05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Bullitt steering wheel installed

Search this Thread

Old 3/21/08, 10:38 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what is the difference between these bullitt steering wheels and a gt500 wheel. For that matter are they different than the mustang gt leather wheel? I'm no doubt ignorant on this subject....that's why I'm asking?
Old 3/21/08, 10:59 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The GT500 has red stitching while the Bullit has black stiching. Both wheels have thumb grips and cover the left and right spokes with leather while the bottom spoke has satin aluminum trim. I believe the wheels are slightly thicker.

The GT and V6 with the Interior Upgrade Package has a leather wrap and satin aluminum spokes as opposed to the base wheel which is all black injection molded vinyl.

I like the Bullit wheel but I just cannot live without all three satin aluminum spokes.

Originally Posted by eric n
what is the difference between these bullitt steering wheels and a gt500 wheel. For that matter are they different than the mustang gt leather wheel? I'm no doubt ignorant on this subject....that's why I'm asking?
Old 3/22/08, 05:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks great! I love the way this wheel feels when you're driving.
Old 3/25/08, 06:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

I actually like the all black wheel. It breaks up all the silver and billet on the dash. plus the all leather looks way cool.
Old 4/2/08, 11:52 AM
Cobra Member

just bought the bullitt steering wheel from ebay. Since they are in Porterville and I'm in Bakersfield, it shouldn't take long for the piece to get here.
Old 4/3/08, 08:25 PM
Cobra Member

Sounds like an easy job... Just a couple questions. What is a sjb? How do I disconnect the airbag assy connectors? Where is the cruise control electrical connector??? I guess what I'm asking is do we have this with pictures for those of us who are ssslllooowww?

Originally Posted by garyb900
I bought a 2008 Bullitt steering wheel from Kevin Casey here and installed it the other day.
It is a very nice wheel, all leather with black stitching.
The install was very easy.
1.Pull the airbag fuse from the SJB
2.Disconnect the battery for safety then wait a few minutes.
3.Pull off the two platic caps on the sides of the wheel to access the two bolts that hold the airbag in.
4.Pull out the airbag assy. and disconnect the two electrical connectors.
5.Disconnect the cruise control electrical connector
6.One bolt to remove the wheel. No wheel puller needed.
7. Install new wheel & reverse the procedure.

The whole thing took me about 20 minutes and that included changing my license plate sticker & eating a hot dog while I waited for the electrical charge to dissipate.
I went to two dealers and they wanted to charge me $99 & $148 to do it!!! Holy stealership batman! The more expensive place told me it was an hour and a half job!! What a ripoff!!

Anyway, I wanted to give Kevin props for a great deal on a great wheel! LOL!
Old 4/3/08, 08:27 PM
Cobra Member

by the way I got my wheel from kc today. Quick service. Great product. Very reasonable price.

Thanks Kevin.
Old 4/4/08, 05:31 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by eric n
Sounds like an easy job... Just a couple questions. What is a sjb?
Smart Junction Box, under passenger side kick panel cover. There's a diagram a page back in this thread of what fuse you pull.

This step seems to be optional. I guess the fuse really isn't fusing anything if you disconnect the battery first.

How do I disconnect the airbag assy connectors? Where is the cruise control electrical connector???
Once you pop out the little plastic cap things on the side of the steering wheel and take out those two bolts to release the airbag module, this will be obvious to you, because it will be sort of dangling by the plugs that connect everything. Unplug them, set it off to the side, and the bolt that holds the steering wheel on will be right in front of you.
Old 4/6/08, 06:27 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks...it was a super easy job in and out AND...... my mechanic only charged me $40 to do it. Ok I'm a weenie but I was having a busy day. Looks great. Feels better. If you're thinking about this mod, I recommend it.

Originally Posted by SStang
Smart Junction Box, under passenger side kick panel cover. There's a diagram a page back in this thread of what fuse you pull.

This step seems to be optional. I guess the fuse really isn't fusing anything if you disconnect the battery first.

Once you pop out the little plastic cap things on the side of the steering wheel and take out those two bolts to release the airbag module, this will be obvious to you, because it will be sort of dangling by the plugs that connect everything. Unplug them, set it off to the side, and the bolt that holds the steering wheel on will be right in front of you.
Old 4/6/08, 06:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
I'd have charged you $35 !

Glad you like the mod. It really is a much nicer wheel than the old one. Espacially if you have the plastic wheel like I did.

Cheers
Old 4/14/08, 08:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Cool Bullitt wheel finally installed!!

