for the radio antenna plug-in (sorry, I don't have those specifics anymore)

69Cali, see Spike's post for button overlays, is the only thing I've seen close. I do have the solid chrome radio button cover if anyone's interested, PM me. http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/muraknco2up.html

Doogie, good to see another Cheesehead, will hit your PM back soon.
Old 12/11/08, 12:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

LOL

Not a solution but thanks anyway... This is a female we are talking about...

Originally Posted by MustangGuy
Best solution: nail clippers!
Old 12/16/08, 05:55 PM
I don't do trannies
or rear-ends anymore!

Man i just noticed this on a friends car a few days ago. Wish someone made a ring