05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Brighter map lights?

Search this Thread

Old 9/6/07, 04:36 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ordered mine last night. I had some issues with Ebay, and PayPal for a while there. But, I finally got it strightened out.....

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
I got a set of these in white from Unjustified last week. Very happy with them. Nice even interior lighting without the deep shadows of the stock bulbs.
Old 9/7/07, 12:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just bought a set of the white ones. I know the colored ones are kind of pointless as far as usefulness but at night a set of the red or blue ones would look so wicked when unlocking the doors!!!!
Old 9/7/07, 01:27 PM
V6 Member

just put my order in as well
Old 9/9/07, 12:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

how do you replaces they bulbs? I dont see any screws or is the entire peice can just be pulled off?
Old 9/9/07, 07:01 AM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
You can either pop off the entire console, or remove the 2 white diffusers. There are 3 tabs, the 2 closest together are the ones you want to pry off. The tab that sits by itself is a locking tab. DO NOT TRY TO PRY THIS PART OFF!

Here's what I ordered:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-V-L...9142QQtcZphoto

I ordered a bunch of stuff from V-LEDs and this one will work very nicely in the Stang. I haven't seen the Moss Mustang setup, but all you have to do is replace the bulb with a LED. The refractor setups aren't bright enough, but the flanking LED capsule uses 6 leds per die, so you will get an intense light shining through the diffuser.

ETA: I also bought a LED upgrade for the trunk light (211-2). The 211-2's are a bit more expensive than the 194 LED replacements, but it should be worth it.

Our E-250's cargo lighting is a 10W bulb similar to a 211-2. You can fry eggs with those lights.
Old 9/10/07, 09:09 AM
Bullitt Member

I think I will be getting the blue ones. For years we've used either blue or red night lighting in our law enforcement cars and I can attest to the fact that these colors rather than a white light, will not ruin your night vision and will not give you that "camera flash bulb" vision after turning off a bright white interior light.
Old 9/13/07, 09:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
I got mine in the mail yesterday. I am going to install them today after work. Wow, seems like "not a lot" for $25. We'll see how they look and if they were worth the $$$!!!

(and I was complaining about the price of Stealth turn signal bulbs!! Ah, well...)
Old 9/13/07, 10:47 AM

What do you mean, by not a lot? Do you feel ripped off?

I want to know since I have the same one on order.......

Originally Posted by mrkabc
I got mine in the mail yesterday. I am going to install them today after work. Wow, seems like "not a lot" for $25. We'll see how they look and if they were worth the $$$!!!

(and I was complaining about the price of Stealth turn signal bulbs!! Ah, well...)
Old 9/13/07, 01:16 PM
GTR Member

$10-$15 for the pair, TOPS. Anything more is a rip-off. They're all made overseas.
Old 9/13/07, 02:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Falchion
What do you mean, by not a lot? Do you feel ripped off?

I want to know since I have the same one on order.......
Well, I won't say "ripped off" since I haven't tried them yet, but it just seemed disappointing to get a $25 envelope with 2 tiny bulbs in it and the rest empty space.

It's something Consumer Reports would call a "Black Hole Award" for lots of package/small part. We'll see.
Old 9/13/07, 06:48 PM

Yeah, I just got mine too. $25 is a little high for that kind of thing, but at least they are brighter.

As usual, I took forever to do a five minute job. I should have just pried off the diffuser covers. Instead, I took down the whole dome assembly, then found out that the LED's wouldn't fit the opening like a regular blub would. So I had to take off the diffuser covers anyways!

Don't let this happen to you!

Well, I won't say "ripped off" since I haven't tried them yet, but it just seemed disappointing to get a $25 envelope with 2 tiny bulbs in it and the rest empty space.

It's something Consumer Reports would call a "Black Hole Award" for lots of package/small part. We'll see.
Old 9/13/07, 07:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Falchion, you beat me to the punch! Here are photos of my install:

HERE are the originals:

Pull down the the whole dome assembly, and pull the bulb mounting brackets and remove bulbs. CAUTION... they are HOT!!!! Use a rag to cover the bulb if it has been burning.

Use a thin screwdriver and pry off the diffuser from the dome assembly. You won't be able to install the LED light bulbs any other way. There are three tabs, two small, and one large. PRY ONLY ON THE SMALL TABS!!!

Plug in the two LED bulbs, clip the dome assembly back up, and reinstall the diffusers.

Here is the final product:

See my next post for the verdict:
Old 9/13/07, 08:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

The Verdict:

THE GOOD: LED lights function like the incandescent ones they replace, run a lot cooler, easy 5 minute installation, bulbs will never burn out, and LOOK a lot cooler (bluish white light).