Finally got our new all leather Bullitt Steering wheel installed today! Thanks to Mr. "KC"! See my purchase post #36 on this thread. Money was very well spent, for a little extra cabin class!!

Took the Calstang out of his long term winter storage last week. As it has been so very cold, windy and snowy for about forever here in the Midwest!!

Back to the new wheel install. After lowering both windows all the way, disconnected the battery negative (black) cable. Pulled out 10A #17 kick panel fuse etc. This install was pretty much a piece of cake! You just need to have the metric tools, a shop light, safety googles and a very little bit of time. Waited a full five minutes for a complete electric drain down!! Thanks again to this great Forum, for all the airbag install tips, the Ford data sheets and the how to pictures on this too!!

FYI: When I placed the new steering wheel on the mount and snugged down the new retaining bolt, I than rotated the steering wheel about a quarter turn to the left. This sets the steering lock in place for vehicle towing, when the ignition key has been removed. Than just torqued that retaining bolt down to 41 foot pounds and its set.

Next. Installed the cruise control multi-wire plug into the steering wheel plug connector. Plugged the two wire connectors ( gray and black ) back into the airbag cannister and reinstalled it into the wheel. Put steering wheel airbag bolts and bolt hole plugs in, reinstalled the 10A #17 fuse, fuse cover and kick panel door. Then reconnected the batterie's negative (black) cable terminal. Car's electrics will now come to life. Clock rolls to 12;00, CD player clicks through it's disc checks etc.

Now. Did the auto power up windows resets. Easy! Just run windows all the way up, holding the button in the up position all the way during lift and also hold the buttons up for about two seconds after the window has completed it's lift. And now reset the clock's time. All done!!

Went for a quick/zip CalStang check drive! To test out the cruise control set buttons on the new steering wheel etc. all I can say is "Oh Wow Gang"!! This all leather wheel look change inside the cabin and to the dash area, gives the CalStang the feel of about a five thousand dollar interior upgrade! Love it!!

Feels so much richer inside now and the thumb grips are very nice!! Plus. The main reason I bought the Bullitt wheel in the first place, was that the nasty aluminum wheel trim reflection glare. It is now mostly all gone from inside my gauge lens!! Including some Forum lens reflection and GT-500 pictures for your visual reference!! "RC"
Attached Thumbnails Bullitt steering wheel installed-mtinstrumentpanel.jpg   Bullitt steering wheel installed-08fordshelbygt500kr_07.jpg  
Old 9/5/08, 03:34 PM
Cobra R Member

Got one from KC yesterday:
Attached Thumbnails Bullitt steering wheel installed-steering-wheel.jpg  
Old 9/5/08, 06:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Put mine in today. Thanks KC. It looks great and with the charcoal IUP makes the interior look right. And it feels better too.
Old 9/9/08, 12:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Here is a promised picture. I really think that the leather on the top two spokes is great and that the 3rd dark spoke compliments the Charcoal IUP much more than the bright polished in the regular wheel. The wheel is more comfortable and definitely worth the money. Too bad Ford doesn't offer this as part of one of the enhanced interior packages -- it would be a winner. Particularly if they put audio controls on there too.
Attached Thumbnails Bullitt steering wheel installed-wheel1.jpg   Bullitt steering wheel installed-wheel2.jpg  
Old 11/21/08, 06:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Going to install mine next week
Old 11/24/08, 08:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

This may seem dumb when I actually get to doing the install, but can someone elaborate on this part;

3.Pull off the two platic caps on the sides of the wheel to access the two bolts that hold the airbag in.

Which ones an where exacty? How hard do you pull before u brake something? Im just not seeing it in my head right now. Sorry again.
Old 11/29/08, 08:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanx for the help fellas. Its on now and looks great. Thanks Kevin.
Old 12/10/08, 09:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks KC!!! Super easy to do. I was going to swap the middle spoke cover with my brush alum one, but like the black one that came with. I had been accenting my lt gray with black anyway and really the only matching parts are the door handles and shift ****.

Old 3/6/11, 12:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
When you guys are saying that you disconnect the battery do you take off both terminals or just the negative?

I'm thinking about upgrading my 05 steering wheel with the Bullitt.
Old 3/6/11, 02:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

I just bought one recently and just disconnected both terminals just to be sure.....though I did leave the fuse in.

Cutterwolf over at "Mustang Forums" has a nice sticky there on a DIY writeup.

I had the black rubber OEM wheel which makes your hands sticky after driving for a bit. This new wheel is night and day compared to the old one.

Quick Reply: Bullitt steering wheel installed