05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

best sub for scosche sub

Search this Thread

Old 1/17/06, 06:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, just received my Scosche sub box (unloaded)last week. I thought I had a sub/amp combo lined up by my installer, but while he was on vacation last week the shop sold it for twice what he was going to charge me. So now I'm back to square one. I really don't want to spend more than $500 on a sub, amp and another amp for my front/rear speakers. (but if I have too, maybe).....

I have the following ready to be installed:

Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X889 Head Unit
Sirius Tuner
Infinity Kappa's 6x8 Comp's for front
Infinity Kappa's 6x8 for rear
Unloaded Scosche box

Need:

12" sub to fit in box
4 ch amp for front and rear speakers
mono amp for sub

I'll take any advice you guys/gals can give!!!! One of the online sites recommended MA Audio Subs and Amps???
Old 1/17/06, 11:44 AM
V6 Member

GET THE INFINITY PERFECT 12 SUB, GO TO CRUTCHFIELD.COM AND CHECK IT OUT. I HAD 2 PERFECT 10'S IN MY OLD RANGER AND IT WAS CRAZY. I LOVE THOSE SUBS. AND GET A KICKER AMP. THEY ARE RELIABLE AND HAVE FANS IN THEM

LATER
Old 1/19/06, 12:16 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I'd recommend a JL Audio 12W3v2 or Infinity Perfect 12d. I've got the Infinity in mine and it sounds great. I think you can't go wrong with either one. I'm not so sure about amps though, maybe someone can recommend some. I just use a 300W Alpine for my sub.
Old 1/19/06, 12:59 AM
V6 Member

you can't go wrong with JL's stay away any lower than W3's in my opion. BASS is weird I've heard crappy inexpensive sub sound awesome in a great box and top of the line sound horrible in a bad box. All in all if the box is quality made and to specs of the sub you choose you should have no problem. Just stay away from flea market special like "kenferd" "rockwood" "JLS"
Old 1/19/06, 04:59 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by withinavoid@January 19, 2006, 1:19 AM
I'd recommend a JL Audio 12W3v2 or Infinity Perfect 12d. I've got the Infinity in mine and it sounds great. I think you can't go wrong with either one. I'm not so sure about amps though, maybe someone can recommend some. I just use a 300W Alpine for my sub.
YOU HAVE THE INFINITY 12 IN THE SCORSCE BOX? HOW IS THE BASS, LOUD OR MODERATE? HOW DOES THE BOX HOLD TO THE BASS. YOU GOT ANY PICS.
Old 1/19/06, 05:36 PM
Cobra Member

Dude! Stop yelling!!!!

BTW, I don't recommend the Infinity sub :P

J/K, they actually sound pretty good.
Old 1/19/06, 05:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks, I'll still take as much help as I can get. I've never had a sub before...........
Old 1/21/06, 05:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

OK, so far we have votes for JL and Infinity. Any other ideas????
Old 1/22/06, 09:05 AM
Cobra Member

Sure, Elemental Ov2 or Kv2 (depending on power level), Stereo Integrity Magnum, Adire Brahma, Tumult, or Koda, Boston G5, Alpine Type-R, DiyMa 12" woofer (check diymobileaudio.com), Dayton HO, HE, or Titanic, and many many others. heck, how much do you want to spend, what kind of music do you listen to, and how loud do you like to listen? Also, do you want your tunes dead accurate (flat response), or do you like a bump in the lower end like most people?
Old 1/22/06, 10:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Infinity@January 22, 2006, 11:08 AM
Sure, Elemental Ov2 or Kv2 (depending on power level), Stereo Integrity Magnum, Adire Brahma, Tumult, or Koda, Boston G5, Alpine Type-R, DiyMa 12" woofer (check diymobileaudio.com), Dayton HO, HE, or Titanic, and many many others. heck, how much do you want to spend, what kind of music do you listen to, and how loud do you like to listen? Also, do you want your tunes dead accurate (flat response), or do you like a bump in the lower end like most people?

Wow, did not think that many subs would fit in the box. I listen to all types of music, mostly rockish types. I listen at moderate levels. This is just for my enjoyment. I do not want to spend more that $200. I still need to get amps as well............
Old 1/22/06, 02:12 PM
Bullitt Member

What do you guys know about the 12" EFX subwoofer that comes with the Scosche box for $199.99 all together? This seems like a great value and car mags have given it good reviews. I wasn't really thinking about upgrading my Shaker 500 yet, but after reading some of these topics, it has really spurred my interest.
Old 1/24/06, 10:51 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by 05GTSILVER@January 19, 2006, 6:02 AM
YOU HAVE THE INFINITY 12 IN THE SCORSCE BOX? HOW IS THE BASS, LOUD OR MODERATE? HOW DOES THE BOX HOLD TO THE BASS. YOU GOT ANY PICS.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?ac...e=post&id=39345

