05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

CDC Light Bar

Search this Thread

Old 1/9/07, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CDC Light Bar

I'm looking to puchase the CDC Light Bar, and would like to konw if anybody sell a plug & play harness for the brake light. I don't want it active when the top is up.
Thanks
Old 1/9/07, 07:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Here ya go.
http://www.webelectricproducts.com/

And since you obviously have a vert you might also want the one-touch for your rear windows.
http://www.webelectricproducts.com/
Old 1/9/07, 07:18 PM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I have both those products Leo mentioned. WebElectric rocks.
Old 1/9/07, 07:27 PM

Brad,
What's involved with the installation of the light bar switch?
Old 1/15/07, 09:07 PM
Cobra R Member

Another Light bar manufacturer

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I am posting to let you know that there is another manufacturer of light bars: Aeroform. (aeroform.com)

Here is a pic of their bar on my car. As you can tell from the pic, it leans back some (follows the "side scoop" molding). Also, the grain on the bar matches the plastic EXACTLY

The bar doesn't have a "Fourth Brake Light" which makes installation a breeze (no wiring).

UNLIKE THE CDC, IT REQUIRES NO DRILLING into the pillar. The only thing to drill is the plastic trim piece, which CDC requires as well. Also, it is easily removable, because there is no wiring to deal with.

Just wanted to give you an alternate choice.
Attached Thumbnails CDC Light Bar-2005-mustang-014a.jpg   CDC Light Bar-2005-mustang-011.jpg  
Old 1/16/07, 07:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It seems also thiner than the CDC ?

Not sure I like the angle it has but for look different.

How is it secured to the body if there's no drilling, any pics or scan from the installation instructions ?
Old 1/16/07, 08:48 PM
Cobra R Member

I don't have the instructions with me right now, nor can I take a pic at the moment. But, I want to reply quickly. SO>>>> go to CDC's website, and compare their instructions to what I am about to write.

If you look at the Figure 4 of CDC instructions to compare, the Aeroform bar goes like this: Remove the top quarter trim panel; cut some of the foam that is in place just behind the seatbelt, and install the bracket using factory mounting locations (the two smaller arrows that Figure 4 points to)

The bracket looks similar to CDC's with respect to how the bar slides into it and how it is held in place with allen screws. But, you don't need to drill into the B pillar to mount the bracket, as the factory holes work just fine. Then, just cut a hole in the trim panel, and install the bar.

ALSO, since there isn't a "Fourth" Brake light, you don't need to worry about removing any seats/interior trim panels, etc, you just pop the upper trim piece right off, and thats it

Hope this helps. In response to the angle: I was used to a 94 Olds convertible, which had an angled bar from the factory. So, IMO, straight up looks weird, especially with the factory headrests. I have changed my headrests to TMI adjustable ones, and it helps make the bar look even better (the pic above has the old headrests, but imagine the headrests straight up---ie my avatar). But, to each his own.

NOTE: please don't hold the exact mounting holes to me. I think those were the ones, but it may have been another. But, just know that it was factory holes. I will look at the instructions this weekend and post an update
Old 1/18/07, 05:23 AM
Cobra R Member

Just an update...aeroform has an "off-season" sale on their light bar right now. Check it out on ebay. Another benefit over CDC is that it is more cost effective.

EDIT: you must search 05 mustang sport bar, NOT light bar
Old 1/18/07, 02:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Mike-

I like the Aeroform sport bar, too. The angled back position looks good, and who needs a fourth brakelight anyway-- especially with the top up? (JMO) I was going to get one, but the wife would rather spend the $$$ on a CDC front spoiler!
Old 1/18/07, 08:11 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by mikes rx
Just an update...aeroform has an "off-season" sale on their light bar right now. Check it out on ebay. Another benefit over CDC is that it is more cost effective.

EDIT: you must search 05 mustang sport bar, NOT light bar
Mike, does $389 sound right? And how much is shipping? i have been looking for a lite bar w/out brakelite and I like the slant on this..Thanks
Old 1/18/07, 08:31 PM
Cobra R Member

$389 is their regular price. I don't want to post the sale price, since I am just a customer, and don't want to commit the manufacturer to a price if this thread is viewed later. But, its on ebay right now. Just make sure to search under 2005 mustang sport bar
Old 1/18/07, 09:23 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by topoffGT
I was going to get one, but the wife would rather spend the $$$ on a CDC front spoiler!
Tell her that with the money you save on the Aeroform bar, the front spoiler won't cost all that much more.

Or, tell her that is it more cost effective to buy the light bar than it is to buy the front spoiler (assuming you were going to get it painted)
Old 1/19/07, 10:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, I'm not being sarcastic here, but what exactly is the point of the bar?

It's not a rollover protection mod. It seems to be in the way. You have to go to a lot of trouble with the headrests (judging from above). So why would anyone want this?

GM engineers agonized for YEARS before making a Calais/Beretta convertible with their "style bar" - the only reason that it was there was because of that car's upright door handles that were built in to the "B" pillar at that time. The convertible's dismal sales at the time reflected the average consumer's antipathy toward the "style bar".

Again, not trolling for flames, I am genuinely curious. Why?
Old 1/19/07, 01:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mikes rx
Tell her that with the money you save on the Aeroform bar, the front spoiler won't cost all that much more.

Or, tell her that is it more cost effective to buy the light bar than it is to buy the front spoiler (assuming you were going to get it painted)
I agree on both points, but I don't want to push too hard. She's already tolerated about $5k worth of upgrades and customization!
Old 1/19/07, 05:51 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by mrkabc
Pardon my ignorance, I'm not being sarcastic here, but what exactly is the point of the bar?

It's not a rollover protection mod. It seems to be in the way. You have to go to a lot of trouble with the headrests (judging from above). So why would anyone want this?

Again, not trolling for flames, I am genuinely curious. Why?
The main (and perhaps only) point of the bar is for styling, although, it does improve chassis stiffening somewhat (similar to a strut brace)

In regard to the headrests: YOU DO NOT NEED TO CHANGE THE HEADRESTS TO INSTALL THE BAR!! I changed them out because I hated the way they pushed into the back of my head, and hated the way they looked b/c they angled forward.

In regard to safety: Do not buy the bar if you are expecting protection. Light bars/Styling Bars do not do this. I wouldn't trust it to protect me in a rollover. But, something there is better than nothing, right.

Not to be a smart-alec, but they are called light bars/ styling bars for that reason: they have a light built-in (some of them) and they are for styling. If you are in need of rollover protection, a recommend a roll-bar. [Once again, I'm not trying to be a smart-butt. Since we can only WRITE words, please read it and adjust tone/emphasis accordingly.]