THE BAD: They are EXPENSIVE, don't put out much more (if any more) light than the bulbs they replace.

THE UGLY: Nothing. Seller is quick, timely shipment.

THE VERDICT: This would have been a good $10 mod, but for $25 I don't believe it's worth the money.

Here is a shot of one of each - check out the difference!

Old 9/13/07, 08:06 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did some of these awhile back and within 2 weeks one began to stay on and drained the battery. So keep an eye on your LEDs folks. Just my 0.02
Old 9/13/07, 08:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Nice, but unfortunately I'd have to buy only the white ones. If I installed the colored ones, and used them while driving, I'd get a ticket. Illegal in VA.

Old 9/14/07, 08:38 AM

Hmm, that's a good point. I didn't think of that. Maybe it's a good thing I got the white, but the blue looks cooler then I thought it would!

The white LED's are a very white light, not yellow like the stock blubs. It reminds me of the Factory HID's I got. Kind of cool, I guess.....

Art, those are some great pics, and I agree with you that it's not that much better, but it is a little brighter then stock. But, $25 brighter, well not really!

I think maybe Ford make the dome lights a little brighter since I bought my V6 in 05. Man, it was really dark! You couldn't hardly read a map or anything!

Originally Posted by Arrow
Nice, but unfortunately I'd have to buy only the white ones. If I installed the colored ones, and used them while driving, I'd get a ticket. Illegal in VA.

Old 9/14/07, 10:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

UPDATE AND A WARNING:

I took my car out last night (didn't get home until 3:45am) so I had a chance to see my new LED dome lights in action.

1) THEY DO NOT TURN OFF. After they dim down, the LED lights are very clearly still burning, albeit extremely dimly. After shutting the car down I just stayed inside to see if they would turn off, and THEY DO NOT. The LEDs stay lit whether the car is running or not. I assume that the SJB will power them down at some point but I wonder if the current draw would be enough to kill my battery over time.

2) I'M NOT IMPRESSED WITH THE LIGHT. The white LEDs look cool, but in my opinion they do not put out more light than the stock incandescent bulbs. If anything, I feel they put out LESS light. Maybe it's just because the light is bluish white and just isn't as visible, I don't know.

That being said, I'm pulling the LEDs today after work. I can't have lights constantly burning over a long period of time. Falchion, you may want to check yours at night!
Old 9/14/07, 10:59 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Arrow

So the ambient lighting package would be illegal in VA?

I noticed the LEDs remained "ON" as well, so I put an ammeter in between the leads and recorded a few microamps of current draw. I'm not sure why this happens because my other car (the 00 Vic) has a lighting control module (similar to a SJB) that totally cuts off the power to the floorwell lights, so the LEDs are OFF.

I think this is a problem with the SJB and not the LEDs.
Old 9/14/07, 11:00 AM
GTR Member

UPDATE AND A WARNING:

I took my car out last night (didn't get home until 3:45am) so I had a chance to see my new LED dome lights in action.

1) THEY DO NOT TURN OFF. After they dim down, the LED lights are very clearly still burning, albeit extremely dimly. After shutting the car down I just stayed inside to see if they would turn off, and THEY DO NOT. The LEDs stay lit whether the car is running or not. I assume that the SJB will power them down at some point but I wonder if the current draw would be enough to kill my battery over time.

2) I'M NOT IMPRESSED WITH THE LIGHT. The white LEDs look cool, but in my opinion they do not put out more light than the stock incandescent bulbs. If anything, I feel they put out LESS light. Maybe it's just because the light is bluish white and just isn't as visible, I don't know.

That being said, I'm pulling the LEDs today after work. I can't have lights constantly burning over a long period of time. Falchion, you may want to check yours at night!
Which LEDs did you purchase?

Anything that focuses the die straight through the stock diffuser ought to be very bright.
Old 9/14/07, 11:17 AM

I installed them yesterday afternoon, and noticed that the lights stayed on at frist. I thought it was because I had hit the dome light buttons to the "on" position?

Actually at first, I couldn't get one of them to light up, so I removed the whole dome light assembly, transfered the LED blubs from one socket to the other, and then reinstalled the whole dome light assembly. It seemed to work pretty well after that. The domes lights dimmed out after about three minutes after the door is closed. No issues this morning, car started right up.

Dimly burning though? I didn't notice that, but thanks for the heads up!

UPDATE AND A WARNING:

Quick Reply: Brighter map lights?