That's the only pic I have. The bass is pretty loud, however I don't have my coax's amp'd, they are running direct on the AVIC-D1. So in my case, I turned off all boost on the Alpine, set a little mid-bass adjustment on the AVIC-D1 and sounds perfect to me. When I first installed it the amp had boost by default and the bass was too much and rattled everything to death. I still get rattles but the sound is balanced, like I like it. The box is solid and 1.2 cubes.
Old 1/27/06, 12:59 PM

How do you guys plan to feed your sub amp? I looked into the Scosche box, but it won't fit in a vert. How's the best way to tap into the Shaker 500 to pick up a signal to connect to a new sub amp for the trunk? Thanks
Old 1/30/06, 05:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by ifly185@January 27, 2006, 4:02 PM
How do you guys plan to feed your sub amp? I looked into the Scosche box, but it won't fit in a vert. How's the best way to tap into the Shaker 500 to pick up a signal to connect to a new sub amp for the trunk? Thanks
BUMP.

I would also like to know if an amp/trunk sub can be tapped into the Shaker 500, or do you have to run new leads to the battery and stock receiver?
Old 3/8/06, 11:24 PM
GT Member

Did somebody find out what cables do we have to tap into to get the signal for a line out converter? thanks
Old 3/9/06, 06:15 AM
V6 Member

For tapping into the Shaker, the cleanest way is probably the Soundgate LOCB.2 adapter (http://www.soundgate.com). It hooks into the low-level signal going to the stock amps and provides a pre-amp signal for your subs from there, all while keeping the Shaker amps and stuff intact (and not frying the head unit). Great for adding another amp and subs to the 500, esp since the low-level line is non-faded.

I bought the LOCB.2 but have yet to install it (waiting for the warm weather). Their tech guy told me it was compatible with the Shaker systems. I picked up a Rockford Fosgate 6001bd amp, and a pair of Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1 for the trunk. Shooting to have it all installed by May/June.

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rock_band.gif[/img]
Old 3/9/06, 06:19 AM
V6 Member

I have the Scosche box with an Infinity Perfect 12", powered by a 280w
MTX 282 amp that I got from Crutchfield for $100 (it is a discontinued
model). Tapped into the rear speaker leads and ran the 10 ga powers
to the battery. With the MTX, using speaker leads, no amp turn on wire
is needed. Sounds great. I also upgraded the door subwoofers to CDT
Ef-8's driven by a second 282 amp (2ch) and the 4-6"x8"(door & rear) to
Infinity Kappa Perfects. Doors run off the Shaker 500.
All totalled about $1,050 plus 10-12 hours of my labor - all soldered
connections, power leads up right and speaker leads up left side of car.
Old 3/9/06, 01:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JoeP @ March 9, 2006, 8:22 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

Actually, The EFX is a high end audio speaker. In my opinion the Scosche EFX series stuff is a very high quallity set up. I replaced the factory 5x7s with the EFX 5x7s in the front and rear. Their hooked up to a EFX four channel amp. the two door subs are hook up to a EFX two channel amp. and the 12inch sub box is hook to a mono amp. All my fuse blocks, wires and conectors are Scosche also. My set up was designed by the technical people @ Scosche. This is the same set up as in the 05 gt they put together for SEMA.

[quote name='JoeP' date='March 9, 2006, 8:22 AM' post='659216']
[/quote

Actually, The EFX is a high end audio speaker. In my opinion the Scosche EFX series stuff is a very high quallity set up. I replaced the factory 5x7s with the EFX 5x7s in the front and rear. Their hooked up to a EFX four channel amp. the two door subs are hook up to a EFX two channel amp. and the 12inch sub box is hook to a mono amp. All my fuse blocks, wires and conectors are Scosche also. My set up was designed by the technical people @ Scosche. This is the same set up as in the 05 gt they put together for SEMA.
Old 4/11/06, 01:51 AM
GT Member

I just put a Kicker CVR12 DVC 2 ohm in the scoshe box and it hits extremely hard. I am pushing it with the 5th channel 200 watts of my Alpine Amp. More bass than the car can handle. I got the dual 2 ohm coils because my amp is only 4 ohm stable on the sub channel.

Got the sub for about $150 from Crutchfield, can be had a little cheaper on ebay.
Old 4/24/06, 03:48 PM
V6 Member

I've got some questions...

1. Is this the scosche box you speak of?

2. Can I use this amp or this amp to power this Infinity subwoofer?

I am new to all this car audio stuff. If it seems like I ask too many dumb questions, well, I'm sorry... I can't help it. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]

Thanks for understanding...lol

Quick Reply: best sub for scosche sub