05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Auto to Manual Shifter Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 1/16/08, 03:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Auto to Manual Shifter Conversion

Has anyone tried converting their auto shifter into a manual? Completely appearance, not in function. Just switching the two out. While I am not interested in making my car look like a manual necessarily, I just prefer the look of a shifter with a ball, such as the custom shifter ***** from grabberpony.com. I've seen shifter ***** with the auto trans release button built into them and I was not impressed at all, so some sort of relocation of the release button would be needed. Is this kind of conversion feasible or would button location, time, and cost be too much trouble? If anyone has done this or seen or heard about others doing it, please post pictures or other information. Thanks.
Old 1/17/08, 09:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Too dumb an idea to even consider or just never been tried?
Old 1/17/08, 10:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are many good ideas like this but a lot of engineering is required to do it right.

The engineering time, tooling, machining and testing required to make the parts is very expensive. There has to be a very high expectation of sufficient sales to off-set the cost and allow for profit.

Many folks wonder why certain items are not available for thier particular car. Many times, the explanation above is the reason why.

There are many companies who will make the investment in a project like this once they are satisified that the customer demand is large enough and that the parts can be manufactured and sold at a price-point that buyers will accept and provide a resonable return to the company.

Mark
GrabberPony.com
Old 1/17/08, 10:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Other than a company creating a setup like this has anyone done this with their own ideas and trial and error? Anyone know where I could find a diagram or pictures or something of the parts and pieces that make up the auto shifter? I hate to just take a screwdriver to it and take it apart to see without knowing what all is in there that I'd have to deal with.
Old 1/22/08, 03:10 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I think B&M makes a shifter, not sure if it will work with the Mustang, but they make a manual looking shifter, with more like a sequential motion, looks pretty cool.