05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Audio Questions

Search this Thread

Old 1/5/08, 01:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audio Questions

I have spent an hour searching the posts and haven't found what I think will help me. On the Shaker 500 aftermarket radio harness there is a small harness with to RCA jacks and 2 blue wires. What do these connect to? We have tried them in the plug for the Sub. The unit is a Dual XDVD8183 and it only has a a single Sub output. If we get a Y Jack to this Sub can we connect the door subs to it. Now these blue wires I havn't the foggiest. Thanks
Old 1/5/08, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Eleanor Dreaming
I have spent an hour searching the posts and haven't found what I think will help me. On the Shaker 500 aftermarket radio harness there is a small harness with to RCA jacks and 2 blue wires. What do these connect to? We have tried them in the plug for the Sub. The unit is a Dual XDVD8183 and it only has a a single Sub output. If we get a Y Jack to this Sub can we connect the door subs to it. Now these blue wires I havn't the foggiest. Thanks
Assuming you're referring to an aftermarket harness you got from a 3rd party like Crutchfield/etc., then the two blue wires are the remote-turn-on leads for the factory sub amps. One goes to the front door sub amps and one goes to the rear shaker 1000 amps.

Even if you just have a Shaker 500, just connect the two blue wires together and connect it to a a power source that is on with your ignition (the red wire in the larger harness into your shaker 500 can be tapped into for that..). Connecting it directly is OK, but will result in a bad sounding speaker-pop from your door subs every time the amps power on. To fix this, you will need a 5V voltage regulator - do a search for that.

This is all fresh in my head because I just replaced my shaker with a carputer just last month.. let me know if you need any help.
Old 1/5/08, 08:26 PM

Here's the voltage regulator you need.. http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...tId=2062599&cp

I'm not sure which lead is which, because I haven't put one in yet, but one lead will tap into your Vacc (red wire in big harness to shaker), one into a constant 12V (yellow wire in big harness to shaker), and one to ground (black wire in big harness to shaker).

The reason we need this is because the factory amps are designed to accept a 5 volt turn-on signal. A 12 volt signal causes the speakers to pop upon startup. Over the long term, I'm sure this isn't good for your speaker, but I've been popping my speakers for the last few weeks and my speakers are fine.. I'll be putting in the regulator tomorrow.
Old 1/5/08, 09:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks so much, I took a chance and went ahead. Ended up the way you explained and it worked great.
Old 1/6/08, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by krnpimpsta
Here's the voltage regulator you need.. http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...tId=2062599&cp

I'm not sure which lead is which, because I haven't put one in yet, but one lead will tap into your Vacc (red wire in big harness to shaker), one into a constant 12V (yellow wire in big harness to shaker), and one to ground (black wire in big harness to shaker).
Great, I'm glad everything worked out. By the way, the bolded part in my quote should be replaced with "the two blue wires in the small harness with RCA's". Oops.